Where to find a instrument voltage regulator?

Spades

I have a '72 510 wagon, and I think the dash gauge voltage regulator is going out. My temp gauge only works up to the Cold mark(about the first 1/8th of an inch of the couple inches of the gauge). Also, even when I fully ground the gas gauge, it only goes to 3/4 of a tank.

Both gauges work, just not completely, and from what I have seen, the instrument voltage regulator is normally going bad, so I wanted to see where I can buy one. Any ideas?

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you tried taking it out, cleaning well, and re-installing? Make sure to clean the connectors well and try again. Might just get lucky, they get corroded and starting acting up.

haven't tried that yet, I will when I pull the cluster, I wanted to see if the regulators were available in case I cannot coax the original one back to life.

i have a used cluster that only has the fuel/temp gauge in it.

close enough?

"was working when removed" garuntee!!!

I have been sending you messages to try and trade for/buy one of the wagon back seats you have, I guess if I can't get the gauges working right I will add it to the list of stuff I am waiting to hear from you on, LOL :)

I have a '72 510 wagon, and I think the dash gauge voltage regulator is going out. My temp gauge only works up to the Cold mark(about the first 1/8th of an inch of the couple inches of the gauge). Also, even when I fully ground the gas gauge, it only goes to 3/4 of a tank.

Both gauges work, just not completely, and from what I have seen, the instrument voltage regulator is normally going bad, so I wanted to see where I can buy one. Any ideas?

I have one brand new in the box you can have for $20 shipped.

I will add to parts section later. Instrument panel voltage regulator part numbers are 25020-25900 [510 I believe] and 25020-13200 [410 / 411 series I believe]. I have used these interchangeably, the difference is in the mounting / grounding tab. Either bend it 90 degrees, straighten it out, or use as issued depending on what you get and what you need.

I've measured the operation of the stock 411 fuel gauge (the same gauge seems to be used on a number of other old Datsuns) and it reads full with about 7.5 volts when grounded. It should be possible to make up a solid state regulator using an LM317, 2 resistors and 2 capacitors. Should be able to build it up on a small piece of prefboard and install in place of the mechanical regulator.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, so I pulled the cluster today, and it looks like the voltage regulator is on the circuit board that the temp and fuel gauge bolt to...unless there is a different regulator somewhere in the system. I pulled that board off and cleaned all of the terminals, bolted it back together, and I get whacky readings now, or the same readings I had before (3/4 tank of gas showing 1/2 a tank, temp gauge only working in the first 1/8 of an inch).

I went through today and unplugged every connector on the car including the fuse panel, cleaned all of the connectors, then used a silver conductive grease on them and plugged them back in. still to no avail...I am thinking that if the voltage regulator is the small coil hooked on that circuit board that holds the temp and fuel gauges, I am going to guess the regulator is bad.

P.S. the car is a 72 automatic wagon with a temp and gas gauge in the center, no factory tack, with a speedo on the left and 3 dummy lights on the right.

I went through today and unplugged every connector on the car including the fuse panel, cleaned all of the connectors

did you clean the larger round pin connector too?

look closely at any brittle wiring.

i found some around the HL relay and fixing that cured other problems i hadnt even strarted looking into.

i have another cluster that only has the fuel / temp gauge on it.

yeah, I cleaned the round connector and pins...I also cleaned all of the plugs under the dash...and my fuse panel and engine bay. I wanted to eliminate all wiring connectors as a possible problem. I also inspected the harness, cutting the tape open to examine any problem areas, and the harness looks good.

Also, when all was said and done, I measured the voltage going into the small voltage regulator, and it is a solid 12.5+ volts(battery voltage)...coming out of the regulator to the gauges was around 5 volts...if I connect my temp gauge to ground, the temp gauge goes up to halfway, and the fuel gauge drops from 3/4 to a little less than 1/2. I don't think its wiring or connection related...the little regulator is tired and just wont put out the 8 or so volts to both the gauges like it is supposed to.

yeah, I saw that website already...my regulator isn't a box...its a printed circuit board on the back of my temp and fuel gauges.

anyone know where to get one or how to build a proper regulator from radioshack parts? so far all the ratsun members I have pm'd haven't pm'd me back, and I need working gauges.

how to build a proper regulator from radioshack parts?

so far all the ratsun members I have pm'd haven't pm'd me back, and I need working gauges.

a simple 1A regulator is readliy available, if you know what the output voltage is.

dunno if its 5VDC or not.

no PM for...

i have another cluster that only has the fuel / temp gauge on it.

a simple 1A regulator is readliy available, if you know what the output voltage is.

dunno if its 5VDC or not.

no PM for...

I think it is supposed to be 7.5v-8v...but haven't found out for sure yet, so building a regulator would be difficult. As far as the PM, that's weird, it should have gone through. I will send another one.

• 2 weeks later...

yeah. I still haven't found a used one for sale. several people say they have one, I have sent a PM to anyone that has offered, and after over a week, still no replies.

If anyone knows how to build one with modern resistors or has a working instrument voltage regulator(with or without the temp and fuel gauges, I will buy the whole thing if needed), please let me know! I need a working temp gauge before I can start driving this thing regularly, and the sooner I can get one the better...I really don't want another aftermarket gauge.

my 521 was acting up yesterday No work

I took it out and bend the tabs lookat the inside. just moved the wire around and installd it with th panel hanging out. I turned the key till I got it to work then reintalld everything back. try to ink mark it so the thing goes back in the same way with the housing can but its a series circut so i dont think it matter if you go it backwards

yeah, the regulator on my 72 510 wagon is on a circuit board right behind the fuel and temp gauges. that little regulator isn't supplying enough voltage, and before I invest in a aftermarket temp gauge, I was hoping maybe someone knew how to build one, or perhaps a ratsun member might finally answer one of my PM's and sell me a working one!