L16 front cover

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ya i guess i shouldve checked the "for sale" first. i dont know why i assumed it'd be a tough find. unsure.gif my apologies!

about the hole itself, i'm not sure... i bought the whole truck from a junkyard as my first project, but i didn't know about this little detail at the time. there doesn't appear to be any damage to the crank but i bet the timing chain is fuxed up. i'm in the process of tearing it down to assess the damage. it does start which wouldn't be possible without a somewhat functional timing chain right? it did idle for a good 10 minutes (a great thing to do to a 40 year old oil-less engine, i know) when i went to check it out but of course as soon as i bought it it wouldn't start again and since getting it home (uhaulbiggrin.gif) it won't idle very well at all. due to inexperience i'm kind of afraid to do fixes of this magnitude....... i dunno. i guess we'll see.

ya i guess i shouldve checked the "for sale" first. i dont know why i assumed it'd be a tough find. unsure.gif my apologies!

about the hole itself, i'm not sure... i bought the whole truck from a junkyard as my first project, but i didn't know about this little detail at the time. there doesn't appear to be any damage to the crank but i bet the timing chain is fuxed up. i'm in the process of tearing it down to assess the damage. it does start which wouldn't be possible without a somewhat functional timing chain right? it did idle for a good 10 minutes (a great thing to do to a 40 year old oil-less engine, i know) when i went to check it out but of course as soon as i bought it it wouldn't start again and since getting it home (uhaulbiggrin.gif) it won't idle very well at all. due to inexperience i'm kind of afraid to do fixes of this magnitude....... i dunno. i guess we'll see.

hey its not a big project man, trust me, it seems like oh my gosh i have to take the whole front of the engine off, well guess what? you have one of the easiest engines in the world to work on, theres not many if any hard places to reach into to get to something. we can find you a good cover for cheap. about you idling it for 10 minutes with out checking the oil, that wasnt too good, i hope you didnt hurt anything internally, btu if you did it woudl giv eyou a good excuse to do a rebuild or swap to an l20b. your inmemhis i see, so did the junkyard have any other datsun trucks? im not to far from you.

it did idle for a good 10 minutes (a great thing to do to a 40 year old oil-less engine, i know) when i went to check it out but of course as soon as i bought it it wouldn't start again and since getting it home it won't idle very well at all. due to inexperience i'm kind of afraid to do fixes of this magnitude....... i dunno. i guess we'll see.

Running engine with no oil to see if you want to buy it...... might as well fix this then the rings and bearings for practice. I've a feeling you are going to do this again. That hole doesn't happen, its been in an accident or jumped onto something. Take it back to where ever you got it and show it to him. Tell him you want your money back or you'll burn his house down. Act crazy.

• Like 1

ya i got it from little rock which was a fun experience lemme tell ya. i ended up having to make two trips in two days so, ya, if i wasn't so sick of the place already i'd have been out there two weeks ago tearing somebody up. i just want to drive this thing now. $35 sounds real nice. i would like a picture though. i'm in the process of dismantling now. ill keep you guys updated on the findings.

progress progress... how long does it take a beginner to take out an alternater, fuel pump, radiator, crankshaft pulley, oil pump, and front cover? about 6 hours. that was frustrating, exhausting, and confusing. how do you people do this all day?

so a better picture of the problem...or at least a better angle...

5199998305_8256da944f_m.jpg

5200591202_8913408d89_m.jpg

and guess what else was just floating around inside?

5200590694_31c2359a1f_m.jpg

somewhat dangerous i think? dry.gif cant believe they sold this sh*t to me.

this is the right side chain guide thing.

5200590464_3a60c646aa_m.jpg

5199997565_2f93902bf5_m.jpg

5200589886_73de0eee11_m.jpg

so replacement front cover and chain guide and we've fixed the initial oil leak problem, and since this has more than a little to do with the chain being loose, i probably won't have to mess with timing right? thanks for the help folks.

well yes and no, if the chain didnt jump then no adjustment needed, if the chain jumped, then yes you need to fix it, hainz has a good video about all of this, maybe he will see this and chime in! as for the 6hrs thing, your learning so have patience!!! most guys on here can remove and entire engine tranny and have the bay stripped in about 2 hours but your just beginning and taking your time, way to go man!!!! its good to jump into it head first, keep it up and youll be a regular datzenmike. hey did you get my message?

progress progress... how long does it take a beginner to take out an alternater, fuel pump, radiator, crankshaft pulley, oil pump, and front cover? about 6 hours. that was frustrating, exhausting, and confusing. how do you people do this all day?

so a better picture of the problem...or at least a better angle...

5199998305_8256da944f_m.jpg

5200591202_8913408d89_m.jpg

and guess what else was just floating around inside?

5200590694_31c2359a1f_m.jpg

somewhat dangerous i think? dry.gif cant believe they sold this sh*t to me.

this is the right side chain guide thing.

5200590464_3a60c646aa_m.jpg

5199997565_2f93902bf5_m.jpg

5200589886_73de0eee11_m.jpg

so replacement front cover and chain guide and we've fixed the initial oil leak problem, and since this has more than a little to do with the chain being loose, i probably won't have to mess with timing right? thanks for the help folks.

Take it back and get your money back and on the way home stop off and burn his house down.

http://www.guba.com/watch/3000024223/Hainz-Datsun-L-Series-Engine-01-Timing-Tare-down-and-Rebuild

so its fixed already?

I lower the oil pan just slightly to get the front cover back on.

Watch vid it can help.

If the timming marks was good before you removed everything it still should be OK.as you wavent removed the chain.

watch vid it enough to get you buy.also if a longer thermostat housing bolt was used it pushes the tite side chain guide on the chain thus rubbing the chainguide. I personally dont see how the tite side can break. they usually have no wear on them either. most times the tensioner and slack side guide has the most wear.

should put this in the engine section

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.