1jz into the 620's

FD3S

Would you even think about this?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Would you even think about this?

• Yes, You would do a 1JZ conversion if it were capable
    • Naw, You'd rather do a CA18DET if you had to choose
    • You are crazy and retard for even thinking of this idea.
    • ehh you try it first and do a write up , then talk to me

So I noticed what most people are having problems with swaps is that the Steering clolum area due to the exhuast's on the SR's and KA's I believe...

But has anyone thought about swappinng a 1jz into the 620's I'm not sure if it's posible yet but the intak would be on the steering colum side... as far as engine mounts and what not goes I'd have to have an engine to try to fit it it.... but any how since I'm tired of blowing up 13B-Rews in my 93 FD3S I'm doing a 1JZ swap into it as soon as there's a kit for the steering bump problem.. and during the mean time I just got myself a 74 620... and am looking at alternatives for some power and littler cash involve...

the 1jz's are obtainable for a price of around 800ish and 300 shipping...

The transmition on the 1jz tho how ever might be alittle longer so perhaps the shifter area would need to be cut back alittle? engine mounts move on the chassis upfward alittle I think... Keep in mind i'm just questimating from what I can see within my engine bay and what i can see on the 1JZ's ...

Please give Idea's and feedback thanks.:eek:

Perhaps the firewall might need alittle banging on where the tranny is located...

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A mate of mine has a 1985 Toyota PU with a 1JZ GTE and it is a VERY tight fit. I meausured the engine bay of my 720 and the 1JZ is a simply too long to fit, radiator would have to sit under/in front of the support panel. And that's assuming slight clearencing of the firewall. In my case I also have problems with the steering box sitting right where the turbos want to be, RHD in my case. Not sure if a 620 has more room, although it looks like it could accept a forward mounted radiator better then the 720.

They fit well in the 240 (sx). I have a crossmember at my shop setup for one. They're a really nice engine, built by Yamaha and I believe its rated at 280hp. If a guy isn't afraid of firewall work, it would work great. I don't recall if you'd need a front sump or rear sump model. ( I think the rear sump was in the Aristo but don't quote me on that.)

I believe if you cut the firewall alittle you should be able to get enough room the snug the rad into at and have the front mount mount... I imagine that you might have a little hump in the cap after the firewall work... When I perhaps by this summer I should have my engines... When I do I might try to fit the 1jz into the 620's

Just wondering If I made a kit would anyone be interested... please remember this wont be untill another 1.5y

As far as RHD goes I* believe the SR20DET and the RB series engine have the exhaust on the left side of the car so that That should work... with the RB series engine it's alittle shorter than the 1jz's and a bit wider instead... so it might be alittle more room..

Look here for engines...

http://www.nagasakijdmmotors.com/catalog/sr20det-complete-swap-p-118.html

If the RB is shorter then the 1JZ then you need some serious firewall surgery to make the 1JZ fit, the measurement I've been given has the RB ENGINE as long as a 720 engine bay. SR20DET has been done before with nice results, there was an FJ20 720 running around here a while ago.

If anyone Can get me the mesurments for

1jz

rb

and the stock engines + under the hood size I can figure something out... perhaps engine would need to be tucked ( cut firewall and tucked it.. ) only part would be unsure of how far back the tranny would go for the shifter..

cut and welded drive shaft ( shorter )

So I did some messuring and well... Please cross the idea out on 1jz, the only way you can get this to fit is with cutting the firewall and rewelding it basicly it would be alittle hump inside you cab kinda like the old school bus and vw's ... it's how ever posible to do tho. .. how ever with this there will be alot of heat displacment into the cab.. .and also noise because part of the engine would be rite there next to your foot

The KA doesnt produce much power... CA18's have been done and for the cost of a ca you could get a 1jz.... as far as VG30DETT I'm not sure how the messurments would go... but I can forsee that it would be tight fit ( Width wise ) people need to start usin their imaginations and not be scared of alittle cutting and welding ^_^... welll 6am time for work

i am sorry. i am going to have to bring you up to speed a little bit. you can install a ka, throw a turbo kit on it, and be powerful and just as expensive as purchasing a CA and installing it. and way easier than the 1jz.

ka's have plenty of potential. just not out of the box potential.

I had a CA. it was nice but after i purchased the motorset, rebuilt the 12 year old motor to bring it up to spec, installed it and then drove it. i was not impressed. i was way happier with the KA i used to have. power in instant (torque) and the CA you have to rev to get any power. I am not saying the CA is a crappy motor. but if you go $ to $ the KA will win every time, especially if you are looking for any type of performance parts for the CA. The performance parts for the CA are extreemly limited now since they have been out of the mainstream for so long. KA's are way easier to find stuff for.

sorry i am a fan of displacement and cheap power.

ka - 350 with tranny

turbo manifold - 200

holset turbo - 150

injectors - 200

megasquirt - 450 for everything

misc - 300

1650 total and you will be pushing 250-350hp

this is junkyard shopping and being careful on the boost and doing all your own work, most ka engines in stock form can handle 10-14psi reliably. hell alot of them see 400hp before showing any type of wear.

CA - 1300-1500

shipping - 300

1600-1800 for hte CA and they only produce 170hp out of the box.

both engines will need to be rebuilt being so old. BUT CA motors are harder to find parts for, most places that sell aftermarket stuff for the CA's have forgot to take the products off the website cause they don't have it anymore. believe me i have been there. it sucks.

so true! Its way cheaper to build a fast ka and its so funny how everyone thinks just because it has dual cams or two turbos its going to be the fastest out of all the cheaper engines available. Not saying thats the case here but its just what I have noticed lately. Like the dual cam ka vs. single cam, really not that much power difference when modifying the two. peace.

I've played with KA's for a while now I've had 3 Nissan S13 and 4 Nissan S14 (2 shells for parts ) They both are the same to me as the most power Ive ever felt was in The FD and my buddy's supra...

Just my i'd perfer something cappable of greater power...

just like when people say 2jz is better than 1j it's not. it really depends on what you are looking for

1j has higher rev forge piston / rod cast iron block... 2j lower rev more hp cast piston/rod.. cast iron block

really all in all both engines are the same depends on what your looking for both engines capable of 700 on stock ...

1jz recamended for lighter cars.

Yes I do agree with you however on KA-T,

I'm not afraid of a little cutting and welding. I just want to be able to legally drive my truck on the road, here cutting the firewall is a pain in the backside to make legal. If I get my hands on another truck I might see how far I can push it so it might well end up with *JZ-GTE power.

Now THAT would be cool. 720 KC with ol'school minitruck looks, modern interior, on bags with a 2JZ-GTE heart.

I've played with KA's for a while now I've had 3 Nissan S13 and 4 Nissan S14 (2 shells for parts ) They both are the same to me as the most power Ive ever felt was in The FD and my buddy's supra...

Just my i'd perfer something cappable of greater power...

just like when people say 2jz is better than 1j it's not. it really depends on what you are looking for

1j has higher rev forge piston / rod cast iron block... 2j lower rev more hp cast piston/rod.. cast iron block

really all in all both engines are the same depends on what your looking for both engines capable of 700 on stock ...

1jz recamended for lighter cars.

Yes I do agree with you however on KA-T,

yes supra's and FD's are really fast, but that is after you have put some money into them. i am all about cheap power. and KA-t is the way for me eventually.

and really your 620 is not going to need a ton of power to get you where you need to go since its so light. the 1jz is going to be an awesome swap. but remember you still have to beable to work in the engine bay when you are done. i saw a 510 with a RB26DETT in it and it was cool as hell but it would be murder to change the oil filter haha. i have a great example thou of how big motor and small cars are great. i had a friend that put a norstar v8 into 1990's vw golf. and guess what. that car got 50 mpg cause it only needed to idle everywhere it needed to go. and it was quick as hell. handled like a rock tied to a stick but still a very neat swap.

if you have the time, patience, and money i say go for the 1jz. just don't get in over your head and take lots of pictures!!! good luck.

sorry i just had to defend the KA, not that i am trying to pursuade your decision or anything like that.

I have a habbit of over dueing it sometimes or I should say over kill, I'mstarting to think again the 1J might be an over kill,

But anyhow It's posible there'd just be a big lump going inside of the firewall ( Like the Camero's engine bay ) if anyone has see the LS1 shits far back into the camero's engine bay the idea would be similar to that to get the 1J in... also to those who didnt know the 1J is shorter than the 2j ( Engine height) this would allow better clearance..

IRSA why is it illegal to have your firewall cut?

Here anything thats 75 and under is smog exempt and you can pretty much do almost anything to it...

Oh and I did love the KA's back then

Here in Australia they are REALLY strict on what you can do to your car. They don't like people cutting firewalls incase the modified firewall isn't as safe as original. I also have to retain all smog equipment for the truck or engine, and the engine has to be the same year OR NEWER. If the engine is newer you have to retain the later smog equipment. We also have displacment/weight limits and other restrictions.

Holy hell and to think I thought about moving to aus to live... luckily the wife said no she wants to stay and take car of my mother ... so I dont suspose when you get pulled over with a moddified vehicle they would tow it and crush it? is there a thing where your not allowed to drive performance vehicles in ausy untill you are 25 years of age or so ? some kid came onto rx7 forum asking about downgrading to a 4banger into the 7's said that...

• 3 months later...