Painted the 520

datsunz

Well, in one of those, "While I'm at" modes. I rattle canned the 520 in Rustoleum sail blue, used rust converter where needed first. It had 33% more paint than the other blues biggrin.gif I took the grill and wipers and hold down pins to the shop and powdercoated them in wrinkle black to hide all the peeling chrome imperfections. Hopefully it will hold out a couple NH winters until she gets redone properly. There is still one small section to do in the bed that you can see in the photo's, I will hit that this weekend. Well without further ado, here she be.... Some New Hampshire redneck painting... smile.gif

front.jpg

front23.jpg

rside.jpg

rside2.jpg

back.jpg

lside.jpg

lside2.jpg

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Damm...

That looks really good for a rattle can job... ... .. . . I like the blue-tinted tailights too...... :P

lol, my taillights have some overspray on them aswell as do both my friends taillights, and even three I picked up for spares have overspray. I dont think dastun owners know how to use masking tape... hehe :P

Actually, I'm lazier than you think. I didn't tape the windows and shit. I used a block of cardboard. (I did tape off the front end). Like I said, it was a "while I'm at it" thing. I started to fix a surface rust area in one spot and 24 hours later it was rattle canned (including sanding and primer), sorry I have a little ADD. Finished the bed yesterday. Yes, it's a hack job. Next spring I will blast it all off and powdercoat the whole truck and POR 15 the frame. It is just to get me by with NH weather for now. Total bill was $55. I also stated the lenses are spiderweb cracked, I will get new ones from Thailand. Next week I will remove both the front bumper and rear adjustable bumper and powdercoat them in wrinkle black to match the grill and I will also do the lights lens covers. It got me ready for my next project I bought today, which is....

A 240Z made in '69 (same as me 8) serial number 400. yee fricken ha !!!!

Both lenses are physically cracked from the sun and faded. It's like a star crack(many) in each one. I am in no hurry. I have 3 other inspected vehicles. When done, this will look nice, right now it is a 10 footer, next year it will be, get your nose off my truck!!! I'm still learning like everyone else. I love to play with Datsun's and I don't know why. ???

Actually, I'm lazier than you think. I didn't tape the windows and shit. I used a block of cardboard. (I did tape off the front end). Like I said, it was a "while I'm at it" thing. I started to fix a surface rust area in one spot and 24 hours later it was rattle canned (including sanding and primer), sorry I have a little ADD. Finished the bed yesterday. Yes, it's a hack job. Next spring I will blast it all off and powdercoat the whole truck and POR 15 the frame. It is just to get me by with NH weather for now. Total bill was $55. I also stated the lenses are spiderweb cracked, I will get new ones from Thailand. Next week I will remove both the front bumper and rear adjustable bumper and powdercoat them in wrinkle black to match the grill and I will also do the lights lens covers. It got me ready for my next project I bought today, which is....

A 240Z made in '69 (same as me 8) serial number 400. yee fricken ha !!!!

powdercoat wont stick to bondo, so i hope you're phenomenal with a hammer and dolly

I am phenomenal with a dolly yes, oh that kind, we'll see. Now that I have the new 240z. I won't probably get to the truck as soon as planned. When I redo the suspension and drivetrain of the 240, I will powder coat it all a satin black or gloss black. You are correct about the bondo, I can use other metallic fillers that it will stick to. The bondo on the truck now was to recontour dents, not fix rust, so I should be able to blast it down, hammer a bit and use a metal filler, we'll see, I would like to drive it around for a while first. The Z body won't fit in my oven. 8( But every other body piece does.

dude you got it backwards powder coat the frame and por 15 the truck... you have to remove everythings dash wiring... anything non metallic to powd3ercoat and to do it right you best remove all the sheetmetal from the frame other wise all your bushings and boots etc....ps you will have to be pheniminal with a hammer and dolly after you take a balster to your sheetmetal... trust me coming from a giuy who has powder coated several shells, frames etc...and yes phixius my tail ights have overspray on them too...