1970 510 IRS to 1978 510 conversion

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you bother to search around some?

Theres a few threads on here where people have done this conversion, but if your skills are not up to par, please dont even start doing it. And frankly, if you have to ask how hard it is. Dont do it.

I dont mean to sound like a dick, but theres some work involved and most times people never finish projects they start. Hate to see another 510 goto the crusher or be ruined.

Post pics of your ride tho!

Ask yourself:

Why? What are my expectations? Will this really make the difference in ride and handling worth the work? Would stiffer shocks and springs and lowering 3" be just as good?

1/ Do I have the IRS available? Is it in good shape and worth the bother using, or will I just be transplanting somebody's problems. Am I familiar with the IRS and it's eccentricities? It's strange camber/toe problems when lowered, coil springs?

2/ Do I have the welding and fabrication skills necessary to see this through to completion? Have I done similar work before?

3/ Do I have a safe, clean, large work place to do this? Tools? Equipment?

4/ Can the car be off the road for an extended time? Do I have a DD I can use meanwhile? Do I have the TIME?

5/ Do I have the necessary funds to pay for all the extra parts and things that crop up on a build like this? If you have enough money 1 through 4 can be thrown away and a professional shop can do it.

It becomes increasingly more difficult to complete this swap with good results the more of the 1-5 above that are lacking. Yes, it's do-able, anything is do-able. I'm not saying you can't do this, not at all, what I don't want to see is an unfinished project that ends as a scrapped car, no matter how well intentioned you were at the start. Examine your motives for this. Research similar projects.... there's a 510 wagon that is having a sedan IRS installed to replace the H-190 solid axle and leaf springs. The build thread is either here or on The Realm, I forget. Collect all the necessary parts and rebuild if necessary. Learn the welding skills or have someone who can help (no, not cousin Elmo) someone who know more than you and can do this. Have alternate transportation and a place close by to work on it. Save up ALL the money needed and double it to be safe.

Than-you so much izzo for the links.

• Like 2

I wouldn't bother, well unless you just want it to look gangster that was the reason we put 510 IRS in a 510 wagon. IMO its not really going to be a suspension upgrade. Semi trailing arms aren't really that good. Like Mike said to much camber caster gains during suspension travel.

1) i do have the resources and knowledge

2) i do have the tools and work space

3) i do have a full rear end.

This is a HL hatch back 510 not a PL510. It was already cut up when a got it. Unless someone knows where i can get a lsd 3rd member for my axle, i am using this car for auto cross, i will consider not doing the swap. It has a 4 link set up in it right now that is original.

1) i do have the resources and knowledge

2) i do have the tools and work space

3) i do have a full rear end.

This is a HL hatch back 510 not a PL510. It was already cut up when a got it. Unless someone knows where i can get a lsd 3rd member for my axle, i am using this car for auto cross, i will consider not doing the swap. It has a 4 link set up in it right now that is original.

sweet, show some pictures :D