Z22 opinions

Apollo77

whats your take? i have a Z22 block that i am building and plan on it being a daily driver. should i bore or not bore? and what pistons? i thought of flat top, but kinda lookin away from that now. been told if i could end up with alot of engine noise.

thanks for all the help

DV

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

plans / goals for it?

start w/the HG selections and then decide. (im thinking LZ here and may not be an issue!)

there is no replacement for displacement.

not sure how a bigger bore equates to increased noise? :?

increased CR will cause issues if not accounted for now.

whats your take? i have a Z22 block that i am building and plan on it being a daily driver. should i bore or not bore? and what pistons? i thought of flat top, but kinda lookin away from that now. been told if i could end up with alot of engine noise.

thanks for all the help

DV

Bore to 89mm.

Install Z24 pistons on L20B rods.

Use open chamber U67/W58 or equivalent 45cc open combustion chamber.

Engine is 2288cc or 2.3Liter and has a manageable compression of 8.4

Same as #1 above but with P nut head 8.85 compression.

Same as #1 above but with KA24E Pistons and 45cc open chamber head... 9.82 compression

What's not to like with this set up? I like the #1 option as all the parts are easy to get and no one wants them. The head can be milled very slightly to raise the compression to just under 9. Any higher an there's pinging risk.

I stuck with the stock setup but had it bored out 20 over and no real noticible noise increase and went with all new guts. You can check out the build here:http://community.ratsun.net/topic/18069-2nd-720/

Kevin Sweeny is my mechanic that does all my engine work period. I do electrical not motors so I let him handle it. I and tossing the King Rats #1 idea around, I will get a picture of Kevin's face when I bring him all the parts and say "Here, can you build this for me?" :D

Z-22 with an L-20b head would be a good piece short of going the stroker route.

stroke is greater on the Z22 crank, and increased displacement over the L20 block.

Z22 is a 'newer' block (mine was still cracked :rolleyes: )

original plan was a Z22 crank in the L20 block, for a real stroker ;)

i used forged pistons w/a 1/2 dish, to create a quench area, and the CR is ~9.5:1