Just got a 521.. any recomended upgrades?

Gensaiken

So I just got a 71 521 in nice shape for $100. It has no motor but I have one waiting to go in to it.

I don't really know too much about the 521s. Is there anything to keep an eye on when working on a 521? Common problem pieces / places? Any simple upgrades that can be done? (when I speak of upgrades i'm thinking pretty simple swaps from other vehicles.. Interior, exterior, whatever.. hopefully require minimal modification..)

Anyways any information you can offer or sources of information would be great. I did some searching on the forums here but you can't search for "521" !! Whats up with that :rolleyes:

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm pretty new to 521's too.

There's a couple people floating around with ka24 swaps in their 521's and 620's. People swap on 280z 5spd tranny's, etc etc.

A few common/PITA problems are kingpins, bad wheel cylinders (good luck finding new ones), frozen adjusters, rust rust rust (like any datsun).

Anyway, congratulations! Post up some pics.

I'm pretty new to 521's too.

There's a couple people floating around with ka24 swaps in their 521's and 620's. People swap on 280z 5spd tranny's, etc etc.

A few common/PITA problems are kingpins, bad wheel cylinders (good luck finding new ones), frozen adjusters, rust rust rust (like any datsun).

Anyway, congratulations! Post up some pics.

So, Wheel cylinders for 521's are NLA? I'll have to call some places tomorrow and double check that. Hope thats not true.

I did the deal over the phone. My brother actually transported it to my dad's shop but thats about 200 miles away from me. Won't have any pics till I can get down there. From what he said he couldn't find much rust on it. I'll have to look for my self.

1. Disc brakes. Get some.

2. Dual master cylinder. Plumb one.

I drove mine maybe a half dozen times before downing for discs. Drums are just too antiquated.

~Brian

1. Disc brakes. Get some.

2. Dual master cylinder. Plumb one.

I drove mine maybe a half dozen times before downing for discs. Drums are just too antiquated.

~Brian

Hmm, I found some guides but I think i'm going to hold off for a while. First I got to get it moving. When I have more cash I'll likely consider doing some front discs...

So the 521 didn't come with a dual master cyl like the 510's did? What the heck... Oh well, another thing to add to the list.

The dual master upgrade is pretty easy. I used mostly Z stuff. The trickiest thing about doing this on the 521 is that you're pretty much going to have to mix and match SAE w/ metric fittings. The 521 stock brake stuff is mostly SAE. If you already have a flaring tool, no prob..

~Brian

I have bought new wheel cylinders. I got after market ones from Raybestos, and Autozone has them. I also got new cylinders from Nissan. I have seen both 13/16 and 3/4 rear wheel cylinders. The studs that mount the wheel cylinders can be SAE (American) thread, or metric.

Look through the "brakes" section of this forum. Lots of good info there.

I have bought new wheel cylinders. I got after market ones from Raybestos, and Autozone has them. I also got new cylinders from Nissan. I have seen both 13/16 and 3/4 rear wheel cylinders. The studs that mount the wheel cylinders can be SAE (American) thread, or metric.

Look through the "brakes" section of this forum. Lots of good info there.

Yeah I checked out the brakes section. I couldn't find much of a 100% answer to which wheel cylinder to use! 11/16, 13/16 or 3/4. Seemed like it was basicly whatever you could get / whatever was on the truck. Hopefully if I go to replace them it is easier then expected.

The dual master upgrade is pretty easy. I used mostly Z stuff. The trickiest thing about doing this on the 521 is that you're pretty much going to have to mix and match SAE w/ metric fittings. The 521 stock brake stuff is mostly SAE. If you already have a flaring tool, no prob..

~Brian

Hmm, sounds like it'll take some time.. brake lines don't like me much. So it might be a challange. :D

I just did a Z22 swap and a 200sx 5spd. swap into my 521. I am new to them too, heck its not even on the road yet either. I have ridden in them with the 4spd. and it does need a 5spd. I opted to simplify it and not spend too much money so thats why I stuck with the "L series" motor. Its going to be quick enough for the street. Dont waist your time with the KA. You'll be happy enough without it. I have a KA in my dime and my dad has one in his. Fast...yeah, if you want to spin the wheels aaallllll the time then do a large swap. But my truck will bark-em in 5th. cause I could do it in the dime when I had the motor in it. Do the brakes too. If you have any questions or need pics let me know. Also another thing to do is put another bench seat in thats more comfy like a toyota seat. Another thing, you'll find alot of bolts and nuts on the truck are SAE, or a wierd metric size like 11mm or 13mm. Good Luck!

Just my opinion :D

I just did a Z22 swap and a 200sx 5spd. swap into my 521. I am new to them too, heck its not even on the road yet either. I have ridden in them with the 4spd. and it does need a 5spd. I opted to simplify it and not spend too much money so thats why I stuck with the "L series" motor. Its going to be quick enough for the street. Dont waist your time with the KA. You'll be happy enough without it. I have a KA in my dime and my dad has one in his. Fast...yeah, if you want to spin the wheels aaallllll the time then do a large swap. But my truck will bark-em in 5th. cause I could do it in the dime when I had the motor in it. Do the brakes too. If you have any questions or need pics let me know. Also another thing to do is put another bench seat in thats more comfy like a toyota seat. Another thing, you'll find alot of bolts and nuts on the truck are SAE, or a wierd metric size like 11mm or 13mm. Good Luck!

Just my opinion :D

Tell me about the 5speed swap. What did you do about the crossmember? And the bell housing?

Gen if you do a 521 like your 510 it will be bitchin'

Hah, thanks. It might not get quite the same treatment but I'm going to do my best to keep it clean. :D