510 with 14" TE37V wheels

nnssr180sx

I'm placing an order with Spiritsracing for 14x7 and 14x8 wheels. I really like the classic and aggressive look. My options are 14x7 +18/14X7 +5 for the front. And I'm pushing for something more aggressive in the rear but avoid flares and my options are 14x8 +25/14x8 +0. I going to use Troy Ermish's coilover setup, so suspension shouldn't be problem. Has anyone stuffed 8in in the rears with out flares and major body modification? Will 14x7 +5 fit the fronts? If it comes down to it, I may have to go 7in all around? Please help. Thanks

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Lots of factors:

Do you have 280zx front suspension?.... ... slotted rear crossmember?...... ... How low do you want to go?........ what size tires do you want?

Do you want to cut and weld mini-tubs?......... .. what motor are you planning on runnning?......... Do you have front camber plates?

Lots of factors:

Do you have 280zx front suspension?.... ... slotted rear crossmember?...... ... How low do you want to go?........ what size tires do you want?

Do you want to cut and weld mini-tubs?......... .. what motor are you planning on runnning?......... Do you have front camber plates?

I dont have 280zx front suspension. I'm going to send my stock strut housing to Troy and purchase his complete coilover setup. I dont have slotted rear crossmember. I'm looking to lower the car 2-3in? (fenders well to mid tire wall). I'm not sure on the tire size. I'm not sure how to cut and weld mini-tubs. I have L18 in it now; may drop my sr20det in future. I am getting front camber from Troy also. Thanks

14x7 +18/14X7 +5 for the front................................in the rear my options are 14x8 +25/14x8 +0

With stock 510 struts you will want the 14x7 +18 for the front........ . that should fit...

The rear is a tough call......... ... a 14x8 +15mm would probably be perfect.......... some people have stuffed 15x8 +0mm wheels into rolled fenders,,, but you'd need small tires, and it still might not fit..... ... .. 14x8 +25mm would be better if you ever want adjustable rear suspension,,, with adjustable rear camber

Before you go out and spend $1700 on wheels:........ think long term:... .. if you ever want a bigger motor, a 280zx strut might be a good idea before you get coilovers on stock 510 struts,,,,,,,, bigger brakes for stock 510 struts are NOT cheap.

280zx struts with camber plates will probably fit a 14x7 +5mm wheel......... because 280zx struts narrow the front width by 3/4" on each side

Here is the article:

http://www.motormavens.com/2010/04/carspotting-steve-keely-datsun-510/

He is running 14x7 +0 on all 4 corners..... ... with 280zx front struts,,,,,,,,, the front would be 3/4" wider on each side with stock 510 struts... (and who knows how much front camber he's running)

Steve_Keeley_Datsun_510_TE37_Yoshi_Shindo_DSC_0054.jpg

You can see how much rear camber he needs to tuck those 14x7 +0 rear wheels......... so a 14x8 +0 is going to need alot of fender work

Maybe just stick to 510 struts with 14x7 +18mm in the front.............. and 14x8 +25mm in the rear.... (then you don't need goofy rear camber)

He's running 185/55/14 tires BTW

Here is the article:

http://www.motormavens.com/2010/04/carspotting-steve-keely-datsun-510/

He is running 14x7 +0 on all 4 corners..... ... with 280zx front struts,,,,,,,,, the front would be 3/4" wider on each side with stock 510 struts... (and who knows how much front camber he's running)

You can see how much rear camber he needs to tuck those 14x7 +0 rear wheels......... so a 14x8 +0 is going to need alot of fender work

Maybe just stick to 510 struts with 14x7 +18mm in the front.............. and 14x8 +25mm in the rear.... (then you don't need goofy rear camber)

Awesome info.. I really appreciate it. I'm looking to run wilwood brake setup so I got rid of my 280zx struts/brake parts.

I just found out from volk that 14x8 +25mm only comes in 4x100 and 14x8 +0 is going to need flares for sure. 14x7+18mm will fit all corners but will not look as aggressive as 14x7 +5. Hmmm

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

My bronze TE37v's finally arrived yesterday! 14x7 +5 for front and 14x8 0 in the rears. The weather has been shitty around here but I will try a test fit with some pics.

Did you ever fit those wheels? Im looking at a set of volk mesh that are similar .. 14x8 0 in the rear and 14x7 0 up front but am trying to do a bit more research before I pick them up to see how much work is involved in making them fit.. whats the widest rubber you think you can run on a 14x8 on a 510?

thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

Here is the article:

http://www.motormave...ely-datsun-510/

thats a nice car but with the camber all out of wack it ruins everything to me cars are not supposed to look like that unless something is broke or about to break i guess nowadays magazines look at how far from stock the ride is instead of how it accualy looks