73' 620 to 79' 620 Electronic Ign Distributer conversion questions.

Dispatchbdb

I just purchaced a 79' electronic ignition distributer (offf a L20B) for my 73' 620 with an L16. I purchaced it remanufactured from a local parts store. I origonally had the dual points distributer.

My question is this:

Since I bought the distributer new I do not have the aluminum pedestal mount and the "L" shaped adjuster plate that would normally come with the L20B. Can I use the mount and adjuster plate from my L16 and just modify the adjuster plate? Modify it by just hogging out the mounting holes a little.

Also, I accidently lost the rotor position when I removed my old distributer. When I put the new one in, do I rotate the engine to TDC on the #1 cylinder, then put the distributer in, then whichever terminal the rotor is pointing to becomes the number 1 cylinder? Then just simply apply the plugs in the correct firing order from there?

I've read the write up on this in the tech area, but am a little confused on these things.

I appreciate any help.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hey.That should be the matchbox type distributor I believe.You can bypass the resistor to the coil and use a msd if you want to.

The datsun dizzy will only mount in one position.Push down on the rotor while you turn it and it will seat into the notch.You should set the motor to tdc compression stroke and where the rotor points will be #1.As for the bottom plate,you cannot use the dual point one as it is smaller.At least in my exp.I have a few if you need one.

Datsun fish, I am referring to the "matchbox style distributer. Would you also have the L20B pedastal mount along with the adapter plate. If so, I would love to buy them from you.

Also, thanks for the welcome Jester! I purchaced my 620 last week and have found a ton of info on it already. I am already updating the ignition system, buying a 32/36 webber, and lowering it. Mainly doing these things because of reading forums such as this one!

just to let you know there is 2 versions of the match box dizzy and the pedastal and plate.

Datdoug knows this one!!!!!!!!

just to get it running put it to TDC and install the dizzy. then turn it till it lines up to #1 plug wire. Then get a mini C clamp to holt it down it you want to drive it.

Match box dizzy like the MSD Blaster 2 coils or the 79200sx coil.

But I have seen the stock coil used if you leave the ballast resistor in there.

But I will leave this up to you and hope you get it right. If you drive down the roada and it stops working you COOKED something

ballast510_thumb.jpg

coilwireing_thumb.jpg

You can also go to Dimequarterly.com..there is a write up of the exact step by step way to get to where ya want to be........You can also go to the local pick ur part and "harvest" the pedestal you need from a 79 280z....works well..if that same car has a coil,,,grab that too..or order one from Rockauto.com...welcome and don't be afraid to ask those questions..we've all been there

Hainz,are you saying there are 2 types of electronic or 2 matchboxes.I have 4 matchboxes and they are all the same.The other,adjacent module type dizzy may be different.

Bryan,if you get the wrong one I have all types so no sweat but I am sure it is right.I am sending the exact setup I have on 2 running matchbox setups.

Good question. I have a remote igniter box and two other match boxes, but the boxes are mounted in a different location on the side, or at least the vacuum advance is differently located, than my '79 truck dizzy. They're off Z20E motors.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hainz,are you saying there are 2 types of electronic or 2 matchboxes

its mentin in Jason grays write up on the 620.com site

yes what I have experienced is that one is different. The clocking will be slightley different.

If you use the standard L20 pedastal and install it in L motor at TDC the rotor will point inbetween 1 and 3 on the cap. its enought to get running but runs bad. Since WE did NOT have this elusive pedastal to rotate the dizzy I and ray told Doug to move the oil pump drive one tooth off so the rotor will line up to #1 plug wire. This is the only exception to move the oil pump/dizzy drive. If everything was correct it would have lined up were it needed to be.

most L20 pedastals the tang will be like in the 4 o clock position but the other Matchbox is like in the 3 oclock(the tang)

Thats why always grap the whole assembly. so when you put motor in TDC is should go right in(Idiot proof)

But people grap just the dizzys and not anything elese then sell to some one else then this happens.

Think of a chevy V8 just turn the dizzy till it lines up and find a way to lock it down(Mimi C clamp) then find the pedastal/timming plate so you get the correct slotted movment.

PS L16 ones will not line up the hole for the timming plate.

one on left is L16(its was a mistake)

one on right is a L18, L20 for sure

Now there is another L20 Pedastal that the tang will be straight out 90deg from the mounting holes(3 o clock position) thats waht the other Matchbox usues

HPIM0264_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I recieved the correct pedestal mount from Datsunfish on Christmas eve and had it running that night! Had a chance to wrap everything up yesterday. New plugs, wires, cap, rotor, MSD-2 coil. I gapped my plugs at .41, set my timing to about 10 degrees, and adjusted my new weber 32/36 carb the best I know how. It idles great and starts great. This is a very easy and clean conversion (as long as you have the right parts!).

Thanks to everyone for the help.