brake lights/wiring 510

my brake lights aren't coming on. Fuses look good. My tail lights and turn signals work. I tried checking to see if the brake switch is bad by pulling the wires at the connectors a few inches from the brake switch and then attaching my continuity tester to the two leads to bypass the switch and I still get no lights. The bulbs are all good (top bulb flashes with signal as does one of the filaments in the middle bulb. Second filament in middle bulb comes on for tail lights. Bottom bulb of course is backup). Shouldn't one of these wires coming to the brake switch be hot all the time? I feel like one of these ought to light up my tester. At least that would tell me that power is getting to there and that my issue would then be with the switch or the ground.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ck the horn fuse for some reason thats the power for the light switch.alot of people dont know this.

see if your horn works if you have them.

also common on old datsun is the standard fuse make look good but the solder inside the ends could be bad and its really open circut.

your new favorite website, besides this ratsun "How To" section is good here also

http://olddatsuns.com/620tech.htm

ck the horn fuse for some reason thats the power for the light switch.alot of people dont know this.

see if your horn works if you have them.

also common on old datsun is the standard fuse make look good but the solder inside the ends could be bad and its really open circut.

your new favorite website, besides this ratsun "How To" section is good here also

http://olddatsuns.com/620tech.htm

I think you have nailed this problem! This is exactly what I found. By the way, if your Datsun is old enough the "Horn" lable on the fuse box cover reads "Corn", I kid you not!