how to swap a J13 to L16 how do the mounts work??

ka62078

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest DatsuNoob

I did this for Zuum510 back when he had a 521. we had the lower mounting sections that were welded to the 620 frame. Just snubbed off the J13 ones and welded the Lseries ones in. I measured from the center of the mount to the firewall and found a point of reference on the motor so it would not hit the firewall. Set up the Lseries frame mounts, cross-measured for square and welded them shitz in. It went pretty quick.

521 with J13 and 521 with L16 have very different frame and mounts. It's not as simple as just swapping the mounts.

man i had no idea these were so different!

Ignacio- hopefully we can either figure out a way to get that motor in, OR you could probably sell that L16 for more that you bought it for, and get a J motor again....? maybe someone wants to trade...?

• 4 months later...

ok bumping this back up because I have a ?

If you have a early 521 that came with a J series....

And you relocate motor mounts, tranny mounts, and get a custom driveline...

will the L series even fit? Or will it be hitting brake cylinder and other stuff?

ok bumping this back up because I have a ?

If you have a early 521 that came with a J series....

And you relocate motor mounts, tranny mounts, and get a custom driveline...

will the L series even fit? Or will it be hitting brake cylinder and other stuff?

IF you use a PL521 or PL510 transmission you won't need a custom driveline or tranny mounts. If you use any 5-speed or a longtail 4-speed then you'll need a custom mount, and a custom driveline is only needed for a longtail trans. The original, 1-piece driveshaft works fine with short-tail transmissions as the original one on the J13 is the same length (it is in fact the same trans as the PL521 except for the front case and lacks the rear flange).

The brake master is in the same place on a L521 as a PL521. No worries. It's the use of SUs that cause issues clearing the steering tube. What does need to be changed is the core support- the J engine is shorter, so the L521 core support has the radiator further into the bay.

• 2 weeks later...

hopefully ill have mine swapped by the time you come by, and i can show you exactly what was done, but its just like datsunoob said. i was lucky and found a scavenged 521/L16 truck at a yard, and cut out the factory hard mounts. they will locate at the same point in my truck snugged right up against the engine crossmember.

If you can find a 521 L16 frame to scavange the engine mounts off of it should be fairly strait forward, take detailed photos :lol: :lol: of where they are on that frame and put them exactly in the same spot on your frame. The core support for the radiator is easy, if you look behind the existing J13 radiator sheetmetal mounts you will see the future L16 radiator mounting holes, so all you do is cut the J13 sheet metal off the core support and the L block radiator will mount, you will have to use a bolt and nut, as the nut for the L rad. was not put in yet. wayno