Almost hurt Theo!

Jennifer

My 510's name is Theodore!

So Tuesday night or day, it was raining. I got out of school around 9pm and just realized it was raining. I never drove Theo in the rain before, I recently got him about 2 months ago. I just recently switched my 15' rims/tires to 14's because the tires were rubbing bad. My friend helped me switched them and forgot to tell me that the tires he switched for me for BALD. The other reason I had to switch my tires/rims was because every time I would turn my wheel too much (to me, it wasn't too much) but it would make this crrrrrrrr sound like grinding and it would just mess up my steering, it would go wiggity wack (the problem comes and go). Still can't figure out what it is, friend thinks it is the steering box (Is this happening to your 510 too?). Well anyway, Fast forward to the day. I got in my car and started driving slow. I was first at the light to turn left, so I'm going, and needed to make the turn but didn't want to turn too much because of the steering problem so I gassed it a bit, next thing I know I'm freaking busting a donut and I realize that I'm about to hit someone, so I switch to neutral and brake hard (my brakes are bad too but so happy it stopped for me). I was traumatized for a couple seconds and realize like 10 cars are waiting for me to move. I wanted to say sorry but thought that wasn't important than moving out of the way so people can go home. So I get myself together, put theo in reverse and go on for the night. I drove 30 miles/hr for the remainder of the night. Now searching for tires to buy.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest DatsuNoob

Welcome Jennifer! Yeah... dont do that any more, ok? Bald tires + Rain + 'gassing it'= bad news for Theo. I wonder what kind of offset you have on those wheels. It's possible the inside toe of the tire is rubbing something inside the wheel well. Best way to check that would be to jack up the front, pull off one of the rims and check for any black rub or clean marks on any of your suspension parts/wheel well area. If that doesnt work, get into a Les Schwab and see what they say, they do free estimates and diagnosis.

• Like 1

We want you around for a long time so try to be more involved in you car. I don't mean this in a lecture kind of way. I mean that if you were helping you would be more aware of the condition of your tires. Let me put it another way.... would you let someone else pack your parachute? :lol: Well, same thing. Your life and others are at risk every time you drive. Minimize that rick as much as you can. Ask questions.

The 510 was ... ok 40 years ago but a lot of parts are original and well used and worse the suspension may have been modified and the handling characteristics not necessarily improved. Tires rubbing on turns? What happens if you HAVE to turn to avoid going over a cliff? What happens if you HAVE to get stopped? Always think worst case scenario and prepare your vehicle accordingly, it makes day to day driving pleasant and more fun.

• Like 1

Welcome Jennifer! Yeah... dont do that any more, ok? Bald tires + Rain + 'gassing it'= bad news for Theo. I wonder what kind of offset you have on those wheels. It's possible the inside toe of the tire is rubbing something inside the wheel well. Best way to check that would be to jack up the front, pull off one of the rims and check for any black rub or clean marks on any of your suspension parts/wheel well area. If that doesnt work, get into a Les Schwab and see what they say, they do free estimates and diagnosis.

Thanks for the concern :), I will definitely go to Les Schwab!

We want you around for a long time so try to be more involved in you car. I don't mean this in a lecture kind of way. I mean that if you were helping you would be more aware of the condition of your tires. Let me put it another way.... would you let someone else pack your parachute? :lol: Well, same thing. Your life and others are at risk every time you drive. Minimize that rick as much as you can. Ask questions.

The 510 was ... ok 40 years ago but a lot of parts are original and well used and worse the suspension may have been modified and the handling characteristics not necessarily improved. Tires rubbing on turns? What happens if you HAVE to turn to avoid going over a cliff? What happens if you HAVE to get stopped? Always think worst case scenario and prepare your vehicle accordingly, it makes day to day driving pleasant and more fun.

Yes sir, I just bought the haynes repair manual, my friend is helping me find tires on ebay. Thanks!

welcome.

My friend helped me switched them and forgot to tell me that the tires he switched for me for BALD.

it would go wiggity wack

:no: dont blame a 'friend' for something that is supposed to be checked BEFORE you get in the car.

but feel free to go wiggity wack on him for not informing you. ;)

• 2 weeks later...