Bacardi's 521

When you factor in the time it will take (back pain too :rolleyes:) to swap the head gasket if it does blow...it is well worth the 200 bones!

If you bring the compression up, the odds of popping the HG go up too.:D

Sounds like a ton of work man...keep it up:)

It will be well worth it.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was going to get my block o-ringed but i just got off the phone with my machinist and he said its going to be 200$. that is alot of money, any thoughts on whether i should do it or not. my motor has a history of blowing head gaskets and this would ensure no issues? grrrr.

If your using a Copper gasket then get it o-ringed but if you have a MLS gasked they recommend against the O-rings.

the head gasket i have is a multi layer metal gasket that measures 1.2mm thick. it is actually made by wiseco. my machinist is recommending a composite gasket and o-rings. i am still not sure. most CA18det guys just get the cometic metal head gasket like i have and ARP head studs ( i have those too) and call it a day.

Edited by BACARDI_DWB

yeah i am spending about 1000$ on the oil system alone for the "do it once do it right" idea. i am looking to boost about 25psi max hopefully. but so far everthing else on race gas should support 30psi.

go big or go home o-ring it is, plus its not that bad since my machinist is not charging that much for the rest of the machine work. really good guy

yeah i just finished reading that.

i think i am only left with one option: mls head gasket and no o-ring. See in order to use the o-ring you need to have a copper head gasket, which is not made for the CA18.

MLS head gasket should work fine without an o-ring if i make sure the head to block is perfectly true and i have ARP headstuds torqued right.

can you use felpro headgaskets and o-rings? i am under the impression that you can only use copper head gaskets when you o-ring the block. and i can't find any for the CA18det

• 2 weeks later...

research prevails, and so will reliable high horsepower. I talked to a few aussies that are running ca18det's with lots of power and o-rings. they are using standard nissan oem gaskets and making more than enough horsepower.

so I ordered the gasket and told the machine shop to get ready for some o-rings. i also ordered a 280z master cylinder and the my other caliper for the front.

I really hate having such slow progress on my truck but funding the fun stuff is hard. oh well i guess that is why its a project.