Hectors 710 wagon...

hillbillyhector

...don't know quite how I got off on a tangent with the 710 wagons...but I like them (in a kinda "so ugly it's beautiful" way)

and after owning a bunch of 510 sedans, wagons, 1200s, 620s and a mess of other vintage Jap-rods....I figured what the heck.

wasn't expecting to do any kind of "build thread" cause I wasn't really planning on "building" it. just some minor body work, coilovers, wheels, done.

Haven't driven the car since the day I bought it (typical story with me)...and after a brief feeling of buyers remorse & self-inflicted emotional abuse, my girlfriend decided that it was 'cute' (thank god for orange paint!) and I decided that I just might put it together for her, keeping the auto trans.

anyways, here is the progression of things, and don't fear this one WILL get done (there's a woman involved) by next summer show-season.

pics sent from Rustrocket:

P1000404.jpg

P1000407.jpg

P1000400.jpg

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

towed home:

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk228/hillbillyhector/Hectors/DSC_0012.jpg

the body damage was a bummer...but the interior? immaculate!

...after my first assessment, the decision was made to just bodywork the damaged panels, and repaint ONLY what was needed. the original factory paint was acceptable, and I really wasn't planning a "show" approach (removing every piece of gasket & trim to replace/restore)...luckily the original color isn't a metallic, and our paint guy Matt is a genius.

DSC_0041-1.jpg

DSC_0047.jpg

we won't get into why I hate myself sooo thoroughly, but for some reason I like to do things the hard way.

after painting the damaged side, and it coming out beautiful...it made the previously repaired-and-reshot side look like dog poop.

(poor color match & shoddy bodywork)...so we finish...and start again.

DSC_0166.jpg

(G-Reg gettin style points for the smoke hangin)

sorry Mike, not making molds. cost prohibitive. This is a one-off for sure. I could make molds, but it would probably require a group-buy kinda thing, and even then it would be hard to get the cost below 500$ per piece (ready for paint with brackets)....I'm just not set up for production work.

wow there's a few people on here hu? waddaya guys think of the part?

Damn yeah! Maybe I could try it. Damn this is great! I found some bumpers from a early hardtop? The chrome smiley ones for my sedan but the tweaker wants 250 for the whole, sitting in a field for 10 years, car. Was thinking of wood but way harder to work with.

This would work on any 'park bench' equipped Datsun. I mean anything is better that them. Even nothing.

Need to know what that stiff foamy stuff is.

Do you just cut to shape and rasp it down and sand it?

Couldn't you also run some steel between the brackets for some BUMP protection? a sort of hidden bumper under the glass one?

Damn yeah! Maybe I could try it. Damn this is great! I found some bumpers from a early hardtop? The chrome smiley ones for my sedan but the tweaker wants 250 for the whole, sitting in a field for 10 years, car. Was thinking of wood but way harder to work with.

This would work on any 'park bench' equipped Datsun. I mean anything is better that them. Even nothing.

Need to know what that stiff foamy stuff is.

Do you just cut to shape and rasp it down and sand it?

Couldn't you also run some steel between the brackets for some BUMP protection? a sort of hidden bumper under the glass one?

yea, there's a piece of steel tube sandwiched in the (two part expanding, from 'Fiberglast') foam against the base, tying the two nutserted mounting plates together, I epoxyed the plates in place, then realized that additional support made sense, to minimize shrinkage flex during glass layup.