L20B fan in 510

I need to get my 510/L20B swap running soonest, so want to use the stock 1600 radiator on a temporary basis. I know I'll probably need to do a radiator upgrade in the future, but don't want to get sidetracked on that right now. It looks like there is no room to use the L20B clutch fan and blades. I need to swap my 1600 water pump and 4-blade fan onto the L20B, right?

Second question - Electric fan in front of a stock 1600 radiator won't give enough cooling for the L20B will it? I've read through a lot of old posts on radiators, and everyone goes with VW or something else, but are usually doing some sort of engine build at the same time. I'm staying stock L20B and moderate street driving - at least for now.

Len

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a 1979 L20B with a clutch fan/water pump in my 510.....

It fit with the stock radiator,,,,,, there wasn't much room, but it fit

I eventually swapped a L16 water pump and fan, because I thought the clutch fan was making noise,,, but it wasn't the noise

The temp guage would only move if I was going over 80mph on a hot day,,,, ,, but the temp guage never moved after I got the stock radiator re-cored to 3 rows...

Wow, thanks for all the fast replies. It sounds like removing the shroud is what I need to do. I could see the blades might fit on the clutch if I could get them past the shroud. But for some reason I was thinking the shroud is soldered to the radiator, and not easily removable. I just came in from spraying Blaster on the four bolts that hold the shroud on. Felt pretty dumb when I saw how easy it is to get the shroud off. I guess I was tired the other day when I was working on it. The fan was the last thing I worked on after a kind of long day. It is nice to have Ratsun guys to think for me when my brain isn't working well.

It gets up in the 90s here in E. WA just a few days out of the year, so I don't have to have a cooling system equal to what the Calif guys need. I'll see how I get along with the stock radiator and 6-blade fan.

I got my wiring hooked up enough to crank the engine over. It actually ran for a few seconds on carb cleaner. So on to hooking up hoses and getting coolant in it.

Len

Wow, thanks for all the fast replies. It sounds like removing the shroud is what I need to do. I could see the blades might fit on the clutch if I could get them past the shroud. But for some reason I was thinking the shroud is soldered to the radiator, and not easily removable. I just came in from spraying Blaster on the four bolts that hold the shroud on. Felt pretty dumb when I saw how easy it is to get the shroud off. I guess I was tired the other day when I was working on it. The fan was the last thing I worked on after a kind of long day. It is nice to have Ratsun guys to think for me when my brain isn't working well.

It gets up in the 90s here in E. WA just a few days out of the year, so I don't have to have a cooling system equal to what the Calif guys need. I'll see how I get along with the stock radiator and 6-blade fan.

I got my wiring hooked up enough to crank the engine over. It actually ran for a few seconds on carb cleaner. So on to hooking up hoses and getting coolant in it.

Len

I went to kennewick twice last year, and spokane once. It was over 100 every day there... :D

• 2 weeks later...

Update - L20B water pump with fan clutch and 6-blade fan successfully installed in my 510. Now that its in there, I don't know why I thought it wouldn't fit, as there is plenty of room between the blades and the stock radiator. From rough measurements, I'd say the clutch fan pump only sticks forward about 1/4" compared to the stock 1600 pump with 4-blade fan. However, it doesn't look like it is possible to remove the fan blades with the radiator in place. I pulled the radiator, installed the blades, then reinstalled the radiator. Easy to do since I already had everything drained and the hoses off. If the bottom hose is hooked up, it might be easier to pull the water pump and fan, if you need to change fans. I ended up changing water pumps since the pump already on the L20B had a different bolt spacing than the 6-blade fan I had on hand. Rather than waiting to find the right fan, I swapped in a pump that fit the blades I had. I don't know if there are more than two bolt spacings for 6-blade fan, but it is worth measuring if you are switching around pumps and fans. Also, the water pump pulley on my 1600 is a different diameter than the L20B pump, so takes a different length fan belt. It took me a few minutes to figure out why the 1600 belt was too long. Finally, the 6-blade fan is larger diameter than the 1600 4-blade, so the stock fan shroud won't work, but I suspect it won't be needed anyway.

And yeah, it can get hot here in E WA in July and August, but never lasts long. I'm usually working wheat harvest when it gets that hot, not going far in the 510. But I do want to get a decent temp gauge installed before the hot weather gets here.

Len

whats this fan shroud you speak of? :rofl:

Stock radiator should be fine really. Is it hot where you live?

You are referring to the Holy Fan Shroud of Turin?

sermon-shrouded.gif

"Below is "Christ The Redeemer" in Brazil. Praise Jesus. Praise the Fan Shroud of Turin that has kept us safe from overheating in traffic on hot summer days."

Christ_the_Redeemer-shrouded.gif

You are referring to the Holy Fan Shroud of Turin?

sermon-shrouded.gif

"Below is "Christ The Redeemer" in Brazil. Praise Jesus. Praise the Fan Shroud of Turin that has kept us safe from overheating in traffic on hot summer days."

Christ_the_Redeemer-shrouded.gif

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Now that is awesome :D I pulled the one off my 720 and tossed it. Yes, i know it has a purpose but damn that thing was in the way all the time.

yes the L20b pumps i seen had 2 types of fans. spacing centers were different. I assume 1 was car and other truck.

510 list a Clutch type as a opetion or is also in the nissanmotorsport catalog.

You have to pull that Radiator to swap water pumps. Cause the Long bolt that goes in the block thru the water pump will hit the radiator

The L20B I'm using came out of a 620 and the fan has the smaller bolt spacing. The pump I swapped onto it was from a 610 L20B and has the larger spacing. Oh yeah, the dreaded long captive bolt. I didn't think of that pesky thing. Its obvious the radiator has to be out to get the pump out. I just hope I remember that when its time to change pumps.

It turns out the fan is going to run a bit closer to the radiator than I thought it would. To space my trans crossmember down for the dogleg, I built spacers from rectangular tubing like in the DQ article awhile back. The studs I got were short, so I used an auto trans crossmember instead of the 4-speed one. I really had to pry around to get the bolts and studs in. I noticed this morning the engine motor mounts looked to be pulled toward the rear of the car. I unbolted the crossmember, and the engine moved forward where it should be, and closer to the radiator. Not by much, but the tip of the fan blades are quite close to the fittings for the auto trans cooler in the radiator. I may have to cut the fittings off. I tried the 4-speed crossmember and it seems to fit the studs fine without any prying. But I won't be able to get any longer studs until Tuesday. Oh well, there are plenty of other things to do (and probably redo a time or two) on the car - clutch slave cylinder, water hoses, gas tank. I should get the clutch working before I reinstall the crossmember anyway. If I guessed wrong on the clutch sleeve, the tranny will have to come out again.

datzenmike - I'm getting rid of my shroud to be on the safe side. I don't want to chance my shop turning into a shrine with people lined up in my driveway. Unless I can them charge admission. Hmmm, maybe I will keep the shroud.

Len