sexytime 4 tranny and motor

Hey everyone, it's been a while since i've posted here!

I'm installing an L16 to my 510. Sounds simple enough, but i've been having real difficulty with lining up the motor to the tranny while it is hanging from the cherrypicker. Is it really this much of a crapshoot or is there any tricks i should know about? Already dropped the rear of the tranny lower to get some more angle out of it as the front of it does "top out" if i jack it up enough in the bay. "How to Keep Your Datsun Alive" has mentioned using longer bolts to feed through all the holes, and evenly tighten them until the two meet - but it's late and i havent had much of a chance to pick up long enough hardware to do that until tomorrow. Already hit the point of "giving up tonight, having a beer and shower"

In the meantime, any help would be fantastic!

I raise my beer and cup of noodles to you all.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I had the same problem with my 620. I had the trans in the truck,jacked up all the way. I removed the oil pan,motor mounts and the crossmember to get it down far enough.

it's a pita for sure. You did the right thing-walk away from and try later. Getting the splines to line up is hard enough when it's out of the car.

But when you get that first bolt in,the rest is easy.

Keep trying you'll get it.

An adjustable engine load leveler is really handy for this operation. I had a bitch of a time putting the KA back in the hardbody and trying to line it up. See if you can't get a buddy underneath to manuever the trans bellhousing while you work the engine.

it took me a few months to get my shit to line up one time.. sucked donkey balls.. eventually she spread her cheeks an accepted the transmissions input shaft.. i think it had to do with me messing up the first pilot bushing.. i replaced it an put one in more carefully an then it wasnt so hard..

dont forget to spit on it!

UPDATE!

So here is the story, using an L16 from a wagon that had a 4 speed. It is going into my car, a 4 door 510 that already has the zx transmission with the shortened driveshaft. upon wrestling it into the engine bay and trying to get it to match up splines and have sex with eachother - no children were conceived. i then proceeded to pull the transmission out because i wanted to not risk screwing things up. even with both on the ground they wont mate. i swear its like me around courtney love, no matter what you do it will NOT slide in easily. Abiding by the rule of "never force shit" i am left here to ask, WTF??? the clutch splines up just fine, but i HAVE noticed the input shaft from the 4 speed is longer and different shaped than the ZX shaft.

What do i need to do, to make this consentual love making?

ALSO i still have the crank and flywheel left over from the previous engine i blew up which was hooked up to the ZX.... are there any parts i can use from that???

thanks amigos, cheers!

Two things have happened to me on this front. One was the pilot bushing broke out a piece even though it was new, and it got jammed in the cavity, making engagement impossible. The other is common clutch disc misalignment, which if severe enough makes it impossible to match up. Did you use a centering tool with splines or just an angled one size fits all?

Those are my two suggestions!

Two things have happened to me on this front. One was the pilot bushing broke out a piece even though it was new, and it got jammed in the cavity, making engagement impossible. The other is common clutch disc misalignment, which if severe enough makes it impossible to match up. Did you use a centering tool with splines or just an angled one size fits all?

Those are my two suggestions!

You know, it's really hard to say because they didn't want to mate before i changed out the clutch - yet it pulled out smoothly and ran just fine in the wagon on the 4spd. PERHAPS what happened was in the process of pulling it out - the pressure plate wasn't properly torqued (the previous owner of this particular wagon was a fucking retard) and the clutch could have slid around. Didn't get a chance to get a centering tool today so i'm out for the count until i'm off work in a couple days. However, this could give me the time to get a "proper" pilot bushing should there be a need for another type. Does it change when going from 4 to 5 speed?