Internall engine questions

Ok all you crazy Datsun mechanial freaks...(I say that in a good way) I just bought a parts truck and pulled the engine. It was a 76 xcab, but it had a L18, it had a header and an offenhauser intake with a 32/36 weber carb. MSD electronic ignition...it drove out nice...My question is in there a way I can tell if it has a cam or any internal stuff done to it...I want to put it into my 76, and I was just curious to know if any internal work was done...

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well you could easily pull the valve cover and at least look at and measure the cam. Maybe you can tell if it's a replacement or re grind, and if the valve train is modified. Does it have a spray bar? In side the motor? If it has RTF silicone all over the pan and timing cover gaskets, someone was inside but if he really knew what he was doing it would have factory gaskets and paint and you couldn't as easily tell. So there's the dilemma.

Carb, MSD, header, manifold, chrome dip stick handle, are all add ons that anybody could put on. In side... who knows? Take it at face value and you won't be disappointed. Enjoy!

I would say that you could tell if it had a modified cam profile just by running it.I say this because I have a cam with .450 lift which is mild compared to the 430ish stock profile.It is quite lumpy,as in if you turn down the idle when warmed up it will do that blap...blap..sorta thing.Basically you lose smoothness at the get go but it screams when opened up.

Other than what mike said,most regrind cams I have seen are noticeable from a painted section and the lowest under side will be at least down to the shaft itself on the lobe area.

All the electronic ignition and msd,8mm,offy is really good stuff to run.My L18 with header,msd,matchbox,8mm's,ported mani and w58 was zippy as hell!Now it has a rebuilt 210 head and stock shit and it sucks!I wont even sell it like that.

On most aftermarket or reground cams the maker puts ID marks on the part facing the firewall. If you take off the valve cover and have a look you should be able to see if it's a stocker or a modified one by the stamped markings on the cam.

I agree with Mike. Mic the cam lobes and look for aftermarket markings on the cam. You could even pull the head and mic your cylinders as well. That would be a sure fire way of telling if the block has been bored. Sounds extreme, but, very easy work.

I am planning on doing all these advised things to mine once I get mine road worthy. I need to stay focused on the task at hand. I tend to get side tracked with shiny things. :lol:

Jester