'72 620 Tranny Removal??

Is there a trick to removing the tranny from a 620. It's a 1971 that's had an 1800 put in it. The clutch bell housing is hitting on the firewall as I try to pull it back. Also the back of the tranny is above the fixed cross member. Even if I can get the trannt/clutch bell housing far enough back to clear the clutch, I don't see how I'd get the tranny down past this cross member. Thanks Kevin

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

cant be a 71. 620s didn't come out till mid 72. its a fight to get the trans out though. i have done ti on my 73 and its a PITA but it can be done. i ended up rotating the trans enough to pull it slide it back and through the shifter cover hole.

cant be a 71. 620s didn't come out till mid 72. its a fight to get the trans out though. i have done ti on my 73 and its a PITA but it can be done. i ended up rotating the trans enough to pull it slide it back and through the shifter cover hole.

You're right its a '72. I'm thinking if its such a bitch to get out, lining it back up getting it back in will be worse. I haven't tried rotating it yet. That would mean pure brute muscle w/o the aid of a jack. I wonder if I could separate the bell housing from the tranny and make it easier? The only other way I see is moving the motor, which means a cherry picker.

='Grey_Matter' date='29 June 2010 - 12:59 AM' timestamp='1277798377' post='319973']

pm sent

[/s]

Thanks GM. I'm going to try the rotate tranny trick later today. I'm sloooooowly recovering from hernia surgery so the thought of manipulating that bitch w/o a jack is a bit daunting, but I'll see I'll see if there's a way to provide some support for it so I'm not lifting the full weight. -K

Is there a trick to removing the tranny from a 620. It's a 1971 that's had an 1800 put in it. The clutch bell housing is hitting on the firewall as I try to pull it back. Also the back of the tranny is above the fixed cross member. Even if I can get the trannt/clutch bell housing far enough back to clear the clutch, I don't see how I'd get the tranny down past this cross member. Thanks Kevin

your tranny cross member should unbolt unless someone made it permanant :blink: .....man that sucks doing all that solo ouch...look at the pics on my profile you'll see the easy way to do any engine and tranny swap or work lol

No, but still doubt it would come out even if I did w/o firewall notch. Regardless its done and I'm waiting on a clutch to come in today. -K

I've pulled a few trannies from 620's without removing the engine or notching anything. I've also gotten them put back in the same way. I unbolted the exhaust though. :huh:

• 2 weeks later...

OK, I know that about 20 years ago I removed a tranny and replaced a clutch on a 620 just like this one. So I know it can be done w/o notching the firewall. Maybe the exhaust removal would have been the trick. But the exhaust bolts looked like rusted bitches and there's more than one way to skin a cat. :D

Right now I'm trying to put the tranny back in after replacing the clutch. I used the alignment tool to align the disk below the clutch plate, but the tranny still doesn't want to go back in. I bought some longer bolts and put them in where the tranny mounts to the engine to help line it up and the tranny is on a jack so I can move it around where ever I want, but I still can't seem to get it to go the last 2 inches. I think its not going in the pilot hole. Anything I'm doing dumb or any suggestions besides painting some hair around the pilot hole?? :P

• 2 weeks later...
2eDeYe' date='16 July 2010 - 09:56 AM' timestamp='1279299368' post='326167']

Put it in gear and spin the output shaft to get the splines to align.

Thanks, That helped. I put the cross member back in to hold up the rear of the tranny and used it as a leverage point between it and the tranny to keep pressure applied as I wiggled the tranny around. Popped right in once I got it lined up.

As a side note. Notching the firewall made putting in the top bolt on the tranny to engine alot easier than they came out. Getting then out required contortionism and bending a couple of wrenches.

In all my years and all the transmissions I have put in, the last one (an '81200sx) to a Z24, was the best. Heavy bitch to lift and slip into place while on your back. Anyway I got the back end up and slid back on the X member that holds the torsion bars and heaved the front nose up and forward and my hands slipped... but the input shaft slid forward through the splines, onto the pilot hole and slammed against the block!!!!!! W in TF??? :lol: :lol: Woot, who cares, I'll take it. I'd rather be lucky than skillful any day.