Crank pulley bolt

Brian D

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What is the easiest way to pull the crank pulley bolt on a j 13. the pulley spins when it try to loosen the bolt.

Do you have an impact gun ? ( electric or air will do ! Will need the black colored impact sockets from harbor freight , wear eye protection ! ) this should zip right off with one and Electric or Air impact 1/2" guns are cheap at Harbor Freight tools. More likely than not , especially with the electric impact gun you will most likley need to remove the radiator , and possibly grill ?( to prevent damage and gain work room through the front ) I don't know though you will have to judge this as I have never worked on your model/year of datsun.

You can also remove the starter , stick a pry bar in to jam the ring gear teeth on the flywheel , and then attempt to loosen with a breaker bar or a 1/2" drive ratchet with an appropriate fitting pipe ( to slip over the ratchet handle for extension ) I believe you can also buy a tool to hold the ring gear in place ? ( looks like a reverserd chunk of flywheel gear ? )

There is another method I can't remember , quick way but it has been years since I have done it :lol:

Just make sure to keep your face/hands/body out of the way in direction of pull when attempting the breaker bar

yeah i have a impact and breaker bar. I will try pulling the started and going that direction. I just didn't know if there was a way on a datsun that saved time. I know you guys are the datsun masters so i figured I would ask here before I went to plans b and c. Once again thank you.

Put ratchet or Johnson bar and applicable socket on pulley bolt and jam against frame or something immovable. Use piece of pipe to extend length. Put in neutral and bump the starter. Motor turns clockwise so jam ratchet to the pass side. Stay out of the way!

if I can I cheat when I pull crank pullies. I leave all of the belts snugged up and in place, then use a 3/4" impact gun to zip it out. At times I have needed to use vice grips or other methods, but normally a powerful impact gun and the slight tension of a belt hooked to the alternator and waterpump, ect. does the trick.