Mission: Free Seized Drum

Well...I finally got after my new goon. My first order of bidness was to get the seized up right rear wheel moving. I disconnected the e-brake linkage and gave the lever lookin' thingy a lil tap. Nada...Then I tried the adjuster doohickey. It would only turn a fraction of a small degree and did nutin' to alleviate my sitcheation. Next I busted out da big f'in hammer and with the utmost care I gently persuaded the offending bastage drum to come loose...'cept it didn't bow to my mighty blows.

Beer time!

With some liquid skill (Oatmeal Stout) I ventured back and decided to get crafty. I gave the studs some gentle taps and got some movement. I then popped the bleeder and pulled the line...Nothing but the slightest movement. At this point I almost cussed. Seriously...I was really close to some choice profanity but kept my cool. Decided a bigger hammer was in order. I thought maybe I could loosen up the actual adjuster assembly and get some more movement and so I did. I even tapped it with the hammer to the tune of "If you're happy and ya know it". Got some more movement.

Smoke break!

Since I couldn't get the adjuster to budge much without fear of breaking it off I decided to knock the studs into the drum so I could douse the guts with some WD. Did that and picked up my tools for a regrouping while the ol' WD did work. Sure enough! Big whack on the drum and she was spinning! Since the adjuster was up top I didn't think I could have gotten much liquid up into it to matter. The fact that the adjuster still wasn't budging much made me decide it was time to get nasty...I decided to put a puller on the drum and said screw it to the guts. Someone had previously tried (unsuccessfully) to pry the drum off so the backing plate is mangled anyways. Only problem is I can't find my puller. Hmm...Thinking cap time!

Leverage is a fantastic tool. And I have a gorgeous pry bar. It really is! So I grabbed it and searched high and low for a bolt to thread into the drum. A water pump bolt from an A14 and some washers work nicely. I also used a 1/4" drive 13mm deep socket with a 3/8" short adapter to set in the hollow of the axle to pry against. Ever so gently I started to get the drum of.

Needless to say I was pretty stoked when it popped off. Didn't break anything either. Car didn't even bite which is a nice change of pace. Without the use of expletives I must add! So that's that!

Mission: Free Seized Drum accomplished!

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

most 510 drums have a jack crew hole where you run a 12mm head or is it a 8mm bolt thru i to push the drum off.

as for the adjuster soemtimes the piston inside my be rusted and the screw adjuster can not push the pistons to expand the drum brake from the top. I use a punch to bang them and clean them ut then the screw adjuster work fine after that with out using a vise grips stripping them out. I also anti seize the adjuster

Most 510 drums have a jack crew hole where you run a 12mm head or is it a 8mm bolt thru it to push the drum off.

Those must be the 2 threaded holes in the drum? I figured they must have been designed and intended for a purpose...Like getting the drum off with a puller. But if I can just run a bolt through it so it presses against the hub like axle end thingy (what's that called so I don't sound like a dummy?) to pop the drum off even better! Thanks for the tip mang!

I'm glad I didn't break or strip anything...Hopefully the adjuster will clean up nicely. I'll try to get the brake back together this weekend. I'll soak the rusty bits in oxalic acid cause I'm lazy and don't like cleaning rust. The marvels of modern science can do it for me!

dude i would totally have cussed, especially if you were working in that mudhole!!!! i respect your patience, the last seized drum i took off was on the right rear of my 240, i used a 10lb sledge, a torch, and 4 big screwdrivers :rolleyes:

Dude i would totally have cussed, especially if you were working in that mudhole!!!! :rolleyes:

It was pretty dry when I was working on it. Didn't start pouring buckets 'til 10pm or so...If I had needed to work on it in the mud outa necessity I assure you I would have cussed up a storm! But it's just a fun project so I feel no need to get bent.biggrin.gif

yes those are Jack screw holes 2 of them on 510s. But dont be surprised if you just pull the threads out.(make new ones if you have a Tap to what size thread YOU want and keep the bolt in the tool box.

for soem reason 521s dont have this and I have to bang them off from the oppisite ends or use those big Weed burner torche to get the last drum off my 521