My 33K Original Miles, 521 Farm Truck Purchase!

I went to a friends, cousins farm a few month back. While on a drunken tractor ride of the large property, I saw a '72 521 in the back region of the property. Here is the truck:

2ef1gxv.jpg

After months of bugging them, I was finally able to convince them to sell it to me. I have wanted one of these for years, and was amazed that it was sitting there like any other pile of crap.

I am looking for heatercore hoses with no luck, the truck has been sitting since '94, and they are dry-cracked and leaking.

Is there a good online source for parts for these trucks? I am having a hard time finding stuff.

I was searching for a drop in electronic ignition (Pertronix or similar) or another factory electronic distributor from another model that would drop in, but could not find definitive info on either. So I fabbed up a crank trigger wheel, and a bracket for a crank position sensor, and went with programmable standalone distributorless (Which will also run my EFI with small turbo after I build some manifolds). Here are some pics and a video of my progress so far...

2cyqj2c.jpg

9knqyq.jpg

The future is going to bring s-10 front suspension, s-10 rear axle, 4 link and bags. The future plan in a quick sketch...

5nm6iu.jpg

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice truck. Looks to be pretty clean & str8. Hard to tell from just ONE PIC! Come on dude. lets see some more shots. Interior, Engine, Back, other side....... :D What are your plans for it?

263geqc.jpg

1fxwd2.jpg

2w1xe0g.jpg

2ufzseq.jpg

1j9hk0.jpg

k48bqf.jpg

sz95e8.jpg

301hq9t.jpg

5bwi0m.jpg

24mys7t.jpg

mt4jg4.jpg

Like my temporary wiring for the distributorless ignition? lol! This was all for testing, as when I convert to fuel injection, I am making a whole new engine harness. Is there any chance that there is an EFI intake manifold off of a newer Datsun/Nissan engine that will bolt to this head?

Cool ignition you fabbed up there! That's awesome. The inventiveness of people on this board never ceases to amaze me. It does seem to have a backfire problem and sounds like it's whistling though :D

Good ear, it was actually only running on 2 cylinders in the video I have posted. I found a resister in the ECU that was the wrong one, and swapped it out (Smeone had been in the ECU tinkering). So half of the ignition circuit was dead. It is all good now!

:lol: I was actually just joshin' you about the fireworks in the background at the end of the vid :D ..I've heard a lot worse if it was only running on two cylinders! Again, that is really a cool ignition system..I have heard of a crank trigger ignition, but never fabbed up and retrofit like that.

That truck is beautiful!!! try to keep it stock and not relegate it to another failed custom attempt

+1 way too many datsuns still out there to chop up that are not in as good as shape. Hell if all you want is to chop it up and lay frame, I got a running 77 620 KC Ill trade you! That truck is begging for a frame off restore to factory!

That truck is beautiful!!! try to keep it stock and not relegate it to another failed custom attempt

I fully understand where you are coming from. This is not an odd coincidence of this truck just falling in my lap. I am 31 years old, and have wanted the 521 datsun since before I could drive. This is a dream realized. I remember seeing my first one on the side of a house that was fully restored just a minute from my house, and I could still drive to that house today the memory is that vivid. I am a custom car builder, and this truck is now MINE! It is not gonna be my daily driver, but now I will always have my little truck.

I already have the full plan pretty much figured out. It is getting EFI and a small turbo system (Under 10psi, obviously the distributorless ignition, S-10 front supension, and rear axle (To both update the suspension, and open up bolt pattern options for wheels (Looking to go with a 15" moon style painted wheel with chrome cap/trim ring, and wide whitewall tire,most likely add-a-whitewall style). The suspension will be full bags, with a 4 link in the rear. This truck has been a long time in the planning stage in my head, now I finally have an actuall truck in my possesion!

And a double thanks to the guy with the part numbers on the heater hoses, I could not be happier to get that info!

I threw some 3" blocks in the rear tonight just to get the stance looking a bit better untill I get some time to rip off the bed and get to work on the new axle and 4 link set-up, and yesterday, got the front torsions re-splined, and got the front looking a bit better. Obviously temporary, but it puts a smile on my face and keeps me motivated. A buddy of mine has a vintage Chevy Luv that he inherited from his grandfather, and he is into a similar look, so it is fun to have the two trucks together. I may need to ultimately step up the drivetrain to something factory EFI equipped, and with a 5 speed though. we will see...

Well, looks like you have one thing left to do... Build thread!!! Good luck! BTW there is a Bar-B-Que on the 11th in South Hill!! hope to se ya there! it is on the calendar. And if you need any electrical help, give me a yell.

Is "South Hill" locatesd in Tacoma? I am Kirkland located myself, that could be managable!

More solid aftermarket support, better bolt patternt, more of an overall proven suspention (Also same as G body cars).

hmmm....the first 521 i started to build i used a 2wd toy front end and had to narrow it 3 inches IIRC and run a 16x7 et 40+ to get it to tuck....of course it never got finished so who knows