Built a little welder cart

without any further adieu:

2010-09-06%2019.50.33.jpg

2010-09-06%2019.51.11.jpg

20' 3/4" EMT tubing(2 sticks): $7

casters: $18 NICE ONES with brakes

welding costs: ~$5 and need a bottle refill, bottle was 3/4 used up already.

$30 for a cart beats a store bought cart at $50 any day.

If anybody needs a custom roof rack and is here in Georgia, I'm about to start making them.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice rack laugh.gif

Can you do roll cages?

I'm taking fabrication class next quarter which will involve building roll cages specifically for race cars... one will be built for my B210 rally/ offroad monster.

At this point I am limiting myself to roof racks and welder carts. LOL

I'm taking fabrication class next quarter which will involve building roll cages specifically for race cars... one will be built for my B210 rally/ offroad monster.

At this point I am limiting myself to roof racks and welder carts. LOL

In the future, if you need a car to practice cages in, I'll happily volunteer my 210 tongue.gif

be careful dude, emt is galvanized, and galvanized vapors=death bro!!! wear a proper respirator, and i know you will come back with something like yeah it was well ventilated where i was but dude that shit is cumulative

Zinc Fumes -- A Safety Hazard?

When zinc vapor mixes with the oxygen in the air, it reacts instantly to become zinc oxide. This is the same white powder

that you see on some noses at the beach and the slopes. Zinc oxide is non-toxic and non carcinogenic. Extensive research1

into the effects of zinc oxide fumes has been done, and although breathing those fumes will cause welders to think that they

have the flu in a bad way, there are no long-term health effects. Zinc oxide that is inhaled is simply absorbed and eliminated

by the body without complications or chronic effects. Current research2 on zinc oxide fumes is concentrated in establishing

the mechanism by which zinc oxide causes "metal fume fever," how its effects are self-limiting and why zinc oxide fume

effects ameliorate after the first day of exposure even though the welder may continue to be exposed to zinc during subsequent

days ("Monday-morning fever"). Other research3 is being done using zinc oxide fumes together with various drugs which

results in a synergetic effect for treatment of cancer and AIDS. Another area of research is use of zinc compounds as the active

ingredients in throat lozengers that are recognized as significantly effective in reducing the duration and intensity of the

common cold.

http://www.sperkoengineering.com/html/articles/WeldingGalvanized.pdf

Not to say you should believe everything you read on the internet, but even OSHA doesn't say anything more on the effects besides "metal fume fever". I certainly know the immediate effects are real, but there's no specific evidence of long term damage...

Typical “metal fume fever” begins about 4 hours after exposure, and full recovery occurs within 48 hours. The symptoms include fever, chills, thirst, headache and nausea. All of these symptoms, pain and suffering, as well as lost work (and play) time, can be avoided entirely by simply not inhaling the zinc oxide fumes.

ok maybe not death but i sure wouldnt want any of the above :blink: