710 front suspension options

280zx2by2

Ok I don't need anything crazy or super low, I just want this car on the road.

The spring perch on one of my assemblies has been destroyed by an po's airbag install, and the brake rotors are eaten up, shocks dead on both sides.

I have in my local junk yard 3 280zx's still with front assemblies intact and im sure I can find a pair with good shocks and springs and brakes.

Ok I know I would have to get some 14"+ wheels but I have sourced some 14" slotted mags for cheap so thats ok.

But my main question is with installation, can I just throw the 280zx assemblies in? And will the 710 brake lines tread into the ZX calipers and fit right, or will they need to be reshaped and need new flare nuts?

I just don't have immediate access to a welder and have seen where most of you are mixing and matching perches and tubes.

Thanks for any info you can provide.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A good question. I've heard the 610/710 have the larger spindle like the 280zx and very unlike the old 510s. I think that if the Z car struts fit the 710 without mods we would have heard something by now.

I do have a set of Maxima struts, and the Maxima is really just a 280zx with a different body more or less. I'm hoping to pick up a '76 goon in a few weeks and plan to find out. They are from a station wagon so the springs will be stiffer and the car will likely sit too high. I guess I could swap the 710 springs in.

710projectbegin029Large-2.jpg

A good question. I've heard the 610/710 have the larger spindle like the 280zx and very unlike the old 510s. I think that if the Z car struts fit the 710 without mods we would have heard something by now.

I do have a set of Maxima struts, and the Maxima is really just a 280zx with a different body more or less. I'm hoping to pick up a '76 goon in a few weeks and plan to find out. They are from a station wagon so the springs will be stiffer and the car will likely sit too high. I guess I could swap the 710 springs in.

710projectbegin029Large-2.jpg

I have just been thinking and looking... It just seems like it would work and give a good inch and a half drop, maybe an inch more if I cut a ring off. Ill take some measurements tomorrow when I have some light (it helps I have a 280zx haha)If I wasn't for the record of my 280zx bitch slapping me after I work on it I would take out the assemblie and see but I have a phobia of working on my ZX when I don't have to and its my DD.

I am eventually going to swap 280zx struts into my 710 goon.....

The problems I see:

The springs/perches are too big to fit in the strut tower of a 710......... that's why all 510 guys cut off the spring perch,,, and either weld on a coilover perch,,

or modify/weld the 280zx perch to fit stock diameter springs (I think Pac Coast Datsun is the only one to try this)

Another problem: 280zx struts are shorter and most people use bump steer spacers to correct the geometry........ and 710s are known to have camber problems,,, so I'm not shure a 280zx top-hat will provide a good alignment..... so you might even need camber plates

3rd problem: I used my stock brake master/booster with 4 piston Willwoods....... and I could feel a lack of "juice" to the calipers.......... Most 510 guys with 280zx brakes upgrade the master cylinder. . . . . you should probably do the same

I've heard some people have interference with the 280zx calipers hitting the steering arms......... so some people run the Left strut on the right side and vise versa,,, because then the calipers are in the front

Are you discouraged yet?

You can see how much bigger the 280zx springs are in this pic:............. and the struts are ~1" shorter than 710 struts

From left to right: 12.1" rotors on shortened 510 struts......stock 510 rotor........stock 710 strut. . . . . . .stock 280zx strut

510710.JPG

71051015.JPG

Are you discouraged yet?

I was discouraged here. haha

The problems I see:

The springs/perches are too big to fit in the strut tower of a 710......... that's why all 510 guys cut off the spring perch,,, and either weld on a coilover perch,,, or modify/weld another spring perch to fit with stock diameter springs...

But thanks for the info and pics, guess ill still have to go with the ZX assemblies as thats what I have available...

SHIT JUST GOT REAL... hard to fucking fix.

Here is a link to his build thread......... about half way down this page:

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/3731-i-scored-a-510-wagon/page__st__360

That would definatley be the most affordable option............... Bump steer spacers would still be a good idea

This sounds like what I may do. Ill PM him and see what he can tell me.

1264381134.jpg

Than you soo much INDYNICKDIME!

Do you think the 510 strut assembly tunnel is smaller than that of the 710?

(for my memory and people who may search this)(also $50? FUFUFUUFUFU!)

http://datsun510.com/shop1/product_info.php?products_id=1

• 9 months later...

Lol/\/\ :lol: :angry: :lol: I did notice lol

Dont know if you would be interested but iv got these badboys as far as I can tell there 710, some one brought my attention to the round mounting face and I looked into it, matches 710 I think you could probly tell better than I can.

2011-06-12101159.jpg

2011-06-12101046.jpg ;)