Stereo install

'70dime

I have a '70 510 and I decided it was time for some tunes for the first time since I've had the car. The problem I'm running into is where to mount the front speakers. I want to put them in the kick panel but not only is the existing hole to small but it I made it big enough there wouldn't be enough depth. I just want to know what others have done, or if they have any ideas for my car.

004.jpg

003.jpg

any help would be greatly appreciated.

Pierce Jones

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And there's the problem. The kick panels are the perfect spot but not deep enough. The door is then the obvious choice but I won't ever mount one there after seeing so many cars with ruined doors. Perhaps buying special thin speakers designed for this? I was lucky and they did fit my 620 kicks. I put a biscuit speaker on top of each side of the dash. Biscuits look like Oreo cookies... do they still make them? Anyway they only pass high frequency and the right and left bounce off the inner windshield and into the cab and provide great stereo imaging. If you only have the 4" in the kicks a passenger's legs kind of block this.

when i installed speakers in my 620 i just used some 3/8' plexi glass and cut spacers out with a hole cutting tool and that gave me the extra clearance to fit the magnet in, if i were you i would sand down some of that rust, self etching prime it and them paint it semi gloss black so that when they look down at your sweet new speakers they see fresh paint.

Braden- I will be sure to do that. I also have some material to make new kick panels.

I think I will try fiberglass first, then use the plexiglass idea. Any ideas on what kind of wood to use when framing the fiberglass.

wanna know the cheapest and easiest ways to install front speakers on a 510? either buy 3.5" speakers and put them in the air vents and run your air vents with some ducting to dump them under the dash, or remove the ducting completely, OR...put a 4" with a grill assembly in the kick panels. the hole in the kick panels is not large enough or deep enough, but there is a solution. Buy a piece of ABS plastic pipe the same diameter as the outer plastic of your speaker grill, and get creative.

The other option is what I will be doing...buy a pair of 5.25" or 6.5" shallow mount speakers, and buy a 5.25" or 6.5" plastic spacer. these spacers can be purchased from almost any car stereo shop or online for about $10. They are usually 1" depth, but you can also buy 2 pairs, and stack them together. Use an epoxy to stick them together, sand them down on the outside, and paint them with krylon fusion to match your interior.

MDF rings can be purchased from places like sonicelectronix, or you can build your own kick panels from a sheet of Medium Density Fiberboard, or if you are good with fiberglass, you can make some really trick enclosures.

The possibilities are just about endless, it all depends on your level of creativity and how much cash you have available.

You guys are awesome, I have one million ideas now. I think a combination of 5in PVC (do they make that?) and fiberglass. and remake the kick panel with new material.

What do you guys think?

I know 4" ID ABS is common, maybe someone can correct me, but I think it goes from 4" to 6"...

EDIT: don't forget to scuff the pipe up with very abrasive sand paper, otherwise the fiberglass resin won't bond at all to the PVC or ABS pipe.

Thanks all who have given me some input. Its not that I'm dead set on using these speakers but I already bought them I don't feel like sending them back to the seller on ebay. So if I don't mention your idea, don't feel bad. I'm just cheap.

Pierce Jones