Two trans. What are they???

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm here, I'm here.

You should post a picture of them.

The one with the pan is very likely an F4W63. If it's 26" long it's from a 510 or early 620. If longer it could be from a 610/710. The one from the mid 70s is likely an F4W71B and is the stronger of the two. Again this is a best guess without pictures.

Posting pictures on line

There aren't any 5-speeds with pans. 2 different 4-speeds had pans- F4W63 (used in all 521s, 68-73 510s, 73-75 610s, and '73 620s) and F4W63L (used in '74-77 710s and 78-81 510s).

Anyone want to take a bet that BOTH transmissions are 4-speeds? "Mid 70s Z-car" trans could easily be a 4-speed as all 74-76 Zs had 4-speeds as the only manual, and 4-speeds were standard on the rest of the years (70-78).

He doesn't mention that they are different lengths so I assume they are both longs (31.5") This makes it a later F4W63(L?)

Probably like this:

F4W63long.jpg

F4W71B used after '74 and at least till '83 on the 720. Note the 6 bolt rectangular cover plate with round breather just forward of the shifter as skib mentioned. The FS5W71B 5speed didn't come out until '77 model year 280z and 620.

74L18F4W71B.jpg

Well Lots of good info from you guys and, yes, I got screwed!! The trans with the pan is a 4 speed but the other is a 5.

The 4 speed trans came from a e-bay screw up that involved the guy begging for his money and me caving. When I went to get it he was long gone and a friend who knew little helped me. I knew it was a scew job at the time and, he got me good.

In the future I'll ask here first!!

Thanks, Kurt.

This is an F4W71B 4 speed:

74L18F4W71B.jpg

These are FS5W71B 5 speeds:

IMG_0308.jpg

Check carefully. If not exactly like the pictures it could be another 5 speed. A picture could really help as there is a 5 speed that is from a Z series motor and although it will bolt up to an L series it will sit leaning to the right side with the shifter in the passenger seat.

Okay, so I'm in the shower tonight, where I do my best thinking - maybe water falling on my head stimulates brain cells or something. Anyway, I'm thinking of "Real World" situation trans ID - you are at Pull n Save and find an L engined something (620, 720, Z, later 510, whatever). No way of knowing if the PO may have swapped trannys, and the shift lever is gone (those seem to disappear pretty fast at P&S for some reason), so you can't even run through the shift pattern. Is it 4-speed or 5-speed? You look under and it has a pan, it's a 4, and you don't care if it is long or short. Or, you look under and see no pan, and start getting excited. Reach up on top ahead of the shifter and feel the dreaded flat plate and six bolts. Curses, foiled again, another 4-speed. If you don't feel plate/6 bolts, oh joy, it's a 5-speed? Is it really this simple, or are there some other style 4-speeds lurking out there?

Len

Okay, so I'm in the shower tonight, where I do my best thinking - maybe water falling on my head stimulates brain cells or something. Anyway, I'm thinking of "Real World" situation trans ID - you are at Pull n Save and find an L engined something (620, 720, Z, later 510, whatever). No way of knowing if the PO may have swapped trannys, and the shift lever is gone (those seem to disappear pretty fast at P&S for some reason), so you can't even run through the shift pattern. Is it 4-speed or 5-speed? You look under and it has a pan, it's a 4, and you don't care if it is long or short. Or, you look under and see no pan, and start getting excited. Reach up on top ahead of the shifter and feel the dreaded flat plate and six bolts. Curses, foiled again, another 4-speed. If you don't feel plate/6 bolts, oh joy, it's a 5-speed? Is it really this simple, or are there some other style 4-speeds lurking out there?

Len

Len, you see this picture?

IMG_0308.jpg

...one is an L and one is a Z series. Can you feel the difference????? laugh.giflaugh.gif

Seriously, you're right, a 5 speed could be on any L motor so you have to check them all. To answer your question there is another 4 speed out there called an F4W71A used on the early Z car. There is also a 3 speed standard.

There are 2 different early Z car competition 5 speeds, and 3 production 5 speeds that will bolt to the L series. Add to that the KA 5 speed can be 'converted' with a bell swap to fit the L series.

Nismo makes at least 4 competition direct drive 5 speeds with 5th gear straight through one to one ratio like the 4 speed.

...one is an L and one is a Z series.

Seriously, you're right, a 5 speed could be on any L motor so you have to check them all. To answer your question there is another 4 speed out there called an F4W71A used on the early Z car. There is also a 3 speed standard.

Yeah, in my fantasy trip to Pull n Save, I was hoping I didn't run into something like a late '70s 510 with the engine gone and have to figure out if it had an L or Z20 in it. There is probably a way to look at something like the level of the top bolt holes (with the trans in the vehicle and no engine) and tell if it has an L or Z bell housing. I'll have to pay attention to that at P&S.

So how do you ID this F4W71A box? Again, the game is the tranny is in the car and the shift lever is long gone.

And what on earth did the 3-speed come in? Did it have a pan?

Len

F4W71Aearly240zandFS5W71B.jpg

FS5W71B top and F4W71A from early 240z. I think they are a Roadster tranny with an special L bell for use on the L series motor.

The 510/520 had a 3 speed column shift. You don't see too many.

datzenmike: My 5 speed looks like the top one in your first photo. Nothing too weird- came with a short shift lever that had a sort of pistol grip knob but shift gate location was missing on it.

The 4 speed did'nt have a lever. Sloppy shift mechanism--almost glad I can't use it.

Thanks again, Kurt.