airbag suspensions

thisisn8n

hey guys. im interested in bagging my wagon. ive seen a few comments on it here and there, but not too much into detail. im new to the airbag game and i dont want to do all the stuff that comes with a irs swap (not going to be a performer) looking for a mild setup. from what ive heard you can take a few leafes out of the back and have the bag in between there, but wasnt sure. also, dont really know what to do up from. im in a 72 510 and i would like to keep the backseats funtional if possible. please let me know any input you have on the topic.. pics, experience, good places to order a setup.... thank

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So you want like a bolt in kit??? .......... .. one of those ones that require no fabrication or cutting?

lol no, unfortunately i realize those dreams off mine are still just dreams. i know the are somewhat "universal" struts that you would have to make new mounting points for and things along those lines. but im not trying to cut the whole bottom off and reconstruct the whole rearend. just wanted input on the easiest way to go about it. once agian this is no performer. maybe 200hp for the final goal. i want to use this as a daily driver.

Rota RB 15x7 +20 Gunmetal with 175/55/15s all around.

IMG_1363.jpg

That wagon has 3 inch lowering blocks in the rear...... and probably removed a leaf ....... he has air shocks ...... not air bags

Any 3 inch lowering block will require major cutting of the rear driveshaft tunnel and rear seat area:

When I cut up my driveline tunnel, I had to reconfigure the exhaust to clear it. I didn't need to channel it, I just squeezed the curve as tight as I could between the body and the axle. The muffler was relocated to the spare tire location and that seemed to help because then I could concentrate on a nice smooth pipe run where I needed it. The axle pretty much rests on the exhaust when I'm aired out but I still have some ground clearance at this height for cruising around parking lots. To drive it on the street I have to put the air shocks at about 70 psi, it raises the back about 1.5 inches and then I can put my kids in the back seat and hit bumps without banging on the stops. I don't hit any part of my tunnel anymore. I think the airshocks are a big key to getting low.

datin.jpg

dat12.jpg

dat11.jpg

dat14.jpg

IMG_0045.jpg

IMG_0046.jpg

I did have to cut up my rear seat to get it to sit right and the green tunnel cover came from my sunroof removal piece. I bent the metal around the post of the basketball standard in my front yard. I have 3" blocks, 1.5" dearched springs and I modified my front leaf hanger so that it does not hang as low and that gave me a little more drop.

Your options for front suspension:

-- 280zx struts with the spring perches cut off and coilover perches welded on.....

-- Stock 510 struts with coilover perches welded on.... (and you could shorten the struts too) ,,,, but with a 200hp mystery motor you will want better brakes..... (so you might as well start with the 280zx struts)

You could spend $500-900 on just front suspension,, ($200 coilovers ,,, $125 shock inserts ,,,,, $90 bump steer spacers.... weld-on coilover perches ($$??),,,, camber plates???)

I have never seen anyone post pics of airbagged front struts on a wagon........ so good luck with that

i think to bag the front, you need to:

a-bust out wallet and fab skills

b-cut the whole front of your car off and run upper and lower a-arms

thats the only way i could see it happening without some kind of high dollar air struts(which probably dont exist)

if you make it work..........show pics!!!!

Your options for front suspension:

-- 280zx struts with the spring perches cut off and coilover perches welded on.....

-- Stock 510 struts with coilover perches welded on.... (and you could shorten the struts too) ,,,, but with a 200hp mystery motor you will want better brakes..... (so you might as well start with the 280zx struts)

You could spend $500-900 on just front suspension,, ($200 coilovers ,,, $125 shock inserts ,,,,, $90 bump steer spacers.... weld-on coilover perches ($$??),,,, camber plates???)

I have never seen anyone post pics of airbagged front struts on a wagon........ so good luck with that

im almost done putting the l18 back in there. i plan on keeping that in there for a while, and maybe eventually get to a ka or sr swap, but mostly stock. (like i said MAX 200hp) n thats a while in the futre. ive heard of someone putting a mr2 air strut on the front. ill have to search again and ask whoever it was. i realize im going to need better brakes, but i was just mainly trying to get info on the airbag stuff for now

That wagon has 3 inch lowering blocks in the rear...... and probably removed a leaf ....... he has air shocks ...... not air bags

Any 3 inch lowering block will require major cutting of the rear driveshaft tunnel and rear seat area:

thanx for the pics. lot of great info. looks like i will have to cut some, cuz i would like to at least get that low. do most people that bag wagons only bag the back?

I got your PM the other day, sorry i didnt respond there.

On the front you can run a replacement strut with a built in air bag / sleev like this.......

hrdp_0701_15_z+air_suspension+three_air_spring_configurations.jpg

www.suicidedoors.com sells them but they arent cheap.

On the rear to fully lay out will require alot of floor modification to clear the driveshaft & quite possibly a 4 link setup & or a 2 link with a panhard bar.

That green wagon has "air-shocks" in the rear........... NOT "air-bags" ...... there is a big difference....... I have seen a couple custom four-linked wagons... one with coilovers + 4 link

I understand the difference from air bags n air shocks. The question wasnt directly refering to the pictures. Sorry for the confusion. Do u happen to have any pics of any with the 4 link setup

I got your PM the other day, sorry i didnt respond there.

On the front you can run a replacement strut with a built in air bag / sleev like this.......

hrdp_0701_15_z+air_suspension+three_air_spring_configurations.jpg

www.suicidedoors.com sells them but they arent cheap.

On the rear to fully lay out will require alot of floor modification to clear the driveshaft & quite possibly a 4 link setup & or a 2 link with a panhard bar.

No worries. Thanks a bunch for the info and pics. Looks like I have some saving to do. If I don't plan on having the wagon floored, is there any less extreme setups that u have seen in the rear (beside the 2 or 4 links)

i put Monroe air shocks on the rear of my 411 way cheaper. i had to mod the inlet to get them to raise and lower faster and to except a bigger line for the front i used a airbag

check out the build tread http://community.rat...reakys-new-411/

good luck

AWSOME!!! that was a GANG of useful info.... is there any reason why the monroe shocks wont work on the front?? and do you know why that person had said the monroe setup in the back may not work well for long, or was he talking about the bags? The car looks SICK btw. i wish my 510 had the stock beat up paint job. unfortunately the previous owner did a horrible rattlecan white.... so im gonna do a BETTER rattlecan white!!!

You could try to use a universal mcphearson strut airbag. The specs according to the ebay seller:

Designed for to slip over your Factory/Performance Struts. (Pressure tube must be less then 2.14 in Diameter). A Bag within a bag...

4.0" Compressed

9.25" Extended

5.875" Outside Diameter

2.17" Inside Diameter

The link for the ebay seller is: universal strut bag

I couldnt paste the pictures so if any one could paste them to the thread that would be good.

AWSOME!!! that was a GANG of useful info.... is there any reason why the Monroe shocks wont work on the front?? and do you know why that person had said the Monroe setup in the back may not work well for long, or was he talking about the bags? The car looks SICK btw. i wish my 510 had the stock beat up paint job. unfortunately the previous owner did a horrible rattlecan white.... so im gonna do a BETTER rattlecan white!!!

the problem i ran it to was finding a shock small enough to fit my application.So that is why i went to air bags.i dont remember if i posted pic of the mod we made to the air shock but if your are interested let me know i will share my knowledge :lol: it is very limited

You could try to use a universal mcphearson strut airbag. The specs according to the ebay seller:

Designed for to slip over your Factory/Performance Struts. (Pressure tube must be less then 2.14 in Diameter). A Bag within a bag...

4.0" Compressed

9.25" Extended

5.875" Outside Diameter

2.17" Inside Diameter

The link for the ebay seller is: universal strut bag

I couldnt paste the pictures so if any one could paste them to the thread that would be good.

those look like they could work pretty good.ill prolly end up doing the 280zx brakes and struts and use those. if/when i do it, ill be sure to post pics