Ran my V8 S-10 at Martin Drag Strip

It was the Pontiac GTP 3.8L V6 club night at the speedway. It was free to get in, $20 to run. My friend brought his car 2 gen RX7 with a built 350 Chevy in it, other friend brought his 99 Grand Prix GTP, and I wasn't going to go. They headed out there to be there at 11p, I got there at 1a. I pulled around the track looking for my friends, run across the V8 RX7, I asked him where do I pay to see if I can or not. He just said, pull to the line and see what they say. I pull to the line, lights go from red, yellow, green and we are off. This is my first legal race I ever done. I did horrible but I was unprepared, I had 195/65/14 junk street tires on my truck. My truck ran a 15.0341 @ 92.30 mph and the RX7 ran 13.7468 @ 102.42 mph. I ran a 2nd time and went around for a third and they stopped me from running because I wasn't a grand prix in a 3.8 class and I didn't have numbers on my truck, I pointed to my friends car as said, well that isn't no grand prix either. I wasn't upset at all, I got 2 passes for free. If I want to run again, I'm going to have to make my truck pass the safety inspection, since it has a busted windshield, no neutral safty switch, and a broken lug nut stud on the front.

My truck specs.... Not All That Impressive

1989 Chevy S-10. Auto Value Chevy 350CI V8 TBI Crate Motor, .030 over bore, Mild Comp Cams Camshaft for TBI, stock V8 computer, stock injectors, original 4.3L V6 fuel pump, and S-10 V8 Conversion Shorty Headers with 2" Exhaust. The transmission is a 5 Speed from 92 S-10 with a 4.3L, Rear end is a all stock 3.73 non posi. I just installed traction bars that were on a ford, had to modify the rubber on them so they would touch.

Picture024.jpg

Picture019.jpg

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

pixors or banz!

lol

srsly tho...

If you must.... Its a dirty ol truck I built in high school.... you'll love the datsun 620 air cleaner top.

Picture030.jpg

Picture028.jpg

Picture027.jpg

Picture026.jpg

Picture.jpg

I swapped the set of slicks I got for free on the back. It hooks up alot better now. A different friend from my old job let me try his performance chip. I didn't think it made a difference, but when I swapped my old one back in, I noticed a difference. So I plan to buy his chip, and may over time the other stuff I want.

• 2 years later...

I was looking for a et time slips for the most recent time I ran my S-10 at the strip, forgot I never updated this here.

I ran last year around the month of June.  I ran alot better, but still not what I wanted.  My truck seems to be starving for fuel after about 3500-4000 rpm's.  I think its time for an aftermarket intake and 454 throttle body.

It is very tempting to switch to carburetor over TBI.  I really don't like the TBI but my dad does.  Me and my dad built this truck in 2002, not really intending to race it, just make something with some balls and super reliable.  It gets about 23mpg most of the time and I'll probably never achieve anything close to that with a carburetor.  My dad really likes fuel injection and this is the only vehicle I have that is injected.

the rest of the stock air cleaner wont fit under the hood :/ .  I used to run a smaller air cleaner on it off a 4.3 v6 but I have now lost it somewhere.  I also has a small k/n on it but it got clogged and I tossed it.  I've had trouble getting this truck to run "right" since I bought a new engine and cam.  Comp wants me to have the ecm programed which I have not done.  I've tried the mod chip and it makes it run way worse.  Now the truck is getting ruff, box is rusted out underneath, it wheel hops bad, all the new patch panels I put in the truck are now rusting threw, its just a 500$ beater truck now days.  It is fun it looks beat, keeps people surprised when I dust their civic or lancer.  Its kinda disappointing to me that an old body eclipse with a turbo on it got me in a 1/4 mile, got me by like .3 of a second.  I had always expected this truck to run about a 13.9 in the 1/4, im almost there.