Brake issues

Kyle253

Ok so I have replaced almost everything on my brakes and I'm running out of stuff to replace and am still having issues.

Whenever I drive more than 20 miles my front brakes get really tight and my pedal becomes rock hard.

Anyone have this same issue or know how to fix this?

I've replaced the Master Cylinder, Drums, Shoes, Wheel Cylinder, Hard lines and the two Front Hoses.

And I've replaced all this stuff all around the truck.

By the way it's a 72' 521.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Try taking the screen out of the brake fluid reservoir. I know it sounds silly, but if it gets wedged down in there too tight, it forms a seal and won't let fluid back into the reservoir when you let off the brakes, thus trapping the hydraulic fluid in the lines and wheel cylinders. The brakes engage, start dragging, and get worse and worse. If it sits overnight or for a while, the fluid SLOWLY seeps back into the reservoir. This very same thing happened to me and drove me nuts.

On the rod that comes off the brake pedal their is adjustment. My guess is it needs to be backed off a bit. What's happening is the master is not realising pressure all the way cause the brakes to stay on just a little bit the more ya drive the heat makes it even worse.

• Like 1

On the rod that comes off the brake pedal their is adjustment. My guess is it needs to be backed off a bit. What's happening is the master is not realising pressure all the way cause the brakes to stay on just a little bit the more ya drive the heat makes it even worse.

This is Very Extremely true!

He came over today and the pedal was firm ass! No play at all! The said adjuster was set all the way out. I adjusted it out a ways and that seemed to be too much. So we set it back a ways and that seemed to make them act right. We will see if it works long term, but my guess is that was the prollem. Hopefully he didnt smoke the shoes in the process!

• Like 1

This is Very Extremely true!

He came over today and the pedal was firm ass! No play at all! The said adjuster was set all the way out. I adjusted it out a ways and that seemed to be too much. So we set it back a ways and that seemed to make them act right. We will see if it works long term, but my guess is that was the prollem. Hopefully he didnt smoke the shoes in the process!

Thanks again for helping me!

Would have taken me awhile to figure that out.

• 7 months later...

Hi,

I just recently purchased a 1970 510 2 door and it is giving me the same problem. After running for about 15-20 minutes the brakes seem to grab harder and harder until I can barely do about 2 mph. At that point I had to floor it to get it to that speed. Once I stopped and turned it off and let it sit for about 20-30 minutes it released and the brake pedal felt normal.

Would the solutions you guys provided apply to the '70 510 as well? I found the screens in the brake master cylinder. The rod that connects to the brake pedal however I am a little unsure about. Is it the one that connects to the yoke/push rod eventually going into the brake master cylinder? I found a nut on that rod that looks like it might be able to make adjustments but I couldn't move it far.

Any help would be great, thanks!

• 1 month later...

i have a similar problem on my 74 620. however, it doesnt get harder to drive with and it doesnt reset itself after i turn the car off and let it sit for awhile, instead i just doesnt brake well. I think I need to adjust the drums but Im not entirely sure how to do that or if that is the only fix for the problem. basically when i press down on the pedal as if i were normally braking it doesnt engage much at all and really doesnt slow the truck down at all but once i give it some more pressure, the brakes lock and i skid. so i have to really baby the pedal slowly so it brakes slow enough to stop correctly. I cant brake at high speeds either otherwise it takes forever to stop. like i said i think it just needs an adjustment but Im wondering if any of you think otherwise? any suggestions?

thanks