cant get gear oil filler botl off

1lo620

So I bought a used L18 with a 5 spd hooked up to it. The Kid pulled the whole unit out he is swapping an SR into it. So it was a runner so I wasnt concerned with putting it right in. Well I got it into my truck and hooked everything up, went to fill the gear oil and for the life of me I cant get the bloody bolt off. I have heaved, gruntted and swore alot but nothing. I have sprayed lube on it etc....Now I think it is a Z tranny I am not sure, but the filler bolt is on the opposite side of the 2 5spds I have in my other trucks. So the question I have does anyone have any suggestions to possilby get this bolt to break loose. I hate to have to switch the tranny out.....thx

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

it should be on the passenger side and have a square head. you can always use a pipe wrech and a big cheater bar but the only problem with thnat is if it is really really stuck aluminum will come out in the threads of the plug, your going to have to either be really careful with the cheater bar and hope for the best or try and spray penetrating lube on it for a few days and try and loosen it up. normall i would loosen all plugs or anything i needed loose before installing the transmission so it isnt so difficult under the truck. good luck.

Steel and aluminum tend to lock together even when lightly torqued together. Some metallurgical law about dissimilar metals. Drain and heat the aluminum around the plug. Expect some smoke. Have a wrench with a length of pipe over the handle for extra leverage ready to go on it. Get it HOT. Aluminum expands 12 millionths of an inch per degree warmed up. Steel is half that. Warming it to 400 degrees will expand it almost 5 thou. inch. Even if the steel plug gets the same heat it will be half that so still 2-3 thou different. It's a pipe thread so it will be interference fit anyway, but this could make the difference.

I had this problem, what a pain in the ass it was. IIRC size 17 wrench fits on there, then get out the 5lb sledge and tap it... (my problem is, i only had a stubby 17mm)

Ended up using vice grips to get it with a hammer, then i replaced it with a plug out of another transmission i had easier access to.

I had this problem, what a pain in the ass it was. IIRC size 17 wrench fits on there, then get out the 5lb sledge and tap it... (my problem is, i only had a stubby 17mm)

Ended up using vice grips to get it with a hammer, then i replaced it with a plug out of another transmission i had easier access to.

I think the diff plugs are the same thread if looking for a replacement.The diffs are usually a square hole that the 1/2" ratchet end fits, transmissions have these or a protruding square shape that is only good enough for an adjustable or a pipe wrench.

thanks for al the advice guys, someone also has mentioned the heating it aspect....So it is all drained and I will give it a try to see what happens....and i will let you know. It is also a my friends shop and he has air tools so I might give them a try also...Let ya all know..thx

• 2 weeks later...

I read a Ratsun post a year back or so that recommended taking your car to an oil change place and have them replace your gear oil. They have the necessary equipment to remove stubborn bolts and let them have a go at it and they will change your gear oil.