Transmission ID help?

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There was an optional 5 spd. FS5W63A dogleg for the B-210 from April '76 on but this isn't it. The FS5W63A dogleg did not have a reverse light switch in the main body. All switches were in the tailstock. This leaves the F4W60 and F4W60L, both 4 speeds and the FS5W60A and the FS5W60L 5 speeds. They both have a reverse light switch in the main body.

The trouble is that the 4 and 5 speeds seem to use the same case and all look the same from the outside. If you can find out if there are 5 gears, then it's a pre '80 FS5W60L NOT FS5W60A 5 speed. The horizontal oil drain plug at the front bottom of the tailstock (picture below is upside dawn) makes it an L, the A has a vertical oil drain plug.

IMAG0126.jpg

Sorry I can't get this resolved any better. Try to shift through the gears and turn the input shaft. Check that it is a dogleg with rev. above 1st and see if there is a fifth gear. Do you have a history on this tranny? Can you post some better pictures?

Correction, the B210 used FS5W63A -- the only 5-speed offered for B210 in north america.

Here's some photos:

13612.jpg

4649.jpg

:blush: Ha ha yes, my bad. So many numbers, so little memory space. I corrected the text. Thanks ggzilla for keeping me honest.

I'm guessing the transmission in the first post is an A14/A15 4-speed (F4W60A). Pictures of the Bell shape and a straight from above photo would help confirm.

Yes, likely a 4 speed as they were most common. I couldn't find any differences between the 4 and 5 speed 60 series tranny. Is there a way to tell by looking from above ggzilla???

Thanks ggzilla it's obvious now. I only have pictures of the 5 speed 60L with the horizontal drain. Any 4 speeds are drawings and the shortness behind the adapter plate isn't so obvious. Perhaps they used the same drawing for the 5 speed. Anyway thanks for the pictures with the added line work. I saved them.

• 2 weeks later...