Bacardi's 521

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

well i got alot done yesterday.

i found out that my vaccum advance was not working. the diaphram was blown. AND the distributer advance was frozen up. so all that was replaced and its working REALLY well now.

I also finally got some feeler gauges and did my lash. no wonder i had a hard time getting to 5k rpm's. the lash was WAY too tight. so now that is all fixed and its running a hell of alot better.

My transmission mount was vibrating so much it ended up loosing some bolts, and because of that the tail of the tranny was hanging and putting un-needed pressure on my input shaft of my driveshaft. so it was leaking transmission fluid. so i went and put new bolts in with thread locker and filled the transmission up. right now i only have a solid mount for my tranny. i have the bushings to put in there but we were not able to get that far yesterday.

Found out i have a slow leak in my back driverside tire. oh well. i will get that fixed soon.

I got my windshield surround!!! now i can put it in and not leak water everywhere when it rains, meaning i can really start on my interior soon!!

Now for the fun part. I went to the junkyard yesterday in hopes to getting everything i need to build my frankenstein motor. this is what i ended up with

Z22S block and rods

Z24 Crank and pistons

extra motormounts

yes i could of went the easy way and just thrown in a Z24 motor but it will not be as cool and fun as this. I plan on throwing my peanut head on this block with my 32/36 dgv carb and hopefully finally getting a exhaust header and a new full exhaust done. this should be a very good runner. I need something that spins up fast and has lots of good torque. plus i just wanted to play around with some combinations to see how they work together. Really what i got this truck for is to be my desert transportation. I want to beable to tow quads and gear out to the desert and have a good time. it will tow now with no issues. but its not going to be as much fun.

I am still looking for my Z32 front brake calipers. i see them online for about 300 (for the ones i want) but i would much rather find them in a junkyard.

Anyways the big plan for today is tuning my 32/36 carb and watching the charger game. my carb is WAY off. the only time i really have power is when the secondaries kick in. other than that its a slug. i didn't have time yesterday since i pulled two motors from the yard.

• 5 weeks later...

nothing too new.

changed idea's on motors. i have a CA18DE with ITB's in the works. i found a company that will port that head for the CA for 250. its just a gasket, and mild porting. nothing crazy. I have suzuki 1000 gsxr throttle bodies all cleaned up and ready. i have the intake pulled off and marked where i need to fabricate to have the itb's bolt up. now i realised today thou when i got that CA18DE that i was missing two injectors. so i am going to have to go back to the junkyard and pocket 2 of them. i am going to be running megasquirt 2 for my fuel management. I plan on running two banks of injectors. the stock ones on one bank and the injectors that came with the ITB's as the second bank. if i need more fuel then i just start adding from the second bank. i am hoping for 180hp, with all the smog stuff off, no power steering, no AC, and with itb's more fuel, exhaust, port work on the head, and a standalone might just get me there. stock hp on the CA18DE was 131, hopefully with all that i can get there. 200hp would be sick. but i doubt it without some serious mods.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

yeah a new house!!! my datsun has been put to the side so i could work on my house and get moved in. i just brought the datsun over to the house 2 days ago and got the urge to work on her again. i have to build a few work benches first and clean out the garage (yeah i know, new house and stuffed garage haha) its a plain garage with no storage so i need to build storage so i can put christmas/junk/decoration/non used stuff away, then i can play. haha. well I am waiting on some $$ so i can order ARP main Studs so i can send my block into the machinst. crossing my fingers in hope that the block is good. if it is then its going to be go time!!

oh its still running with the l series. but i can not find the damn electrical short. that datsun may as well be electric with as much as i charge that battery just to get it from point a to b

i love driving my datsun. i just hate how unreliable it is right now. i will and have been driving my datsun at least once a week. and i am not going to take that l series out until the CA is completely ready. i don't want my datsun to be down for more than a weekend where it can't move under its own power. i hated having that 510 unable to drive

and damn hainz you have a good memory. by the way you will be happy to know i don't own that SRT anymore. it was either get rid of the datsun or the SRT, cause having two projects wasn't working. so the SRT went and the datsun stayed. my family was upset it wasnt the other way around. they just don't understand.. and never will

Well do the TEST LIGHT test and start pulling the fuse till the short stops.

Then you know the circut.

It will take less than 10mins to know which circut is shorting the battery out.

onece you know the circut that bad hook athe battery back up again then diconnect everything on that CIRCUT one at a time till the short goes out.

This might include the alternator and Voltage regulator

Ezer to find the short than installing a new harness.

well aparently you have not seen my harness. haha. no its bad. like half the harness is missing under the dash. i have to create lines from the fuse block for alot of stuff under my dash. none of my switches are hooked up, i have to drive during the day regardless cause i don't have head light wiring. its a mess and will be easier to start over with what i know than try to find out what goes to what. and if i am goign to have to rewire the old stuff, why not go with the new stuff? Just trying to simplify my life

well some purchases were made today

arp main bolts, as soon as i get it in then i can send my block in the the machine shop

also some braking components were bought. not all but some. i have the fineline front brackets already. i purchased the driver side caliper (97 hardbody) and two passport rotors. i would of bought the passenger side but they were having a deal on driver sides.

one more driver side at rock auto for 26$ for fully loaded and no core charge!!! too bad the passengers were 87$ fully loaded including core charge. its ok i am patient.

I got some parts in the mail today

ARP MAIN STUDS/WASHERS/NUTS

~this means i can take my motor into the machine shop!!

Passport rotors came in, holy crap those things are large

one 1997 hardbody loaded brake caliper for 30$ from rockauto.com oh yeah!! i love cheap parts. next payday should be the other caliper.

still on a quest for the right master cylinder.

Guest jaimesix

What ever happened to the wire loom installation? That is a neat way to give that cool Datsun new life and performance.

Jaime._______________________________________________________

What ever happened to the wire loom installation? That is a neat way to give that cool Datsun new life and performance.

Jaime._______________________________________________________

i am trying to find a good time to do it. when i do it i want to get rid of the external regulator and go to an internal regulated alternator. that and finding connectors that i want to use are my only issues right now. i know that should not keep me but it is. connectors are expensive. i will be getting to it this next month for sure. so i guess a gm 1 wire alternator is coming too.

god wiring is expensive!!! well i am doing it completely correct as well as I can but daym!!

Wiring kit

250$

weatherpack connectors

120$

Grounding system

120$

And i still have not purchased my battery cables yet. those are looking to be around 100$ for a bed mounted battery

oh and i still have to buy 3 grounding blocks, i have not found what i need yet, i may just make it on my own. anyways....

• 4 weeks later...

another slow update

still slowly working on the wiring, put LED lights in my taillights. wired up most of the headlights and taillights/turn indicators. next i am moving into the dash.

but the BIG update is i purchased the rest of my rotating assembly to complete my bottom end.

purchased today:

Complete Gasket Set

Copper/MLS Head Gasket

JE Pistons (84mm 8.2 compression ratio)

Plasma Moly Rings

Performance Wrist Pins

TOGA HP Main Bearings

TOGA HP Rod Bearings

Freeze Plugs

already have:

Pauter Rods

in the machine shop:

block and crank

10/10

knife edging crank

84mm bore/hone

oh yeah!! can't wait

• 1 month later...

well i made some more progress, slow as it may be since i still have a broke back. but i cleaned up my intake pieces, ordered a clutch, lightweight flywheel and fuel rail for $340 shipped haha. not to bad!! i love firesales!

I also ordered a new oil pump so i should have everything i need to give to the machinist. he already has my block pretty much ready. he just needs my parts that i just ordered to do a complete balance.

damn that reminds me i need ARP bolts for my flywheel.

oh yeah, some bad news, i need a new head. when i went to have it surfaced I found a crack from the surface of the head thru to the #4 exhaust port. unweldable without some serious modification. so i am off to find another head. glad i found it now before i put money into it.