pics of tranny coolers in Datsun engine bays???

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm thinking about adding a transmission cooler to my 510 but it's such tight quarters I can't really think where one might go. anyone running one and if so what size?

Run the fluid thru the cooler and theninto the radiator cooler and then back to the trans.

I've cut open the bottom rad tank and looked at the stock auto coolers... guess what? It was just a copper line between the two external fittings... that's it. I thought there would be more to it but no. The metal lines from the auto to the rad and back will shed a lot of heat as well but 8" of pipe surrounded with hot rad water? Doesn't seem like much to me.

I made one for my old Omni when I replaced the rad from a standard. Used the condenser from a home air conditioner and strapped it behind the grill. If big enough it doesn't have to have air blowing through it. With all the pipe and fins it will radiate a lot of heat. Don't forget about how small the stock one is.

Heat is the number one destroyer of auto transmissions. The case, coolant lines and rad radiate enough heat to cope with the regular use but towing or heavy loads and steep hills will generate a lot more. Add to this a very hot rad and lack of fluid changes you may have a problem. Automatics will give hundreds of thousands of trouble free miles if you change the fluid every 30K and never over heat them. If you suspect you may have overheated the fluid, change it. Avoid towing with an automatic or at least add a large cooler from an RV and change the fluid more often.