77 kingcab

sdsurf

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest DatsuNoob

It's possible that it may have a 5 speed. The "Deluxe" models came with disc brake, front bumper guards, and a 5 spd trans. Only way to know for sure is to stick your arm in there and try the shifter.

The 5-speed was optional. Most had 4-speeds, 5-speeds were a bit more common on KCs though. 5-speeds didn't become standard on trucks until well into the 720 series.

And the "Deluxe" doesn't mean it had disc brakes- ALL '77s had drums, and ALL '78s had Discs. It was a model year change. In '76-77 the "Deluxe" badge simply meant upgraded bumpers, a center console, factory radio, and bucket seats (yes, KCs had a bench in '76-77, though very few exist anymore).

im with 'holic, mainily because i own a 79...and it has a 4 speed. 5 speeds were pretty rare from the research i have done. and don't trust "trying out the shifter" because my transmission will shift into where 5th should be, there just isnt anything there. i also don't think they made KC's till 77, and my 79 had a bench in it, im pretty sure it wasn't the deluxe model though. the sad thing is...i threw my bench in the dumpster (but it was pretty much shot)

Being that I OWN a '76 King Cab (and no, it's not a '77 titled as a '76) I'm pretty sure they existed. They were introduced a little later in the model year, I've never seen one with a late 1975 build date, but mine is pretty early in '76 and the VIN bears it out.

I've had both a '76 and a '77 and there were a fair number of differences, mostly in wiring. Mine is the "Deluxe" version, but no A/C or any options at all except the rubber pushers on the front, the center console, carpet, and buckets.

Yours is a '79. The definition for the "Deluxe" version changed over time. In '79 a Deluxe added a different steering wheel (fake woodgrain 3-spoke, actually added for '78 I think) and had 3-speed (2 speed plus delay) wipers as a very rare option, as well as fabric door panels and a dimmable rear-view mirror. I don't know of that was a standard "Deluxe" item or an add-on, though. Deluxe all had Deluxe fender badges AFAIK.

Not to mention that all the "Deluxe" pieces could be added individually as add-on options to a standard truck. I'm not sure about the carpet- KCs may have never had rubber mats like the standard cabs (every KC I've seen had carpeting, I rode in a non-deluxe KC back in the 80s but I don't recall anything other than it had a bench.

Guest DatsuNoob
im with 'holic, mainily because i own a 79...and it has a 4 speed. 5 speeds were pretty rare from the research i have done. and don't trust "trying out the shifter" because my transmission will shift into where 5th should be, there just isnt anything there. i also don't think they made KC's till 77, and my 79 had a bench in it, im pretty sure it wasn't the deluxe model though. the sad thing is...i threw my bench in the dumpster (but it was pretty much shot)

Well, whatever. If you cant tell a transmission is in gear you probably shouldn't drive a stick. What's up with you always trying to discredit anything I say or post? I learn from what I observe in junkyards, read up on, and from what I gather based on my own personal experience. Not from being a know-it-all or preaching bullshit. If I was misinformed about factory options, big deal. I checked the one at P-A-P and it was a 5 speed. Done

dude im really sorry, didnt mean to come off like that, i was just trying to help out. im the furthest thing from a know-it-all on this forum, i am like you man, i just know from what i have observed. i was also just discussing factory options with 'holic because he knows what he is talking about. again dude, sorry, didnt mean to come across like that.

It's possible that it may have a 5 speed. The "Deluxe" models came with disc brake, front bumper guards, and a 5 spd trans. Only way to know for sure is to stick your arm in there and try the shifter.

Probably time to learn your Datsun before you state things like this as fact or true and then go get all Butthurt when some one corrects you on your mistake. Ya, I know you are not going to like this being said, but quit stating things that you cannot backup an true/fact. At least put a little question into the Fact of the statement. Like "I believe", OR "AFAIK".

Maybe after a while you will be able to lose the NOOB of the end of your name.

Jason

Guest DatsuNoob
Probably time to learn your Datsun before you state things like this as fact or true and then go get all Butthurt when some one corrects you on your mistake. Ya, I know you are not going to like this being said, but quit stating things that you cannot backup an true/fact. At least put a little question into the Fact of the statement. Like "I believe", OR "AFAIK".

Maybe after a while you will be able to lose the NOOB of the end of your name.

Jason

First off, I gave myself that name after I bought my truck and didn;t know much about them. Second, an old timer at the junkyard told me about some of the stuff that separated the deluxe models, so I never claimed to be any kind of expert on 30+ yr old subject matter. If you dont like what I said or don't believe it, go read a friggin encyclopedia, figure it out for yourself, and eat shit. Do you know how to shift a fucking car? Can you tell when there's a 5th gear?!! The reason for the previous post was, it seems like I can even post a friggin ebay find without someone rubbing my nose in it that they did it first or making a mockery of something I say by putting stupid "quotations" around it. I dont get "BUTTHURT", just irritated by people's inflated sense of self importance. So.... in the future I think you should just remove your nose from other people's disputes before you find a fist in it one day, thank you. :fu: I'm done.

First off, I gave myself that name after I bought my truck and didn;t know much about them. Second, an old timer at the junkyard told me about some of the stuff that separated the deluxe models, so I never claimed to be any kind of expert on 30+ yr old subject matter. If you dont like what I said or don't believe it, go read a friggin encyclopedia, figure it out for yourself, and eat shit. Do you know how to shift a fucking car? Can you tell when there's a 5th gear?!! The reason for the previous post was, it seems like I can even post a friggin ebay find without someone rubbing my nose in it that they did it first or making a mockery of something I say by putting stupid "quotations" around it. I dont get "BUTTHURT", just irritated by people's inflated sense of self importance. So.... in the future I think you should just remove your nose from other people's disputes before you find a fist in it one day, thank you. :fu: I'm done.

Sure sounds BUTTHURT to me.

My nose, your fist? What is this talk all about? And to think we were just discussing the lack of ASSHATS on this forum compared to so many other.

Jason

Guest DatsuNoob

I'm over it. I was never even pissed at Cruzn620. Just seems to me yello, had to get nosy and kick his two cents in. I hate that. As for getting butthurt as he put it, just keep dumb comments to one's self, and quit trying to get one up on another guy with the chippy little insults, and we'll do just fine. It's been my experience that alot of people get balsy on the keyboard and back down in person. As for the crude post with Cruzn620, I apologize if I overreacted. I just felt I was being made a mockery of, but it's not such a big deal as I know that's not how it was intended. If I could, I'd shake on it and buy him a beer. I've never had a problem with anyone here, and I'd like to keep it that way. Afterall nobody logs on here to exchange hate mail, atleast I don't.