Were do i get a 280zx short shift kit

Fivedime650

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

so i was looking at that site earlyer today... would i have to cut that shifter shorter. thats what i did to the one on my car now. im assuming they give u a shifter that is the same length as the stock one just the folcrom point is different

dont cut it?

the shifter length has nothing to do with its throw, unless you want the mad JDMtyteYO street cred of having a short looking shifter..... :rolleyes:

The length above the fulcrum point is longer than the length below so there is a mechanical advantage or better leverage. Effort over a long distance = easier. Think of walking up a ramp 2 feet high or climbing directly 2 feet vertical. Same work but one feels harder. If you were to shorten the shifter length to a half inch above the fulcrum you probably couldn't even shift it.

Shortening the shifter above the fulcrum point will mean the loss of mechanical advantage. The shift knob will move less distance but will require more effort.

Keeping the same length shifter, but raising the fulcrum point will also result in loss of leverage or mechanical advantage. The shift distance will be shorter but the same work is required so it will seem stiffer.

I have never liked the looks of a shortened shifter. Shifters should be up where you can easily grab them or rest you hand on and not some 4 1/2" Miata looking nob..

Taking the shifter out and shortening it is crappy and looks crappy.

The previous owner of my goon cut the shifter down, and it BLEW ASS! It was really hard to shift, and REALLY hard to put the damn thing in reverse. What's worse is he had a "JDM YO" type knob on it that was stuffed with tape to hold it on. No threads, no lock screw, just tape. Very JDM, indeed..