Looking for help with 78 HL510

Hooligans

Let me start by saying that I just found the site and you guys have some awesome tech. A friend of mine has a 78 280Z that I just helped put a Chev 350 in. He is a die hard Datsun guy and has been trying to get me into them for some time.

Well, its not what everyone might want, But, I was on freecycle 2 days ago and there was a local lady that was trying to give away a 78 Datsun 510 for free. Well, its now in my posession. Brown exterior, no body damage, 4 door, interior is in excellent shape, but is missing a carb. The lady who owned it was about 70 years old and was the original owner. She was having a guy rebuild the carb and needless to say, he took off with it. Now I know its a 4 door, but hey, it was free.......

I dont know much about Datsuns so I have alot of reading ahead of me. Is there any companies that offer lowered coils for these cars? I have also read about a 280ZX front brake swap, will that work with this car? Any help, or links, that you guys can offer would be greatly appreciated.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought I did well with my $100 and $75 Datsuns, but FREE, I'm envious. If anyone tells you a '78 4-door isn't cool like the earlier series 510, just tell them you are waiting for the right early 510 shell to put your '78 engine and trans into. I assume yours has an L20B, which is the classic upgrade engine for early 510s and trucks. What transmission do you have? Any of them should fit an early 510 if you decide you want to go that way.

As to a carb, do you have to meet any sort of smog test where you are? I would think a '78 might be old enough there is no requirement, but I really don't know, since I'm in lawless E. WA. Everyone will tell you to get a 32/36 Weber carb, which isn't a bad idea, except they are hard to find used, and something like $250-300 new (maybe someone can post a source for a good new price). The Hitachi 340 carb that came on your engine should be easy to find used for somewhere between free and $15-20. Chances are a used one will need to be torn down and a kit put in, but maybe you can do that, or have a buddy who can. If you look for a used one, you need to figure out the throttle linkage hookup, so you get all the parts you need. I suspect your car has a cable running to the gas pedal, but it might be rods.

I've never found a lot of performance info on this era Datsun, but I'm sure improvements can be done. I have a '79 200SX which has very similar suspension and drive train, and they were raced, but maybe not something you would want to drive on the street: http://www.race-cars.com/carsales/other/1160146882/1160146882ss.htm I'm sure different struts, springs, and brakes can be swapped onto the front of yours, maybe 280Z parts, but I don't know exactly what may fit. Does your car have leaf springs in the rear? The early 510 wagons have leafs, and guys do mods to them, so look for info on what they do.

I looked over on Cardomain: http://www.cardomain.com/MakeModel/Datsun/510

Most of the 510s are oldies, but there are a few new style mixed in there. You might see something that will give you some ideas.

Post a pic of your car if you can.

Len

Thanks Len

Over here in Bremerton we dont have any smog laws that we need to pass with inspections. As for my trans, the car has a 4 speed. I will double check but I do believe the rear has coils also.

I know its not the car of choice for most, but like I said. It was free

One way or another I will build this car. I will get some pics on saturday. I leave for work, its dark, I get home, its dark...... man I love the winter

I suspect that the '78 brakes would be the same as the 200sx of that year (which had the same calipers as the 620 truck) I believe. If not a match, maybe the 200sx ones would fit on the 510... nice up grade. The rears had leaf springs like the older 510 wagons, so the truck differential with 4:11 and 4:375 ratios would fit. (with side gear swap) 5spds were available as an option after '77 the '78 might have even had a short tail dogleg tranny OR an old lady 3N71B automatic more likely.

the four door has indapendant rear the 2 door and the hatchback have a solid axle(that is why they rallied the four door ) the 80 might have a dog leg 5 in it my 78 hatch has one. the front struts and brakes are the same as the 200 sx (solid rotors) I wish my 71 had all the options the hatch has like rear defrost and delayed wipers. You can putt the zx struts and brakes on it but you will need camber plates. I think you can swap your rotors with the zx ones but you have to make a bracket for the calipers. or was it the 300zx rotors i cant remember if you look it up on the realm there is a thread about brake swaps

There is a Yahoo group for 1977-88 200SXs:

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/classic200sx/

You have to join the group to look at the archives, but I have a feeling there will be suspension info for '80-'83 SXs that will be close to what you need for your 510.

I got a dogleg 5-speed transmission from a '78 510 this summer. This style tranny came in your style 510, and the '77-'79 200SX. Should be a direct replacement for your 4-speed, if you can find one. However, I suspect the lower gears are about the same as your 4-speed, so unless you do a lot of freeway driving, having the 5th gear may not be all that useful. Getting your engine running and suspension mods may be a better use of time and money.

Until recently, there was an HL510 here in my town - a 4-door hatchback. I'm going to ask around and see what happened to it. My wife's Pontiac Grand-Am is running so badly, she might be desperate enough to drive a Datsun if a running one showed up in our driveway. Worth trying anyway.

Len

I like the look of the later 510s, 2-door and 4-door. The one I mentioned that was here in my town was a 4-door-with-a-hatchback. Pretty weird looking. I made some inquiries yesterday and found out it had been sold. I was pretty relieved. If it had been cheap enough, I'm sure I would have drug it home.

The body on yours looks good enough, it is well worth getting it running. It should be a fun car.

Len

For the pogo stick suspension use these coilovers boing

Things to look out for are:

Depending on the length of the spring and the desired ride height, the spring MAY be low enough to pass by the side wall of the tire. If your tire sidewall is really close to the strut tube coilovers may not fit.

Don't buy the shitty Ebay coilovers, there is a reason there only 60 bucks!!!

Also MOST nissan/datto struts are the same strut angle, Byron on the510realm made a strut chart which I don't have :( but he measured quite a few different struts and the angles. Basically any nissan datto pre 90 has the same strut angle besides the z31. It is late and I may have forgotten one :D So if you lower your HL and install zx struts the negative camber will be greater than stock but nothing to worry about. Depending on how dialed you want your car camber plates could improve the performance/tire ware.

PM Jason he is very familiar with the late model 510 struts.

I've ridden in a 79 210 (basically the same car, different motor) with cut springs, the ride quality wasn't to bad. I prefer the gocart feeling with stiff springs :D Measure the spring diameter and go to pull a part. Find a spring with the same diameter, off a heavier car. D-50 front springs work in the rear of an PL510 so I'm sure there is some sort of old car with similar springs to the HL510 :D

Dump it :D

Fuck it just take the back springs out :D

IMG00184.JPG.jpg

me and pumpkin fixed that 210 up :D

I also have a 510 from this era (1978 510 2 door). that we are customizing. Parts are a real bear to get (except that MANY small parts are still around thru the dealer believe it or not if you can get someone to look them up!). The 5 speed did come in them (mine has one) but it is mainly an overdrive, so unless you do a lot of highway, may not help you out. It also has a funky shift pattern, so speed shifting is MUCH harder. Anyways, we are modifying ours into a custom with MANY subtle body mods and stock running gear. When you get it running right (may I suggest saving up for the weber conversion, it makes a ton of difference!) it is a runner for sure. With the L20, it will haul fine. My kids all want it for a drifter (I am a high school auto shop teacher). Mine is also rear wheel solid axle and I have that many newer or "other" parts interchange. Feel free to contact me if you need any information. If you find ANY shots of ANY modified ones, let me know. I have never seen ANY car that did not have ANY shots of one on the internet!? That alone speaks volumes of how few there are out there, that are actually being worked. Good luck on your project. Brad