Turn signal issue

The Octopus

Took the new dime out for a ride today, and noticed that the left turn signal doesn't like to flash at idle, starts flashing as I hit the pedal, and then speeds up as RPM's increase. When I come back down to idle, it stops flashing again. Both front and rear left signals flash when it's working, and the right turn signal works totally normally. Wiring looks good at the signals, and the flasher relay obviously isn't bad if the right signal works just fine. Any thoughts? I'm totally confused.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The flasher is load dependent, in other words it needs enough bulbs to draw enough current through the flasher to make it flash. You may have seen cars with trailers behind and the signal lights flash much faster because there are more bulbs in the circuit. A poor connection anywhere in the wiring or at the bulb socket or a blown bulb can reduce the current flow to the point it just won't flash. Current flow is also voltage dependent and idle voltage is always lower than when revved up. Go to an auto supply store and get an electronic flasher. It has a small circuit with transistors and a built in delay and a relay that will flash any number of lights at the same speed. Don't forget the emergency 4 way flasher too.

Thanks again Mike. I'm familiar with flasher relays having swapped out plenty of lights for LED alternatives on other vehicles, I just have never seen one flash faster as RPMs increase. It makes total sense when you explain it, however.

I'll double check connections all around, and pick up a new flasher. 510 flashers are under the steering column, yes?

What do you mean by emergency 4-way flasher? You mean don't forget a relay for the hazards as well? My hazards are actually not working at all, right now, but I haven't had time to tear into it to figure out why.

Not really a relay. The hazards use a blinker can like the turn signals, although on some older Datsuns the wiring is different so you can't just swap them. Later ones you could.

The faster signals when revved up is a common issue when you have the original 35A alternator, especially with the headlights on. Difference left/right is usually because at some point a different kind of bulb was used in one of the housings, so it draws more or less current than the original.

• 5 weeks later...

I'm looking for a little help with the electronic type flashers. I'm going to do the blinking side marker lights as per the dime Quarterly articles. When I went to the parts store the flasher listed in the article isn't availabe.

I was asked if I needed a 2 or 3 prong flasher? anyone know ?(and will I once I pull the old ones out)?

So will any electronic flasher do? is it a different flasher for the hazards?(type) and are they under the steering wheel on a 510?

Hope it's not considered bad form to post questions in someone elses thread, this thread was the closest to what I was looking for. Thanks

I'm looking for a little help with the electronic type flashers. I'm going to do the blinking side marker lights as per the dime Quarterly articles. When I went to the parts store the flasher listed in the article isn't availabe.

I was asked if I needed a 2 or 3 prong flasher? anyone know ?(and will I once I pull the old ones out)?

So will any electronic flasher do? is it a different flasher for the hazards?(type) and are they under the steering wheel on a 510?

Hope it's not considered bad form to post questions in someone elses thread, this thread was the closest to what I was looking for. Thanks

Dont do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dont you need a 2 element bulb(socket)

Like DatsunMike explained, the circuit is sensitive to resistance. On the old cars and trucks we have, you need to trace all the way through the electrical circuit.

This includes all the grounds. Cars are pretty easy, the whole body is welded together, except the front fenders.

On trucks, you need to make sure the taillight is grounded to the bed, the bed grounded to the frame, the frame grounded to the engine, the frame grounded to the cab, and the engine grounded to the cab, and the engine has to have a good connection to the negative post on the battery.

You dont need a dual element socket and you splice the factory ground wire on the side marker into the turn signal blinker line.

There is a write up on the dime quarterly's website http://dimequarterly.tierranet.com/ under electrical. It is also in vol.1 issue1. There is also a diagram and quick write up on doing the rear markers in vol.11 issue1(done the same way).

So again, any help with the flasher unit, any electronic regulated flasher will do? or is there a praticular type I need? Thanks