how to identify a block!?

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Look at the pass. side of the block. Just under the head mounting surface, next to #4 cyl, there is a flat machined area that should have L20B stamped in it. The Z20 had this on the on the other side I believe.

Any pics?

The '80 A-10 (later 510) came with a Z20S in the states. The Z motors have the carb on the passenger side while the exhaust is on the drivers. The ID is just to the right of the #2 exhaust side plug and on the top edge of the block...

ZengineID.jpg

L20Bs are on the top of the block directly behind the dip stick handle. The carb and exhaust are both on the drivers' side.

LseriesID-1.jpg

thanks, guys!

the guy said he had an L20b to sell me, but it was indeed a z20 from a 1980 510.

i imagine that they never looked at the block, and looked up "510 engine" on google.

sounds like your looking at a z20 from an 80 510. if it was an 80 its would have a z-motor in it. does this engine have an crossflow head on it? pics!

i didnt take any pics of it.

how do i identify a crossflow head?

what are its advantages over a non crossflow?

Intake and exhaust on opposite sides of the head. Cross flow usually have better swirl and turbulence inside the cylinder. Cross flow heads are often hemi shaped and a cross flow is much easier to plumb for turbo and inter coolers.

now when you looked at this, was it a complete engine with the head on the motor? or was it just the bottom end?

either or, it would prolly be worth picking up. i think theres a few members on here that have lz20 combos. the z20 bottom end is the same as an l20, but it just a z-series block. youd have no problems puttin an l-series head on that. if i remember right the z20 had different pistons and with a l-series head makes it a peppy little combo.

just some food for though...

....if i remember right the z20 had different pistons and with a l-series head makes it a peppy little combo.

just some food for though...

The Z20E from the '80-'81 S110 sure is. The Z20E has the 6" long rods and flattop pistons on an L20b crank. A Z20E with an open chamber L head would have 9.94 compression. The Z20E flattop pistons are:

motorZ20EandZ20S720pistons4-1.jpg

The Z20S (carb motor) has a shorter rod and an undetermined dish that is used with a small chamber Z head similar in volume to the L head thus it would have a similar dish as the L20B (around 11.36cc)

Z20S piston:

motorZ20EandZ20S720pistons3-1.jpg

Oh yeah the Z20E piston uses thinner rings than the Z20S.