Z24 mods

newkid89

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder if an LZ hybrid could pass in Cali? Essentially, it's the same motor, and the right motor, it's just a different head... Think that would pass smog?

To the uninitiated it will look like the stock motor so tell them its an L20B. The test will be for that motor and not the lower emissions NAPS motor. This gives you a margin of safety.

To the uninitiated it will look like the stock motor so tell them its an L20B. The test will be for that motor and not the lower emissions NAPS motor. This gives you a margin of safety.

Unfortunately its not entirely true. If you tell them its an L-20b you will fail right off the bat but still have to pay. Our smog tests down here are bullshit! There are two parts to the test. The visual and the emissions. To even start the test they input your vehicles VIN into the computer that is linked with the DMV. It tells them what motor is supposed to be in there. The tech has to input the info BEFORE he looks under the hood too. My brother has a mustang cobra and went to get it smogged. The tech entered all the info and began the test. Didnt say a damn thing and ran the sniffer test, which by the way isnt that simple. Our cars are put on a dyno while the test is being run and tested at a load. End result he failed the test because he had a BBK adjustable fpr but the shop charged him anyway even though he passed the emissions side with flying colors! They couldent stop the test and the DMV knew he failed it. Three strikes and your screwed. Bottom line if you try to use an L head with your z24 your going to need all the emissions crap with the motor including an air pump and catalytic converter.

My mistake I thought it was a 620 with LZ24. Yes I can see you would not want to say it was an L20B.

I said this before. Get a totally correct emission passing motor and swap it in every couple of years just for the test. Next week slip your small bock back in.

Cut your teeth on this one. Get it running back to stock, drive it, play with the suspension, interior, paint and such. When your ready sell it and buy a pre 75 and go to town! Fuck the state and their smog laws!

In WA? How would they know? You're not tested now. Newer engines are legal (so long as they contain the equipement necessary- it's technically illegal to remove or disable any emissions component on any car, irregardless of the age, but it's seldom enforced on testing-exempt cars), and they still won't test. WA still uses the "25-year" rule, so next year everything 1983 and older will be exempt. Heck, I have a Mexican mid-70s J15 in my '68 (and when it had to be tested it passed).

That is, unless Washington changes the emission rules, again. They've had 3 different rules that I can remember. It's based off EPA smog rules- if a city/county/state hits certain numbers, they are required to implement some sort of controls/testing. WA's numbers have gone down since the 70s.

Some folks might remember when WA's rule was 1968 and newer had to be tested- that was the rule from 1985-1999. Before '85, every car 10 years old and newer were tested EVERY year. Basically, it was:

1980-84: All cars 10 years/newer tested every year

1985-1999: All cars 1968 and newer tested every other year

2000-current All cars between 5-25 years old tested every other year