Crackpot idea or not?

Maybe I should have mentioned that the Navy testing was using salt water :) I'm not too concerned about running out of water.....quick check on the net got this info...

A little over 2/3 of the Earth is covered by water.

To be more precise, the consensus is 70.8% (71%) of the surface is water, 29.2 % is land.

Other figures: The exact percentage of water (on Earth) is 71.11% Also the exact percentage of land (on Earth) is 28.89%

As for riding your bike....you won't have grease for the bearings in your wheels...there aren't too many 100% synthetics out there yet....most are hybrids of with a petroleum base.

Salt water will better conduct electricity for electrolysis. As stated before.... burning it converts it back into water. Like the conservation of energy law... when water is split into it's separate components all you have to do is burn it to put it back together. There is no 'burning' of water where it gets used up like petroleum.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks guys! Great info! Water on the roads? Not an issue...it would have to put out water like a fire hydrant and it simply dribbles out. Most of it comes out as vapor.

As for the bearings....let's stretch the view out to something a bit broader than you and your bike :) Chicken fat may work in your bike, but when you have a wreck on your bike and crack your head open, the ambulance that you would really like to show up won't because it's wheel bearings just won't appreciate the chicken fat like your bicycle. :) I don't think most people realize just how pervasive the use of petroleum is in products you use ever day.....products that have absolutely nothing to do with fuel and oil. I will point out the downside that any of the cars running on hydrogen will have the same issues with lack of grease....but if every car/truck out there was running on hydrogen right now, the reserves of oil would last way, way, way longer and engine oil and wheel bearing grease don't get consumed anywhere near as fast.

Just for grins...here's the first thing that popped up on google for "petroleum based products" ...I'm sure this is not all inclusive.

http://www.saveandconserve.com/2007/05/petroleum_based_products_a_long_list.html

BTW, they do make NPT nuts.

http://www.pressureparts.com/U-Fittings-C-Fit-HexNuts-Bra-Pressure-Products.aspx

A friend is working on a hydrogen storage system that is powered by the multiple solar arrays at His home during the day , it should store hydrogen and burn it in a generator for power at night. This kind of system I can see being functional, the small automotive systems, well lets just say I am waiting for definative evidence that they actually work.

Some of those HHO nuts go on about using wasted alternator output. Well there is no wasted output. 50 amp alts don't produce 50 amps at all times even though only 15-20 are used to run the car. The regulator only allows as much production as needed so if an HHO generator is connected that draws 15 amp then the total draw is 30-40 amp and because the motor has to work to turn the alt you are'nt getting something for free. I suppose if a relay was installed for use only when the brakes are applied you are recovering some otherwise wasted momentum.

Mechanical motion when converted to electricity by the alternator is not perfect and there are losses not even counting friction. Then there are electrical losses in the electrolysis production. Then thermal efficiency losses (just like gasoline) in the internal combustion engine, again ignoring frictional losses. Assuming a 100% conversion of mechanical energy to electricity and then into splitting water into it's two parts, and then 100% conversion back into mechanical motion by an engine you would be back at zero. Energy in equals energy out. You can't create energy, only move it around. Any HHO gas made by the car electrical system will not be enough to run the motor on to turn the alt. to make it.

How much gas is made by these HHO generators in 10 min? A liter or two? How long will that last in an L20B? Maybe two cylinders for one turn????

As I stated before, burning a small amount of Brown's Gas (HHO) may, I say, MAY have some unknown benificial effect on ordinary gas/air combustion motors . Perhaps an octane increase? Perhaps like a catalist it doesn't do much in itself but may influence something else. .... but I doubt it very much. If you want to get rich. Start making these kits for the HHO nuts to buy.

BTW, they do make NPT nuts.

http://www.pressureparts.com/U-Fittings-C-Fit-HexNuts-Bra-Pressure-Products.aspx

A friend is working on a hydrogen storage system that is powered by the multiple solar arrays at His home during the day , it should store hydrogen and burn it in a generator for power at night. This kind of system I can see being functional, the small automotive systems, well lets just say I am waiting for definative evidence that they actually work.

Haha, holy crap! I can't imagine where you'd find those other than a strictly plumbing supply. I know NAPA doesn't have them, but now I know they exist!