FS5W71C, I think....

matwood

I've got this transmission that I am wanting to use for my L20B build but the tail piece is kinda bent up and I'm wondering if it's salvageable.

I think it is a FS5W71C but cannot seem to source an overhaul kit for it, only it's brother the FS5W71B.

Please advise as to whether or not it is salvageable and whether or not it is indeed a FS5W71C.

Where to get parts would also be helpful! :)

DSCN0294.jpg

DSCN0293.jpg

DSCN0292.jpg

DSCN0291.jpg

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The bent part is just a dust cover. Hammer into shape.....

DSCN0293.jpg

...so the outer part of the drive shaft slips between it and the tranny case.... or is it over top?

Copyof00270010.jpg

32135 28600 is the part number from Nissan for the dust cover, about $8. Hammer the old one out and drive the new in.

yeah, for a 510. I have a buddy that shortens drivelines for people on the regular but I don't have a driveline for him to shorten yet.. not ANY 510s here in new mexico hardly...

what all should i relace in this tranny in order to get it functioning its best... will just bearings and seals do?

Up to you depending on skill level or wallet. Definitely change the obvious rear seal. Install empty and fill with about 2 quarts of GL-4 (NOT GL-5!!!) and change evert 30,000 miles. Never tow, climb steep hills or pass in over drive it will last forever.

My skill level is better than average, I would say. And my wallet isn't really a limiting factor as well, just gotta save a bit if it's toooo much.

Would a full blown overhaul give me "my money and time's worth"? Or would it just be something that I should do once it does fail (if ever)?

Maybe just the Input/output shaft bearings? I have time, as I'm still saving for wheels and rear coilovers.

The only thing that concerns me, really, is the fact that I don't know the history on this tranny at all...

wow!!! thats right on top of the list of parts or things not to sandblast!!!! dude i would honestly take every single peice of that thing apart and clean it!!! i would be scared to run any of the bearings anymore, yeah sand blasting is easy but dang dude 3 hours with a toothbrush or 5 minutes of sand and 10 hours of rebuild?

so it's probably gonna need a rebuild? lol....

like i said, I am not opposed to rebuilding this thing anywway. Everythinng else power train related is getting a full rebuild down to Stainless hardware....

I have just never messed with a transmission until now... hence me asking questions.

BTW, toothbrush didnt come close to cleaning the shit....

anyway....

Matwood, as long as any opening on the transmission was taped off with duct tape before blasting the you should have no problems. That oil pan is definitely a truck oil pan. Contact Fun5ten on the DesertDatsuns Forum (AZ Datsun forum) he probably has one he would sell you cheap. Tell him I referred you.

http://desertdatsuns.freeforums.org/index.php