possible 521 door seal hookup

datsunfish

I know just about everyone who has a 521 wonders about new door seals.There are some places to get it but it is kinda spendy.I have searched endlessly for the right shape but nothing til now.

I am an RV technician and work with various seals all the time.I finally came across some that should work for the 521 and its cheap.It is a winnebago part that I believe is for a Diesel engine access.It is press on with metal inside the channel to grip.I have test fit a piece and if it will do the bends nicely it should be great.I plan to install some soon and should be able to get it for anyone in need.For a small fee of course.

My cost is $1.15 per foot.I will figure how much is needed and figure something out.

2008_0108Image0022.jpg

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good find. Is there a part # available so maybe we can stop into an RV supply house & buy it ourselves? Unless you dont mind buying & shipping it out. Im sure youll have alot of orders including me..my seals are wasted & feel the cold air rushing in as i drive.

I brought some home today and just test fit it and so far it looks good.The "bulb" of the seal tends to kink a little on the lower rear corner.Not so bad at the front lower.It seals up fantastic on the straight runs.the top front corner is good and the rear top will have to be cut and glued back together.If anyone hasnt seen me write about it,super glue will seal foam rubber together nicely.

What I plan to do is make it work perfect on my truck first which I will do within a couple days.I will then be able to work out how much is needed and how much it will run.Stay tuned.:D

I have been working on the street in the rain and dark tonight.I dont mind so much but any pictures will suck right now.I just installed the drivers door seal and it is hard to shut because my door panel needs to be shortened in the rear.It did that with the stock ones.

They look good when the door is closed.I think it will work well.I will know tomorrow since its raining constantly.I can get some pics tomorrow with a droplight and daylight shots on saturday.

On my NL320 I used a set of door seals from a 1985 Ford ranger I was junking out, had to trim a bit to make shorter, but they fit really nice, and you can still find them easily in the pull-it-yourself wrecking yards for cheap in good shape. They seal better and wear better than most of the aftermarket stuff.

as for wipers, there was a guy on e-bay selling ones that he was getting from the nissan dealers in Canada, as I got a pair for my L520, they didn't have the little chrome strip or fuzzy, just black rubber wiper that needed a bit of trimming but worked prett slick.

Hope this helps,

Garry K in Kodiak, AK

as for wipers, there was a guy on e-bay selling ones that he was getting from the nissan dealers in Canada, as I got a pair for my L520, they didn't have the little chrome strip or fuzzy, just black rubber wiper that needed a bit of trimming but worked prett slick.

Hope this helps,

Garry K in Kodiak, AK

I think I tried to get some from that guy on e-bay last year and saddly he said he can no longer get them. Might be a different guy though!

A ranger, cool!

Ha ha.I agree.:lol:

I checked out the seal work under drop light tonight and I am not sure on this one.The rear vertical does not have the clearance needed to smoosh down.I have another seal with a smaller bulb but I forgot to bring it home.I will post up some pics tomorrow.

I agree with Pac... thanks for the research. It rains far too much here to have faulty seals...

I suppose the best way would be to stick with the thicker, softer seals rather than thin, harder ones, correct? Does anyone happen to know how much of a gap there is between the door and jamb?

Much thanks for the time and effort your putting into this for the 521 guys. Does anyone know where to find the window channel material so my windows dont rattle...:cursing:...it drives me crazy mad. I also may need them door seals so I'll be checking back.

Happy to be helping others in my own persuit.I am going to try another one this week as well as removing my door panel thats in the way of the one in there right now.

The channel material is easy to get.Jc whitney should have something.Just measure up the width and depth.The website kinda sucks compared to the actual catalog.

I havnt given up on this.I came across the one that I originally wanted but it is for a customer.I keep meaning to bring home another one that looks promising too.The one for the customer I think is more expensive but it is solid rather that a bulb.Better on the bends.

I have more projects than I can even try to realize but I have been trying to keep up on my 521.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry I havnt gotten back on this lately.I have a seal on my drivers side that I like.Not the same as stock but it works pretty nice.It is similar to the ranger seal garry k spoke of but better.I am going to hunt down the part # at work this week and I will get back to you all with pics and price.

Hey.Sorry its been taking forever on this.So basically I found one that worked well but not a 100 percent seal due to the flexibility of the bulb.Today I fished out a seal that looked good and it turns out it kicks ass.I fit a section on the 521 and it made complete contact and was stout enough to take the bends so I think the search is over.Tomorrow I will get the part# and price and get back to you all.I should be able to get some daylight pics too.

I think if it works out well enough that a lot of people want some I will try to convince our parts guy to get 100 feet for starters and ship it out per order.

Datfish: How much are you using for each door, roughly? About 9 feet?

Have you run a garden hose over it to check for leaks, or not yet?

Awesome work on the research though... Now if only you could work the same magic for those 521 squeeges... :D

Yes,squeeges.The next search.

I did run a water test on the last one and it faired pretty well but I could stick a small pocket screwdriver blade through the gaps where some water did come through.(mind you this was a full on pressurized spray up close).With the new seal it appears to leave no gaps.I should know for sure tomorrow and hopefully have some pics.

So this is the one that I found that I like the most.Very stout,flexible and easy to install.Sorry my doors are black so I will try to label each photo.

2008_0212Image0053.jpg

2008_0212Image0054.jpg

2008_0212Image0055.jpg

bottom edge of door when closed

2008_0212Image0056.jpg

bottom of door closed up close

2008_0212Image0057.jpg

back bottom corner sideways pic

2008_0212Image0058.jpg

same

2008_0212Image0059.jpg

front at dash

2008_0212Image0060.jpg

front door pillar.Some gapage here and along all window pillars.I believe the pillars wear and bow out.Might need to fix that.

2008_0212Image0060.jpg

front bottom corner

2008_0212Image0062.jpg

same

2008_0212Image0063.jpg

top window rail

This is a Fleetwood motor home part.The # we found for it is 217714.List price is $2.25 per foot at our store.That is a 100 percent markup.So basically I can get it for about $1.35 per foot.Shipping it would be about $15ish.

I will have him order up somebut please feel free to check with your local RV dealers and parts stores to see what you can get it for.

Curses!I just realized that you wont be able to use the stock threshold trim with any of these without modification.I will look into this since I actually have them.

OK.I looked at it and if you cut a slit on the top where the trim would usually seat it should be doable.Best if you have a bit of carpet to compensate the added height of the trim.Also the trim will sit a little high on the ends.I will definitely keep you all posted on this as well.Hopefully i can do mine in the next couple days.Still a kick ass seal though.