Electric dizzy pedestal (plate)

Whats up guys!!!!!!

I'm installing a 1980 dizzy from a 720 on my 75 620 l20b to go electric, and I need the pedestal (plate) to be able to install it correclty. I already have the correct adjusting plate to adjust the timming, I'm just missing the lower pedestal that it bolts on to.

Help would be appreciated. send me a message or call Gus @ (213)280-1366

thanks

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i may have it.

post a pic( that i can see :angry: ) of the plate and ill see if i have a match...

For some reason I'm not able to add pics, or I don't know how? but if you give me you email I can email you a pic of which one I need thanks. also there is a really good pic of it under the electric thread with title (dizzy plate help needed.

can anyone tell me how to upload pics on this thing please its kinda fustrating.

thanks

\2010-05-20\dizzypedistals.jpg

I have one I will take a picture tomorrow?

I think I perfected on how to add pics thanks guys.

anyway the pedastal that I need is the one on the right I borrowed this picture from another thread here. Again I already have the time adjustment plate. I just need the pedastal. I'm willing to buy it and shipping thank you

well i guess adding pics is not my thing

I think I perfected on how to add pics thanks guys.

:lol: perfection is over rated!

I borrowed this picture from another thread here.

post that link...

this site doesnt support uploading from your computer, you need to use flikr(cuz i can see them) or photbucket, etc.

post that link...

this site doesnt support uploading from your computer, you need to use flikr(cuz i can see them) or photbucket, etc.

I did, I tried uploading the pics using the google program picasa but had no luck only the link appears :angry: . But did you get the pic that I sent you through email? :D

Thanks for the pics but the one on your pics is from a naps model, the one that I need is from a 77-79 620 I think not 100% sure what other years or models it comes off of. But I do know what it looks like though. (This is so that I won't have to turn the oil pump shaft)

Thanks again :)

no it is exactly like the one on my L20B

Do you have an electric dizzy on it? if yes did you have to do any modifications by turning the oil pump? because if this one will work for me I will take it just tell me how much including shipping to 90280. I can pay via any way you want.

thanks

there were 2 types of matchboxes on L motors

The pedastal in the photo is one(looks like a 90deg) then there is the other where the tang is more like 45deg.The Vaccum adv will be in differnt spots also.

Line moto up to TDC and see where the rotor points. If points inbetween 1&3 plg wires when the timming plate is in the center posistion then you know you got the wrong peadatal. car will run if you crank on it one way. You wont have much timming movemtn with the light. it will be obvios and no power.

another way is while motor is at TDC Zero on crank is move the oil pump in derection of the #1 plug wire. This will solve the proplem. Just rmeber when you get another dizzy installed it might not line up since spindal is off.

Hope this helpsI dont know if you could flip the timming plate upside down if that moves the slot in the direction you need.

PS If I call you Ill charge $2.99 a min!!!!!!!!

there were 2 types of matchboxes on L motors

The pedastal in the photo is one(looks like a 90deg) then there is the other where the tang is more like 45deg.The Vaccum adv will be in differnt spots also.

Line moto up to TDC and see where the rotor points. If points inbetween 1&3 plg wires when the timming plate is in the center posistion then you know you got the wrong peadatal. car will run if you crank on it one way. You wont have much timming movemtn with the light. it will be obvios and no power.

another way is while motor is at TDC Zero on crank is move the oil pump in derection of the #1 plug wire. This will solve the proplem. Just rmeber when you get another dizzy installed it might not line up since spindal is off.

Hope this helpsI dont know if you could flip the timming plate upside down if that moves the slot in the direction you need.

PS If I call you Ill charge $2.99 a min!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the info.

But now that I know there are two 90 degree angle & 45 degree angle how do I know which one I need? I'm trying to get the one that will avoid any wiered modifications. thanks

I guess you could put the dizzy on. with out the mount and when it locks in the slot take notice of where the timming plate is(if you even have a timming plate) when roto is at #1 exactly.

2 mounts = 2 types of timming plates.

This is why only grab/buy a Matchbox with mathing mount and timming plate as a set. Otherwise you might have a st of mismatched parts

olddatsuns.com

But did you get the pic that I sent you through email? :D

yes and replied. (cant see the reposted either - blocked :angry: )

let us know how that combo lines up.

it looks like you had all the pieces to get 1 set.

Do you have any idea as to what vehicle your distrutor came out of?

Hainz, do you know what vehicles the 45 degree pedestals came out of?

Here are pictures of 1980 720 L20B match box distibutors loose and also installed on my 1976 620 L20B in my 1966 520.

DSC00833.jpg

DSC00836.jpg

Hainz, thanks for all the help you give to the Datsun People.

Charlie I dont know what model or when was the split in matchbox dizzys is. If you read Jason Gray write up it will mention this . I dont and never have run a Matchbox myself. I was waiting to burn up my L16 single point /Pertronix conversions first.

I have a stash of mounts and timming plates.

But the 45deg mount is the harder one to get.remeber underneath the timming plate is that 8mm bolt holding the plate on you can loosen this to get more adv or retard also.

Why is the timming bolt on the opposite side on these pics? as oppose to the way that my points dizzy sits right now?

probably installed that way on purpose to keep the matchbox module away from the exhaust manifold.

Just as jefe de Jefe said to get the match box away from the heat of the exhaust manifold.

This is one of the simplest upgrades you can do to inproof performance on an L motor.

Putting the distributo in this way is the same way it is factory installed on the 1980 720 L20B. (Last year for the L20B in pickups).

There is no modification other than I place these distributors as seen in the photos, with the match box facing forward to avoid all the heat from the exhaust manifold. This is a bolt in upgrade for the L16 L18 motors.

First watch Hainz's video on Installing the timing chain on the L motor.

Bring your motor to top dead center on compression stroke of #1 cylinder

Zero your timing marks on the front crank pulley

Install the distibutor in the slot of the oil pump drive shaft

Leave the Vacuum line of the vacuume Advance pod on the distributor (be sure vacuume line for the distributor is plugged)

Put the rotor on snug up the distributor mounting bolts

Note the position of the rotor

Install cap, the tower where the rotor is facing is your #1 plug wire, wire the other 3 towers accordingly

Hook up a timing light and set timing per specs after engine is at full operating tamperature

Reconnect vacuume line after timing is set.

Timing is set at idle with the engine at operating temp. Be sure the idle rpm is correct before timing.

If I missed anything or there is a easier way please speak up.

Just as jefe de Jefe said to get the match box away from the heat of the exhaust manifold.

This is one of the simplest upgrades you can do to inproof performance on an L motor.

Putting the distributo in this way is the same way it is factory installed on the 1980 720 L20B. (Last year for the L20B in pickups).

There is no modification other than I place these distributors as seen in the photos, with the match box facing forward to avoid all the heat from the exhaust manifold. This is a bolt in upgrade for the L16 L18 motors.

First watch Hainz's video on Installing the timing chain on the L motor.

Bring your motor to top dead center on compression stroke of #1 cylinder

Zero your timing marks on the front crank pulley

Install the distibutor in the slot of the oil pump drive shaft

Leave the Vacuum line of the vacuume Advance pod on the distributor (be sure vacuume line for the distributor is plugged)

Put the rotor on snug up the distributor mounting bolts

Note the position of the rotor

Install cap, the tower where the rotor is facing is your #1 plug wire, wire the other 3 towers accordingly

Hook up a timing light and set timing per specs after engine is at full operating tamperature

Reconnect vacuume line after timing is set.

Timing is set at idle with the engine at operating temp. Be sure the idle rpm is correct before timing.

If I missed anything or there is a easier way please speak up.

Thank You Guys for all your Help!!!!!

Whats up guys!!!!!!

I'm installing a 1980 dizzy from a 720 on my 75 620 l20b to go electric, and I need the pedestal (plate) to be able to install it correclty. I already have the correct adjusting plate to adjust the timming, I'm just missing the lower pedestal that it bolts on to.

Help would be appreciated. send me a message or call Gus @ (213)280-1366

thanks

It isn't mentioned here, but you are also changing to the EI coil and eliminating the ballast resistor too? Plugs are slightly different but the old ones can also have the gap increased to between 0.038- 0.042".

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.