Starter interchangeability L16/L18-L24?

72dat

I've got an L18 with a L16 4spd (I know not 5spd but this set up was free) and am currently rebuilding the gear box but now I need a starter. I just found a cheap one but am not sure that it will fit. Its from a 240Z. Does anybody know about this?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

All L starters will interchange including the gear reduction ones. I have a gear reduction from an '84 Maxima and it fit right on my L20B no problem. L starters will also fit an work on all Z series20/22/24 motors with tons of room to spare around the solenoid.

Z series starters will fit L series motors but you have to bend the dipstick tube toward the block to clear the solenoid.... then the thick dip stick won't slide in or out around the bend... so you have to make a flexible one work from a ford or chev I forget which...... :angry:

I think are are some starters that the nose where the pinoin housing come out hits inside the tranny(like Pac Coast said). But 99% L motor starters fit.

Heard the auto ones the selinoid was located different

all the Gear ruductions should fit as it dont havethat long nose that goes inside

Matter of fact of you look closely in the Hot rod magazines the Tilton Super Starters and other manf use Hitach Gear Reduction (280z)with different mounts for Mucsle cars.Mostly Chevys