How to upgrade your L series Thermostat housing

motavated

The Thermostat housing I used was from a "unknown" Mazda FWD 4 cylinder From the 80's.... I believe a 1990-1996 Mazda Miata Thermostat housing will work as well and even better than the "unknown" Mazda fwd housing since its not bent up like the "Unknown" Mazda model housing. WARNING!!!! I have ++++NOT+++ Tried using the Mazda Miata Housing on my truck...

This is how it looks all installed with the "Unknown" Mazda FWD housing on my truck...

IMG_6742.jpg

As you can see I had to use a different upper radiator hose. I placed my "stock" temp switch on the top of the housing. And I placed my After-market sensor on the front...

Here is a picture of a Mazda Miata Housing. Its pretty much the same, but with out being bent up...

23816670192_large.jpg

I believe that the Miata housing can be made to work on the L series engine. I am Running the "unknown" Mazda housing for years with nOOOO problems yet. I have no idea if the Miata Housing will or will not work. But I dont see why not. It is up to you if you want to try it out... I take no responsibility for any damages... Thanks!

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I took pictures of a stock L series housing and a Miata housing.... THEY LOOK ALMOST IDENTICAL! The only difference I see is that the diameter of the outlet of the Miata housing is a tad smaller than the Datsun One... Here are the

pics... I dont see why it should not work... It's your call....

YES! I Have the Miata housing since I know it should work! But It is your call...

IMG_8247.jpg

IMG_8250.jpg

IMG_8248.jpg

IMG_8252.jpg

IMG_8253.jpg

Is this for a dime or a 620 because you can use after market temp sensor on a 620 housing

I am not sure what lower housing I am using. But my 74 has this similar housing. Only 3 Holes.... One for the temperature sensor, a egr sensor that looks like this.

ddd.jpg

and the nipple for the water to flow... The EGR hole was to small for a sensor... And the water hole was to big.... I found this Miata housing and It should work I guess. I don't care about looks. Just function. I think you can even use your stock radiator hose.

here is a better pic to see what I did

IMG_6740.jpg

The benefit for me is I have a sensor before and after the thermostat... I don't really have a fail safe thermostat... So the after market temp sensor will it tells me if the thermostat fails. I don't trust my "old" stock sensor as well...

I also needed the extra hole for the sensor since I am still running the coolant hoses that run from the head into the intake and into the lower water housing. That extra hole is very useful..

Not only that but many stock housings are eaten up. Nice to know that there is others that do fit and are still available at the junkyard from a newer car.... There are some Mazdas that dont have that hole... Like this one...

aaa.jpg

It's from a Mazda Truck, B 2000 i think.... But you will need a new upper hose...

That Datsun thermostat housing looks identical to a MOPAR Aluminum V6 housing I scrounged last year. The angle of the outlet is the same. The MOPAR also has what appears to be a thermal sensor in the bell section above the thermostat, use it or pull it and pop in a bolt. The MOPAR also had the identical mount hole size and spacing for my RL411, so will probably fit your 620. Easy and cheap way to find out, buy a MOPAR V6 thermostat gasket. I probably still have the part number in my parts box. Good luck!

The hose angle was not right for my 411, so I used a KIA Sephia housing, virtually identical to the Nissan RL411 part, just ream the metric bolt hole to fit the SAE bolts.