washer bottle

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Got both...the bag is old but doesn't seem to leak...now just got to remember where I put it! Also you could easily adapt a 411 squarish bottle to work too...the motors ALWAYS quit, so usually you need to buy an aftermarker motor and hide it somewhere. that's all for now folks.

You maybe can fix the pump. I just fixed two of mine, it was easy. Unplug the hose that goes to the squirt nozzle, unplug the two wires from the motor, and take the bag out. If the hoses are hard to remove from the bag, get a heat gun, or a hair dryer and heat the ends on the hoses up first, and then gently remove them. Take the three clips off the bottom of the bag, and pull the motor/pump assembly out of the bag. Get a small Phillips screwdriver(#0 size), and remove the three screws holding the pump together. Carefully remove the bottom of the pump. Try to turn the impeller. If the impeller turns, good. Get some soapy water, and a detail brush, and scrub out the pump cavity. Hook the motor up to 12 volt battery, and see if it runs. Do not let it run long without water. Put the back plate back on the pump. Make sure the O-ring gasket in all the way in, and not pinched out anywhere. When starting the screws, turn them backward until you feel them drop in the screw hole a little, and then turn then forward. This lets the screws find the old threads, and follow them in. Tighten the three screws gently. Hook the pump up to the battery, and see if it still turns. Do not let it run long without water. Put the pump back in the bag, and install the clips that hold the pump back on the bag. Put the small hose back on, it plugs into the "in" side of the pump, marked on the bag. You should heat the ends of the hose up to make then nice and soft when you push them back on the bag, and pump. Put a piece of hose on the "out" port of the pump, and fill the bag partially with water. Hook the pump up to 12 volts, and let it run, just take the other end of the hose from the "out" port, and run it back into the filler hole on the bag. If the pump is pumping water, you can let it run for a little bit. Put everything back together, and do not forget to put an cold weather solution of washer fluid in the bag. Water only will freeze, and might hurt the pump.

Good info and good read. My first Datsun was a 510 and had no washer. (my old Dodge had a squeeze bulb on the floor) So this was what I was looking for and couldn't find. Turned out the electric motor was seized up from lack of use. I did much the same to fix it. Very quickly all makers riveted stuff together and you couldn't take it apart to fix... just throw away and replace.

i too have fixed the pumps. it's very easy. i just take them apart and clean it up with my dremel and bam! it works again. it seems to me they all fail due to rust locking them up from leaking and sitting. never have i seen a burned out motor. nice read danielc.

the hardest part is finding the bag with the plastic cap hanger still intact. it lets the cap hang next to the bag without loosing it. pm tdaaj has some bags and may be willing to ship. get one with the motor dissemble/clean and it'll work.

One of the things I like about the Datsun of the vintage we have is that they seem to be designed to be repairable. I have repaired fuel pumps, I have taken the starter solenoid apart, and cleaned the contacts, I have replaced the brushes in the alternator. I am working on the combination meter (the fuel gauge, speedometer, and temp gauge) by swapping parts from one to the other.

In todays throwaway society, it is nice to be able to fix things, and not just install another new part.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.