HELP ME PLEASE!!! WHAT CLUTCH DO I NEED???

I have a L20B engine and I'm ready to install it in my race car :hyper: , but don't know what clutch to buy and the auto parts stores are NO HELP :( !!! I measured the flywheel and it's about 11 7/8" across the contact plane and the bolt holes for the pressure plate are about 9 3/8" center to center when measured strait across. I miss the days when a parts counter worker knew how to use a book and could look up the part and the technical information for the parts. They say that telling them the flywheel size is of no use to them. When I go to the parts store they tell me I need to know what year it's from and what model vehicle it was out of. Apparently there are several different clutches depending on what vehicle it came from. Please help me out here if you know what this flywheel and engine would match up for as an original factory set-up. Thanks in advance for any help. :unsure:

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Eh?

What transmission do you have? I think a clutch from a 78-79 datsun pickup should do the trick.

I haven't hooked up the transmission in the race car to the L20b yet, but I have a 5 speed with 1,3,5 on top and 2,4,R on bottom for a shift pattern. The transmission currently has a L16B hooked up to it. does that help?

Do you know what the tranny came from?

right now it's in my 1969 510 wagon. I thought it was an original transmission, when I bought the car. I trying to upload a couple photos from under the car right now, give me second.

I measured the flywheel and it's about 11 7/8" across the contact plane and the bolt holes for the pressure plate are about 9 3/8" center to center when measured strait across.

The L20B equipped cars used a 200mm flywheel, all truck L20Bs used the larger 225mm flywheel. The flywheel contact area is measured like this:

flywheel240mmthree2Large.jpg

... and this one is a 240mm from a 720 truck. You are probably smarter and more knowledgeable than the parts guy so tell him 200mm or 225mm depending what you measure. If he needs a vehicle tell him a '77-'79 200sx for a car or a '75-'79 620 truck.

here's the photo...

th_DatsunTranny001.jpg

does this help?

Sure, that's an F4W63 4spd. the tranny that comes in the 510 standard. The tranny has nothing to do with clutch size or selection. The flywheel has everything to do with clutch size, only a 200mm flywheel with use a 200mm clutch.

The L20B equipped cars used a 200mm flywheel, all truck L20Bs used the larger 225mm flywheel. The flywheel contact area is measured like this:

flywheel240mmthree2Large.jpg

... and this one is a 240mm from a 720 truck. You are probably smarter and more knowledgeable than the parts guy so tell him 200mm or 225mm depending what you measure. If he needs a vehicle tell him a '77-'79 200sx for a car or a '75-'79 620 truck.

Sure, that's an F4W63 4spd. the tranny that comes in the 510 standard. The tranny has nothing to do with clutch size or selection. The flywheel has everything to do with clutch size, only a 200mm flywheel with use a 200mm clutch.

I just measured it that way, and it's 8 inches across the contact area. so it's about 200 mm

Yes the Roadster plate has the highest available clamping force and comes only in the 200mm size. Second highest is the 225mm truck. If you have a high performance engine then this is the ultimate stock plate to get. For most people the regular one is plenty. The Roadster plate is noticeably heavier to push down with your foot which may or may not be a problem for you if in lots of stop and go traffic. If you go with the Roadster plate more master cylinder pressure will be used and this may make the old one leak.

Yes the Roadster plate has the highest available clamping force and comes only in the 200mm size. Second highest is the 225mm truck. If you have a high performance engine then this is the ultimate stock plate to get. For most people the regular one is plenty. The Roadster plate is noticeably heavier to push down with your foot which may or may not be a problem for you if in lots of stop and go traffic. If you go with the Roadster plate more master cylinder pressure will be used and this may make the old one leak.

What year Roadster should I be looking for?

'67-'69 with U 20 engine. The Nissan number is 30210 20111 for the pressure plate only. Any disc will do including the stock one on your car as long as it's 200mm and in good shape.

Thanks for all the help guys. hopefully this will cure my parts hunting problems.

I have a L20B engine and I'm ready to install it in my race car :hyper: , but don't know what clutch to buy and the auto parts stores are NO HELP :( !!! I measured the flywheel and it's about 11 7/8" across the contact plane and the bolt holes for the pressure plate are about 9 3/8" center to center when measured strait across. I miss the days when a parts counter worker knew how to use a book and could look up the part and the technical information for the parts. They say that telling them the flywheel size is of no use to them. When I go to the parts store they tell me I need to know what year it's from and what model vehicle it was out of. Apparently there are several different clutches depending on what vehicle it came from. Please help me out here if you know what this flywheel and engine would match up for as an original factory set-up. Thanks in advance for any help. :unsure:

i work at a parts house and yes people are stupid, little punks that dont know shit about automobiles get hired and they are unqualified, i personally have looked in the sachs clutch catalog and found that the only difference in say the clutch for this datsun or that datsun (with an L18 or an L20 not the L16) is 5 or 6 bolt flywheel, tell them to get the catalog out and let you look at it, sachs took over dynapak so the dynapak numbers are no more! you have to use the sachs numbers for the dynapak clutches. if you havent fond one by friday i will get to work and find you a part number, how many bolt holes are on the end of your crankshaft????

He says L20B so it has to be 6 bolt. Clutches are not IDd by the number of crankshaft bolts The only determining factor is the flywheel. FWIW: There are three different 6 bolt flywheel clutch sizes 200mm, 225mm and 240mm and two 5 bolt flywheel clutch sizes 200mm and 225mm. I think he measured his and it's a 200mm.

I just measured it that way, and it's 8 inches across the contact area. so it's about 200 mm