• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a horrible solution for HIDs. The standard headlights were never meant to have HIDs. You need a housing designed for HIDs or projector bulbs. When people complain about blue headlights being too bright they are talking about these sudo HIDs. They are not talking about the nice ones on BMWs Mercedes and Audis. If you are going to run HIDs at least get some BMW E30 projector housings.

you can get headlights that they fit in, its just a question of whether or not it will blind other people. Look for BMW projector headlights(they are often sold on the site). They have a cutoff that you need I believe.

who gives a shit about blinding other people!!!! hahaha JK! i found these on craigslist theyre at 1320perfomance theyre in elk grove they sell hella tuner shit for the honduh people! they have 4000k to like 8000k or some shit but it would be kinda cool to put them in the stock headlights somehow

who gives a shit about blinding other people!!!! hahaha JK! i found these on craigslist theyre at 1320perfomance theyre in elk grove they sell hella tuner shit for the honduh people! they have 4000k to like 8000k or some shit but it would be kinda cool to put them in the stock headlights somehow

A few wrecks have ended in head on crashes due to these cheap kits around here also don't want the law bugging you over something as small as your headlights, really all you'd have to do it block off the top 1/4th of your lights, like those ricer like eyelids they stick on the honduhs.

4000k (really 4300k) are the brightest HIDs. They are the whitest of them all. The other thing people do besides HIDs is install euro bulbs in non euro headlights. This is also the blinding affect that we all hate. Too me a good set of projectors with good Halogens are way better than HID non projector. Projector lights spread the light so much better.

Ok ok lots of arguements about blinding other people etc, I have had HID kits on my last 3 datsuns (620, 521, 510) and have had all of them in a crystal clear aftermrket housing. These housings come with removable center cones that cap off the light. Leave them in the low beam, remove them from the high beamm and you will see proper beam termination and very little of people flashing you at night.

H-4 aftermarket HID bulbs have a plate that sits under the bulb, that also terminates the light ouput and keeps a focused beam, if you do not use h-4 headlights, you will get an awfully rowdy beam that will blind others. HID's if done right will be an awesome upgrade for you. a relay is about 5 bux at napa and i can send you a wiring diagram for a the high 4.

heres some pics of my 620 with hids

EDIT: these are 8000k color. the higher the color rating(12K,14ketc), the lower the light output, and the more blue and purple they will look. The lower the kelvin rating the truer whiter and brighter they will be.

DSC00009.jpg

DSC00010.jpg

Some of them at night

DSC00022.jpg

DSC00020.jpg

DSC00024.jpg

Ok ok lots of arguements about blinding other people etc, I have had HID kits on my last 3 datsuns (620, 521, 510) and have had all of them in a crystal clear aftermrket housing. These housings come with removable center cones that cap off the light. Leave them in the low beam, remove them from the high beamm and you will see proper beam termination and very little of people flashing you at night.

H-4 aftermarket HID bulbs have a plate that sits under the bulb, that also terminates the light ouput and keeps a focused beam, if you do not use h-4 headlights, you will get an awfully rowdy beam that will blind others. HID's if done right will be an awesome upgrade for you. a relay is about 5 bux at napa and i can send you a wiring diagram for a the high 4.

heres some pics of my 620 with hids

EDIT: these are 8000k color. the higher the color rating(12K,14ketc), the lower the light output, and the more blue and purple they will look. The lower the kelvin rating the truer whiter and brighter they will be.

DSC00009.jpg

DSC00010.jpg

Some of them at night

DSC00022.jpg

DSC00020.jpg

DSC00024.jpg

Where'd you get yours? I'd totally rock a set of ones that function correctly

I buy all of my hid kits on ebay.......i have a little side business up here in the woods of putting these kits in for people. I got the bulbs and housings from ebay. Stay away from the digital slim ballasts, and the HID kits claiming to be higher wattage (ie:55watts, should be 35 watts) Regular single pull double throw relays are all you need for the high 4, and you can just rob them outta the junkyard like i do, or they are cheap cheap at napa. Just checked my ebay, and I have bought 78 kits this year LOL, so i have some experience putting them in. The hardest ones I have ever had to install, wiring wise, was 2006 up dodge ram pickups, they have fluctuating voltage from the computer, wich controls the headlights, and it would make the ballasts flutter. Mostly these are an easy, 2-3 hour install!

Any q's just ask.

BTW if you want the look of projectors, i only recommend getting the bmw ones. The aftermarket projector lights are JUNK JUNK JUNK (i typed that 3 times because they suck)

Bill

I buy all of my hid kits on ebay.......i have a little side business up here in the woods of putting these kits in for people. I got the bulbs and housings from ebay. Stay away from the digital slim ballasts, and the HID kits claiming to be higher wattage (ie:55watts, should be 35 watts) Regular single pull double throw relays are all you need for the high 4, and you can just rob them outta the junkyard like i do, or they are cheap cheap at napa. Just checked my ebay, and I have bought 78 kits this year LOL, so i have some experience putting them in. The hardest ones I have ever had to install, wiring wise, was 2006 up dodge ram pickups, they have fluctuating voltage from the computer, wich controls the headlights, and it would make the ballasts flutter. Mostly these are an easy, 2-3 hour install!

Any q's just ask.

BTW if you want the look of projectors, i only recommend getting the bmw ones. The aftermarket projector lights are JUNK JUNK JUNK (i typed that 3 times because they suck)

Bill

I think the projectors would look goofy on my roadster, I've looked at these kits but need a set that do high/low beams in single bulb just avoided most of them due to the scatter issue and the local law cracking down on them. I'm rewiring my datto completely so would be rather easy to install a relay in the first place for them.

4300k least bright? White is always going to be brighter than blue. 6000k starts adding blue but not alot, my personal favorite. Its actually argued that 3000k are better(they look yellow) they are still bright but make everything look yellow which supposedly our eyes see better at night than blue. But alas yellow is the color of old fading headlights and looks horrible. Basically as you go higher in temperature you start adding more color and taking away brightness. If you really think about it, it makes sense. If your headlights are actually blue you will only ever see things that are blue. White will illuminate every color. Of course 8000k isnt blue but is just a bit bluer than 6000k.

This is a horrible solution for HIDs. The standard headlights were never meant to have HIDs. You need a housing designed for HIDs or projector bulbs. When people complain about blue headlights being too bright they are talking about these sudo HIDs. They are not talking about the nice ones on BMWs Mercedes and Audis. If you are going to run HIDs at least get some BMW E30 projector housings.

Actually they make a bulb housing that redirects the light pattern that phil has as well and i got. My hid's dont blind anyone at night. Hell ive driven in front of the car at night. So why cut up your car for bmw housings when you can get lil metal housings for way cheaper with NO cutting. Its amazing the stuff thats out there.

Agreed there are many options, and he is doing the right thing by asking people who know whats going on. AS far as the bi-xenon hids go (wich are hi low in the same bulb) this feature is achieved by tilting the actual bulb causing the arc to reflect in the housing at a different angle giving a hi beam feature similar to regular h-4 style bulbs that have dual filaments. The only problem these have, in some housings the bulbs don't have enought room to tilt, and eventually the bulb will fail from hitting the housing. I see this mostly in projector housings, i dont think you would have much of a problem in a round housing.

Good luck!

Bill

Actually they make a bulb housing that redirects the light pattern that phil has as well and i got. My hid's dont blind anyone at night. Hell ive driven in front of the car at night. So why cut up your car for bmw housings when you can get lil metal housings for way cheaper with NO cutting. Its amazing the stuff thats out there.

elaborate with some sources, thanks.

Ok. Ebay h-4 hid kit 36.99 http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/H1-H3-H4-H7-H11-XENON-HID-CONVERSION-KIT-9005-9006-9007-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem2c55cdaf66QQitemZ190418104166QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

so you would need 2 of those 1 hi 1 low 37$x2=74$

housings can vary there are these about 100 bux set of 4 http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/5-3-4-SNAKE-EYE-HEADLIGHTS-/280536826070?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item41514c40d6

Or this style about 85 bux for 4 http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/5-3-4-H5001-H1-H5006-H4-EURO-DIAMOND-CRYSTAL-HEADLIGHT-/330296104462?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4ce72e960e

Then just like any headlight, you need to wire power and ground to your headlight ballasts. you need the relay to trigger the hi beam ballast off of the low beam side so all 4 headlights come on when you put on your hi beams. The extra money it costs for hi-low hids for your low beams, so they have hi beam as well like factory is not worth the extra money. there is more than enough light being put onto the road, i did this with my 510 and found it a waste of time, as the hi low kit at the time was double a regular on/off kit......they may be a bit cheaper now....

So now that i surfed e bay for you, is it clear enough?? Kidding, just shop around there are tons of sites selling stuff, and the hid technology is so proliferated now the quality is really good. These light i am buying now for 36 bucks were better than the first set of hids i put in an old BMW back in 2001 for 3000 dollars!!!

There ya go

Bill

• Like 1