A couple simple questions...

71 510 wagon... The Haynes manual says to pack the rear wheel bearings with grease. Is this true?

Also, unrelated to the drive train thread but I'm looking for the upper brake shoe spring and can't seem to find one anywhere. Does anyone know where one can be purchased?

Thanks

Joel

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The differential bearings are lubricated by the gear lube.

The wheel bearings are not. They are packed with grease. Look in your factory manual for the procedure.

Cool but I don't have a factory manual... Is there one floating around net? Link?

Thanks

Joel

The Haynes manual is very simple with their instructions... not that the factory manual is potentially any better but from past experience, they have been a little more in depth with the exact procedure. Not to mention I have other questions that the Haynes manual has a hard time answering :P

I'll call again on the kit but the guy I talk to last time said it could be as much as a couple of weeks before he could even ship :blink: If it was easy, I was looking for a quicker option but will go that route if nothing comes up.

Thanks

Joel

• 2 weeks later...

try calling Discount Import Parts (503) 659-7444 . they can find almost anything for an import car,and they only sell OEM,or similar or better quality parts(often made by the same manufacturer who made them for your automaker) at a better price than the dealerships,as well as most other parts stores. they're good people. I worked there for just under 9 years i shipping& receiving. I recommend them to everyone.