240sx trans on a Z24 motor?

Spades

I just bought a rebuilt naps z24 to replace my tired "freshly rebuilt" naps z20s, and along with it came a 240sx transmission with two new clutch kits (one for a 86 z24 truck that the engine came out of, and one for a 240sx), and I was thinking it might be nice to have the extra gear in my 510 wagon...the only problem is I am not sure how the fitment would be.

The transmission I am currently using is a 4 speed out of the 1980 510 station wagon I swiped my naps z20 from. I know it wouldn't cost much more to have the driveline shortened (provided the 240 transmission is longer), but I already know having it lengthened would be more than I want to spend.

If the mounts are similar, and the driveline just needs shortened, I would be interested in swapping the 5spd in when I pop the motor in...but if the output shafts on the transmissions are different, or if its a huge pain to swap, I will save the project for another day.

Does anyone know how tough the swap is and how different the transmissions are?

Thanks in advance!!!

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If it's a KA 5 speed it's at least 32-33" long (Hardbody) and as much as 35"? The shifter hole will need to be moved back 5-6". The KA 5 speed sits at the same angle as the Z series motors and has the same bolt pattern.

S-13andS-12MKIICtypes.jpg

Man, do you ever get tired of having all the right answers? I hope not, because my car isn't done yet! Thanks again for the help Mike! I don't suppose you know if they share the same output shaft design? I am guessing the mounts must be in roughly the same location...

EDIT: grat's on the 13,000th post...I need to get you a thank you card or something...

Man, do you ever get tired of having all the right answers? I hope not, because my car isn't done yet! Thanks again for the help Mike! I don't suppose you know if they share the same output shaft design? I am guessing the mounts must be in roughly the same location...

As to the output spline/drive shaft spline.... Any KA should be the same as the usual Datsun drive shaft spline but check carefully!!! I just found out that the L4W71B 4 spd automatic from a Maxima that I have, has a 26 spline output and my 710 drive shaft isn't going to fit unless I find the correct front drive shaft spline... and this assumes that the both types share the same U joint size. VG motors may use this larger diameter/spline count, KA probably not, but check.

Mount locations are likely further back on the KA FS5W71C 5speeds than your Z series tranny. I think the KA 5 speeds from a D-21 Hardbody are the shortest and close to what you have, but if you shorten an inch or four, it's still shortening.

So just so I have this correct.

Lets say have a z20 with matching 5 speed installed in a 510 already, and I pull the z20 out, and install a ka24de up to the z20 trans, it should bolt right up? (other than cross-member flip, etc.)

The KA E or DE FS5W71C 5 spd. share the same bolt pattern and orientation as the Z series motors, so yes it will fit and line up properly to your Z tranny 5 speed.

NOTE: The release bearing housing fitted to the clutch arm is mated to the size of the pressure plate now on the Z20 engine. It most likely won't be a match to whatever is on the KA motor.

1/ If you have access to the tranny that the KA came from you could un-clip the release bearing housing from the clutch arm and easily clip to the Z20 tranny. This would keep the matched KA pressure plate and release bearing housings together.

2/ You may be able to install the Z20 clutch/pressure plate/flywheel on the KA motor. In this case the matched Z20 release bearing housing can be used. The KA is a fairly stout motor with lots of torque so if the Z20 flywheel fits, it would be best that a 200mm Roadster pressure plate is used to handle it.

Thank you for the info. I was just curious, because I'm doing another KADE swap right now into a dime that has a z20 swap in it right now, and the customer was asking if he could just use the same trans and drive shaft that's in there right now. (I didn't have a real answer, lol, but now I know). I plan on picking up a good KA trans (because I know he's going to work this car hard on occasion), and I want it to be able to take a little more abuse. I was just confirming that, just in case I couldn't get a KA trans right away, that he could still be driving the car in the meantime.

• 6 months later...

So, my 4 speed transmission has a pilot bearing going out(and maybe some other stuff going on), so I am probably going to end up swapping the transmission sooner than later.

I have a 2.4l naps Z from a '86 pick up(pre-hard-body), and I have a flywheel and transmission for a '87 240sx, and clutch kits for both a '86 720 pickup and a '87 240sx.

Will the 240sx flywheel bolt up to my naps-z, or do I use my flywheel I have now(naps-z20s flywheel), or do I need one for a '86 720 or for a '87 hardbody?

I know I will need to shorten the driveshaft and move the transmission mounts back, but can anyone confirm if the splines are different on the 240sx trans compared to the splines found on the old naps and L series transmissions?

I need info so I know how much time and cash this is going to take, and if I need to buy more parts than what I have already. Any help will be greatly appreciated!

please? does anyone have any information on what it takes to bolt a naps Z24 to a ka24 transmission? It would be great to know what I have to do to pull this off, or if it is possible with the parts I have. I have been looking on the interwebs, and have seen several people say they have done it, but no one has given any specifics other than needing to fab a custom transmission mount and shorten the driveline.

If anyone has any info, pictures, ect. that would be great. I could just pull the whole engine and transmission out and see if the swap is do-able, but if I can avoid it, I would rather not pull the motor. I would like to know what combo of parts would make this possible, and pull only the transmission. The car is at my parents and I don't want it tied up there for a long time. I need to know if I should abandon the idea and get my 4spd rebuilt, or if I can do the swap with the engine in the car, or if I should pull everything.

Thank you in advance!

It takes some bolts to attach it.

they sit at the same angle, try n find one the same length as what you got otherwise you will have to get a different drive shaft or have yours corrected

make sure you get the correct clutch shit for the size of the flywheel. 225mm etc.

It takes some bolts to attach it.

they sit at the same angle, try n find one the same length as what you got otherwise you will have to get a different drive shaft or have yours corrected

make sure you get the correct clutch shit for the size of the flywheel. 225mm etc.

Hey, thanks for the info! Bolts won't be a problem(we have 2 hardware stores,a fastenal, and a couple autoparts stores in town). I needed to replace one of the "non-serviceable" u-joints anyway(I only replaced one end the last time I had the driveline lengthened), so if the driveline length is off and I need to fab a new transmission mount, that wont be an issue.

I have a couple of new clutch kits, one being for the 240sx, so between them, I hopefully can find one to match the 240sx flywheel.

are there any other snags than fasteners and length of the transmission?

Thanks again for the help!

Actually, the transmission mount should not have to be modded. they should bolt right up in the same spot, the length of the trans changed is the issue, so thats why you may have to mod your driveline.

I dont know about 240sx, but datsuns use 200mm for cars, and 225 for trucks, the naps used a 225mm for the truck also, i believe along with the hardbodys. Just measure your flywheel and get a kit according to what it is. (is the 240sx flywheel 6 bolt also?)

please? does anyone have any information on what it takes to bolt a naps Z24 to a ka24 transmission? It would be great to know what I have to do to pull this off, or if it is possible with the parts I have. I have been looking on the interwebs, and have seen several people say they have done it, but no one has given any specifics other than needing to fab a custom transmission mount and shorten the driveline.

If anyone has any info, pictures, ect. that would be great. I could just pull the whole engine and transmission out and see if the swap is do-able, but if I can avoid it, I would rather not pull the motor. I would like to know what combo of parts would make this possible, and pull only the transmission. The car is at my parents and I don't want it tied up there for a long time. I need to know if I should abandon the idea and get my 4spd rebuilt, or if I can do the swap with the engine in the car, or if I should pull everything.

Thank you in advance!

The Z24 and the KA24E 5 speed have the same bolt pattern and positioning so just bolt away.

I have a 2.4l naps Z from a '86 pick up(pre-hard-body), and I have a flywheel and transmission for a '87 240sx, and clutch kits for both a '86 720 pickup and a '87 240sx.

Will the 240sx flywheel bolt up to my naps-z, or do I use my flywheel I have now(naps-z20s flywheel), or do I need one for a '86 720 or for a '87 hardbody?

I think the KA flywheel will work and you have the clutch kit? Does it have the release bearing AND collar??????? If not you will need to get one that matches the KA pressure plate which is, I think, 240mm. .

Or, trade in the Z24 (225mm) and KA clutches and simply get a replacement 200mm clutch for your Z20 flywheel. You can use the Z20 release bearing collar, but replace the bearing.

is the 240 a single or dual cam?

i think the z and ka blocks are the same... so the 240 trans will work .. measure your driveline...

and the shifter is gonna be farther back... you should be able to use the same clutch..

you should cross reference a clutch from the 240 with the one you have to make sure... just the input splines have to match..

oh the tranny mount is prolly different too..

thats just what i can think of right now...

The Z24 and the KA24E 5 speed have the same bolt pattern and positioning so just bolt away.

I think the KA flywheel will work and you have the clutch kit? Does it have the release bearing AND collar??????? If not you will need to get one that matches the KA pressure plate which is, I think, 240mm. .

Or, trade in the Z24 (225mm) and KA clutches and simply get a replacement 200mm clutch for your Z20 flywheel. You can use the Z20 release bearing collar, but replace the bearing.

The transmission came with a flywheel and everything to actuate the clutch, and the clutch kits are complete, so if the 240sx flywheel will bolt to my naps motor, then I will go with that route. If the only hitch is driveline length (possibly) then I am a happy camper.

Guest kamakazi620

The transmission came with a flywheel and everything to actuate the clutch, and the clutch kits are complete, so if the 240sx flywheel will bolt to my naps motor, then I will go with that route. If the only hitch is driveline length (possibly) then I am a happy camper.

How about a trade deal???? I can get a 720 Z24 5 speed that will bolt up with a shortened d/l (witch i have) I want your 240 ka trans and d/l in trade

The KA and Z24 blocks are only similar. They do have the same bolt pattern and the trannys will swap but the KA is 80-100 lbs heavier.

My 240 KA24E block

KA24Eblock001Large.jpg

Z24

motorZ24crankauto.jpg

I think we covered this in another thread, but the Z24 and KA24 TRUCK ONLY blocks are basically the same. Same dimensions, will fit interchangeably, with some difference in peripherals, and oil pans. But the Mexican truck KA doesn't look anything like the 240 Japan KA shown in that pic.

KAz24compare.jpg

Sonofabitch. Just noticed one more difference I was wondering about for the KAZ24 build. The block vent on the Z24 is normal. The KA is off the timing cover. Dammit. Going to have to figure that out too. :(