FS5W71B shifter bushings

datzenmike

I tried to find a replacement for the plastic shifter bushings and got a door hinge pin kit from HELP. I found that the bushings won't fit, without drilling the shifter to size, which would work, but the inner hole for the pin and 'C' clip was too big. You can see below that the bushing is leaning with the pin inside.

Well one last thing that could save this is to hack saw through the bushing to remove some metal and squeeze the ends together. If I'm careful it will decrease the outer diameter as well as the inner.

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/DSC01192.jpg[/img]"]DSC01192.jpg

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you get the "HELP!" chrysler door bushing kit #38377 ones? I've used them twice with great success... I press one side at a time into the shifter, using the vice.The material is soft, when you press them into the shifter, the ID will be smaller. Once in, you'll find the pin won't quite fit, so you'll need to use a round file to open them up just a hair. When the bushings are in the shifter, you'll also notice that they won't fit into the ears on the transmission, as their a little to wide, so I used a flat file... Really not much filing involved, less than 5 minutes all together.

I've used them in my 620, and in my old 280z.

Ah, maybe that's it. The number I was given is 38388 HELP Chrysler door hinge '83-'91. Maybe it's slightly bigger?

The one I got is 0.345" ID (that the pin fits through) and 0.480" OD (that fits into the shifter) and I think, there's no way it would press in. Anyway, all in all, it worked out fine. Check that #, I have a post on the Realm I could up-date.

Why hack it together when there is another solution? I've used these before and they work good - Brass or Aluminum shifter bushings.

There used to be a guy in Southern Oregon making these. I have a Delrin set in my new 620. They work great. I had the brass ones in my 510. Same thing, worked great!

https://www.dormanproducts.com/cgi-bin/vm91corp30r/item-dtl.w?sid=0x00f15a03&item=38377&icrid=&clt=hwrap1&vsrch_str=38377&vsrch_brand=ALL&vsrch_cat=ALL&st_amount=&end_amount=&start=&vfrom=&prev=&vnext=&category_list=:0

These are the ones I always use...

Item Number: 38377 Various Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth Cars, Trucks & Minivans 1996-87.

Size: .376"ID x .495"OD x .250".L

Just use a vice to press them in, right out of the package. I don't consider it hacking at all... Why would I pay 2-3x as much on ebay, and have to wait, when I can go down to the parts store and buy the HELP! bushings for $5.00? I even made a set of aluminum ones myself once when I made a short shifter for my 280z... I'm just cheap and want my stuff now I suppose :)

OK! Dremel w/sanding disc. Press fit with thumb, pin goes in with a twist. Nice and snug.

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/Copyoftransshifterbushing.jpg[/img]"]Copyoftransshifterbushing.jpg

This cost about $7 Cdn. and some farting around this afternoon (raining anyway) Cheap? hell yeah, but I like to make stuff work too.

I bought those aluminum ones form ebay....they do not fit into the shifter right..But I made them fit with a hammer...the pin fits nicely though..the real problem was getting the shifter into the ears...the bushing ends are too thick so I had to shave them...they fit perfect now...:)

Oh I don't know if I should post this here or start a new thread but when I was changing the bushings, I noticed that the tranny was not mounted to the mounts...the mounts on the tranny doesn't reach the mounts on the chasis...Is this a bad thing???is this what is called a "short tail"?? I want to put a five speed in, so judging by what I explained, what should I do to put a 5 speed...or what is needed??? and whats the best replacement???

Measure it from where it joins the motor all the way back to the end of the tail stock. A long tail is about 31" (and change) the short is (I'm guessing) 26"? Big enough that there is no way to mistake them. If you do have a shortie the 5spd should fit up to the unused mounts you have, but you will need a 5spd front drive shaft (it's a two piece) which is shorter. If you get the truck 5spd, get the drive shaft with it. In fact, get the whole drive shaft, in case.

• 6 months later...

I know it's an older thread, but I would like to put in my .02.

There is also another help me kit that will work. It has an assortment of bushings of which 2 sets will work. One set is the one mentioned previously plus another set.

The only filing I ever had to do was so I could fit the lever between the ears.

I was able to use the pin using the vise to form the ID of the bushings after installed in the lever. Once worked back and forth the movement eased up.